Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chess Players! - A New Chess Engine!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chess Players! - A New Chess Engine!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Your scores regarding GPU vs CPU are expected...
    And, that's the other thing... AFAIK lc0 might be the only chess engine designed for GPU computing as its preferred configuration.

Here are the World Computer Chess Championship rules and the hardware competitors are running on... The GPU configuration got a CPU (not GPU part) upgrade today so is even beefier...

https://www.chess.com/news/view/anno...s-championship

Believe the "Basic" package on the following page is the GPU hardware it's running on... And in addition to this, there are also 2 CPUs, about $3000 each...

https://lambdalabs.com/servers/hyperplane/customize

TSU
    Hi
    Yes, they mention cpu vs gpu... anyway, pushed a small fix upstream, if that's accepted, will submit to the games development repository.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Re the RPM...

Although the one-click installs don't work,
    I was able to download the LEAP RPM package and install locally.

Users should know that only OpenCL works if you're hooked up to Arena (That means this will work only if you have an AMD GPU).
    Am leaning right now to a problem with Arena and not with lc0 but that's pure speculation right now.

Although executing the console debug tests directly against the binary work fine,
    I can't seem to get the Arena chessboard to recognize the backend argument... I tried specifying "-b blas" and then "--backend=blas" both in the command and separately in the "Command Parameters" input field, but neither has an effect... When the runtime log is viewed, only the OpenCL backend is run.

So,
    Although I'll update documentation to mention the availability of your RPM, I'll also have to mention that at the moment it doesn't seem to be configurable for any other than the OpenCL backend when hooked up to Arena.

The problem does not exist with the binary built by my script but on the other hand as my documentation describes, it does not support any other backend than BLAS so I can't test for a possible compile difference... It may simply be that for some unknown reason Arena won't support the backend selection and there is no fault in lc0..

I'll have to try another chessboard...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

The problem is likely Arena...

I was able to install Cutechess, point to the binary from the RPM and specify the blas backend....

https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/releases

For those installing the Cutechess GUI on openSUSE, install the main RPM (first listed) and install.
    The install will complain about not finding a sufficiently late version of Qt-Base, ignore the dependency and select option 2, cutechess will work fine with what openSUSE provides today.

Don't forget to have a Networks file in the same folder as the lc0 binary, it doesn't have to be renamed and doesn't need to be explicitly named as a command parameter unless you have multiple files and want to specify one (A default can be found automatically).

Configure the command to point to the lc0 binary with "-b blas" as the command argument unless you want to specify something else (The binary currently is compiled to support only OpenCL and BLAS, not CUDA or any other backend).

Set up your chess game with lc0 as a player and start playing!

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Hi
    I see you pushed an update to your openSUSE install to the lc0 git repo. A couple of comments, the lc0 binary from the rpm is /usr/bin/lc0. There should be no need to move the binary, the user should look at command line options to point at the network file --weights=/path/to/file?

Why the additional repos in the install script, all files required are present in the openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed default release repositories (this is how the rpm is built)? It should be built with python3 in mind, hence my simple patch for checkdir.py using python3 rather than python. Not sure how/why python3-abseil is installed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I see you pushed an update to your openSUSE install to the lc0 git repo. A couple of comments, the lc0 binary from the rpm is /usr/bin/lc0. There should be no need to move the binary, the user should look at command line options to point at the network file --weights=/path/to/file?

Why the additional repos in the install script, all files required are present in the openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed default release repositories (this is how the rpm is built)? It should be built with python3 in mind, hence my simple patch for checkdir.py using python3 rather than python. Not sure how/why python3-abseil is installed?
    Yes,
    I've submitted a Pull Request to the main lc0 project.
    For now, people can see the preview in my own repo(link below)
    Comments and corrections are welcome.
    BTW - I just checked used the Tumbleweed RPM and the blas backend is working, now wondering unless you've made recent changes if the non-working blas backend is only the LEAP binary.
    Moving the binary is not required, but a convenience specific to the Arena frontend so that it can be automatically found by the Arena Engine Installation wizard.
    If only one weights file exists and is placed in the same directory as the binary, it will be found automatically no matter the name and no need for a command line parameter.

https://github.com/putztzu/lc0/blob/...USE_install.md

Re the additional repos,, they're not needed and actually won't work in TW which is why they're commented out in the script. But they're needed building in LEAP. Did not remove altogether because they might be needed sometime (so why remove something that might need plenty of research and constructing the entries again?). Unless I made a mistake, IIRC all should point to python 3.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Re the additional repos,, they're not needed and actually won't work in TW which is why they're commented out in the script. But they're needed building in LEAP. Did not remove altogether because they might be needed sometime (so why remove something that might need plenty of research and constructing the entries again?). Unless I made a mistake, IIRC all should point to python 3.
    Hi
    Well the Build Service is only using the default repositories (oss), so should not need any of the development ones... perhaps this is introducing issues at your end with leap 15.0 and the blas backend?

