Thread: KPDF won't print PDF files

Threaded View

Default KPDF won't print PDF files

I don't often print PDF files, so I don't know when this problem appeared on my system; but when I try to print PDF files from KPDF in the Trinity DE suite, now I get these messages:

Code:
    "The MIME type application/postscript is not supported as input of the filter chain (this may happen with non-CUPS spoolers when performing page selection on a non-Postscript file). Do you want TDE to convert the file to a supported format?           [Convert]               [Cancel]
    and after pressing [Convert]:

Code:
    Select the target format for the conversion:
    text/html
    text/plain
    text/sgml
    text/x-c++hdr
    text/x-c++src
    text/x-chdr
    text/x-csrc
    text/x-java
    text/x-makefile
    text/x-pascal
    text/x-python
    text/x-tcl
    text/xml
    text/x-fortran
    application/x-perl
    application/x-perl-module
    application/x-python
    text/docbook
    text/x-log
    text/x-diff
    application/x-ruby
    [OK]         [Cancel]
    Selecting any of the above causes KPDF to close immediately without printing.

It's not clear to me what 'filter chain' this message is referring to: a CUPS filter? a TDEprint filter? something in the MIME database that's maintained by Konqueror? or ?

The Trinity-User mailing list suggests that I'm missing some printing component, but in all of the installations I've done from OpenSuSE 7 to Leap 15, all of the printing components (except the printer PPD) have been automagically installed by YaST, and printing PDFs has worked for me without doing anything special beyond installing the required PPD file; yet, now (relatively) suddenly I can't print PDFs.

My printer is a Brother HL4150CDN laser printer, using the PPD packages provided by Brother (they haven't changed for years, and I doubt that the problem happens that far along in the printing process).

Suggestions?
    Last edited by MisterSlippery; 28-Dec-2018 at 19:34. Reason: Clarification