I've tested on Leap 15 and use the backend switch as well as the demux backend and batching for blas all seems to do it's thing.

I've also played with building just a blas default, but no changes so rolled back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Well the Build Service is only using the default repositories (oss), so should not need any of the development ones... perhaps this is introducing issues at your end with leap 15.0 and the blas backend?

I've tested on Leap 15 and use the backend switch as well as the demux backend and batching for blas all seems to do it's thing.

I've also played with building just a blas default, but no changes so rolled back.
    Actually, I don't have any problems with the blas backend when lc0 is generated by my script, and using your Tumbleweed RPM. The problem is using your LEAP RPM, and only with the Arena frontend (no problem with Cute Chess board). This almost certainly means that the issue is specific to the Arena frontend (one of, if not the primary board used by serious players today) and you won't see the problem testing only lc0 or with other frontends. Unless I modify my script to compile OpenCL as well as blas, I can't know if the problem is only with Arena or if your RPM is at fault.

It's hard for me to remember exactly what I encountered earlier on when I was first trying to get things to work, but I just ran a check just now running my script, modified to not add the LEAP repos and without python3-abseil.

Result is that although the build completed without error, when I hooked it up to Arena, protobuf refused to run, so lc0 wouldn't start.

So, for now I'll stay with what works... although I probably will find some spare time to pin down exactly what is minimally required.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

On Sat 12 Jan 2019 10:46:03 PM CST, tsu2 wrote:

malcolmlewis;2891397 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Well the Build Service is only using the default repositories (oss),
    > so should not need any of the development ones... perhaps this is
    > introducing issues at your end with leap 15.0 and the blas backend?
    >
    > I've tested on Leap 15 and use the backend switch as well as the demux
    > backend and batching for blas all seems to do it's thing.
    >
    > I've also played with building just a blas default, but no changes so
    > rolled back.

Actually, I don't have any problems with the blas backend when lc0 is
    generated by my script, and using your Tumbleweed RPM. The problem is
    using your LEAP RPM, and only with the Arena frontend (no problem with
    Cute Chess board). This almost certainly means that the issue is
    specific to the Arena frontend (one of, if not the primary board used by
    serious players today) and you won't see the problem testing only lc0 or
    with other frontends. Unless I modify my script to compile OpenCL as
    well as blas, I can't know if the problem is only with Arena or if your
    RPM is at fault.

It's hard for me to remember exactly what I encountered earlier on when
    I was first trying to get things to work, but I just ran a check just
    now running my script, modified to not add the LEAP repos and without
    python3-abseil.

Result is that although the build completed without error, when I hooked
    it up to Arena, protobuf refused to run, so lc0 wouldn't start.

So, for now I'll stay with what works... although I probably will find
    some spare time to pin down exactly what is minimally required.

TSU
    Hi
    Full list of build requires in addition to standard OBS build
    requirements;

Code:
    BuildRequires:  clang
    BuildRequires:  gtest
    BuildRequires:  meson
    BuildRequires:  ninja
    BuildRequires:  pkg-config
    BuildRequires:  openblas-devel
    BuildRequires:  pkgconfig(libprofiler)
    BuildRequires:  pkgconfig(protobuf)
    BuildRequires:  pkgconfig(zlib)

For OpenCL add
    BuildRequires:  opencl-headers
    BuildRequires:  pkgconfig(OpenCL)
    --
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default

Blog Entries

Yes,
    I've submitted a Pull Request to the main lc0 project.
    For now, people can see the preview in my own repo(link below)
    Comments and corrections are welcome.
    BTW - I just checked used the Tumbleweed RPM and the blas backend is working, now wondering unless you've made recent changes if the non-working blas backend is only the LEAP binary.
    Moving the binary is not required, but a convenience specific to the Arena frontend so that it can be automatically found by the Arena Engine Installation wizard.
    If only one weights file exists and is placed in the same directory as the binary, it will be found automatically no matter the name and no need for a command line parameter.

https://github.com/putztzu/lc0/blob/...USE_install.md

TSU
    Testing by chessplayers needed
    Particularly using the RPM which builds without error but sometimes might have a problem hooking up to a chessboard.
    The early feedback you can provide might promote openSUSE as a platform of choice by future players and developers!

And of course I'm also looking to improve the installation instructions.
    I don't know if non-chessplayers will understand enough of the app to analyze and evaluate functionality, though.

Your additional benefit is that you'll have an Engine that's among the strongest today, is cutting edge and is the only Engine capable of GPU computing (although currently only AMD support is compiled for now)

I would consider current status of the instructions "late Beta," ie next to Final Release quality.

Visit the link in the above quote to get started.

TIA,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

I tried with the RPM (thanks Malcolm) and Arena frontend, but I could not get any chess engine to play with Arena. I would make a move (as white) and black's (the computer's) clock would count down from 5-minutes, with no move being made, and the computer would lose on time without making a move.

It looks like an interface issue with Arena and the chess engines that I could not resolve, without spending more time on it than I was willing to give.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast