Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No broadband access on Thinkpad T430

Blog Entries

Default Re: No broadband access on Thinkpad T430

Quote Originally Posted by b_martin View Post
    I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Leap 15 would be using the most stable version of the kernel.
    Leap 15.0 is using a stable kernel. But it is not the most recent stable kernel.

There might not be such a things as "the most stable version of the kernel". A current kernel is changing as the kernel developers add changes. So, in one sense of "stable", it is not stable. However, the stable kernel repo does give you recent kernels that the openSUSE team consider to be adequately stable.

If you have new hardware, a recent kernel might help. Most kernel drivers come with the kernel, so won't be a problem. However, for some video hardware, such as nvidia cards and amd cards, you have to get drivers from the vendor. And that's where there can be problems with newer kernels.

I am using the standard kernels for Leap 15.0, and those are working for me. But if I want to try a newer kernel, I can just add the kernels repo (as provided in the suggested link) and install a kernel from there. I would then disable that kernels repo, so that it would not update the kernel every day or two. The system always keeps at least two kernels, so I could boot to the Leap 15.0 kernel if I wish. When I last did something like that, I added "oldest" to the "multiversion.kernels" line in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf". That way I could be sure that at least one Leap 15.0 kernel was kept.

And if the latest kernel did not do anything useful for me, I could just uninstall it with no harm done. And you can ask here for help with that if you are not sure how.

When booting, the "Advanced" menu entry allows you to choose which of the available kernels to use for this boot.

It's your choice, of course. But deanno_ferrari suggested it, because he thought it might help you.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Don't forget to post the requested dmesg output. Pay close attention to syntax.
    Here it is:
    Code:
    linux-muav:~ # dmesg|grep e1000e
    [    7.408303] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.2.6-k
    [    7.408304] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2015 Intel Corporation.
    [    7.720917] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode
    [    7.829260] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 0000:00:19.0 (uninitialized): registered PHC clock
    [    7.932832] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1) 00:21:cc:cf:db:00
    [    7.932834] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
    [    7.932969] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: MAC: 10, PHY: 11, PBA No: 1000FF-0FF
    [   10.456880] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: renamed from eth0
    [   14.912833] e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 10 Mbps Half Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
    [   14.912837] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO
    [   24.035188]  mei_wdt iTCO_vendor_support iwlwifi kvm irqbypass snd_timer thinkpad_acpi joydev pcspkr thermal snd i2c_i801 battery ac lpc_ich cfg80211 rfkill soundcore mei_me mei shpchp btrfs xor raid6_pq dm_service_time scsi_transport_iscsi sr_mod cdrom ata_generic pata_acpi crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul crc32c_intel ghash_clmulni_intel pcbc aesni_intel sdhci_pci aes_x86_64 crypto_simd sdhci glue_helper cryptd mmc_core serio_raw nouveau mxm_wmi ttm i915 i2c_algo_bit drm_kms_helper syscopyarea ata_piix sysfillrect sysimgblt ehci_pci xhci_pci ehci_hcd fb_sys_fops xhci_hcd e1000e ptp drm pps_core usbcore drm_panel_orientation_quirks wmi video button sunrpc dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log sg dm_multipath dm_mod scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_emc scsi_dh_alua
    linux-muav:~ #

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that output. A quick google with one of the pertinent lines led me to this archlinux thread
    which describes similar NIC behaviour. It was suggested that enabling the 'SmartPowerDownEnable' paramter might be helpful (posts #4 -#6). The OP reported that it did help. Anyway, you could try creating /etc/modprobe.d/e1000e.conf (no promises though) and add the following...
    Code:
    options SmartPowerDownEnable=1
    Reboot once done and see if the ethernet negotiation has changed at all. If not, try suspending and resuming and check again.

FWIW, the following is mentioned with respect to the e1000e driver
    SmartPowerDownEnable

Valid Range: 0-1
    Default Value: 0 (disabled)
    Allows Phy to turn off in lower power states. The user can turn off this parameter in supported chipsets.
    Reference:
    https://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docu...ing/e1000e.txt
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 31-Dec-2018 at 23:44.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Leap 15.0 is using a stable kernel. But it is not the most recent stable kernel.

There might not be such a things as "the most stable version of the kernel". A current kernel is changing as the kernel developers add changes. So, in one sense of "stable", it is not stable. However, the stable kernel repo does give you recent kernels that the openSUSE team consider to be adequately stable.

If you have new hardware, a recent kernel might help. Most kernel drivers come with the kernel, so won't be a problem. However, for some video hardware, such as nvidia cards and amd cards, you have to get drivers from the vendor. And that's where there can be problems with newer kernels.

I am using the standard kernels for Leap 15.0, and those are working for me. But if I want to try a newer kernel, I can just add the kernels repo (as provided in the suggested link) and install a kernel from there. I would then disable that kernels repo, so that it would not update the kernel every day or two. The system always keeps at least two kernels, so I could boot to the Leap 15.0 kernel if I wish. When I last did something like that, I added "oldest" to the "multiversion.kernels" line in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf". That way I could be sure that at least one Leap 15.0 kernel was kept.

And if the latest kernel did not do anything useful for me, I could just uninstall it with no harm done. And you can ask here for help with that if you are not sure how.

When booting, the "Advanced" menu entry allows you to choose which of the available kernels to use for this boot.

It's your choice, of course. But deanno_ferrari suggested it, because he thought it might help you.
    I've had a problem with this thread. I got into some sort of loop related to having logged in in some way that was out of sequence, but it seems to be self healing.

Thank you for the outline of how updating the kernel. It doesn't seem so risky now. Incidentally I came in from the main page and clicked on SUPPORT and drilled down unitil I found a Documentation Portal. This gives me a more formal presentation of the kinds of information you have been selectively providing as I stumble along, Investing some time with this documentation should allow me to patch holes im my understanding of how a variety of functionss and how they are handled in openSUSE.

Because I thought I had started a problem with this thread, I started another one, but was since advised to use this one for continuity. Here is the single entry to the second thread:

This is new/old thread, because I may have done something hamhanded in the old one titled:
    No broadband access on Thinkpad T430

as it left off, I was being advised to upgrade to the current stable kernel and had been convinced that that wasn't as scary as it sounded. Convinced, I then noted something that probably got lost in the ether that because the T430 has no internet connection I would have to download from my rather ancient Thinkpad X61 running openSuSe 13.2 and transport the contents to the T430 via a USB stick. I imagine that is possible, but also that kernel updating to a machine with an internet connection may be more direct than that.

• So I need some instruction about updating to the current stable kernel via a download to my 13.2 machine, transport of the new kernel via a USB stick and doing the upgrade on the T430 machine.

It was suggested that enabling the 'SmartPowerDownEnable' paramter might be helpful (posts #4 -#6). The OP reported that it did help. Anyway, you could try creating /etc/modprobe.d/e1000e.conf (no promises though) and add the following...
    Code:
    options SmartPowerDownEnable=1
    Reboot once done and see if the ethernet negotiation has changed at all. If not, try suspending and resuming and check again.
    • I have added the /etc/modprobe.d/e1000e.conf file which did not solve the broadband access problem

lead me to Intel sites which offered drivers for Intel chipsets. My Thinkpad T430 has an Intel 82579 Gigabyte Network Controller, so this seems like the right one:

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* Intel® 10 Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections Under Linux*
    Version: 5.5.3 (Latest) Date: 12/22/2018

• I have downloaded ixgbe-5.5.3.tar.gz and have this file on a USB stick. I need instructions for installing that driver on the T430.

NOTE: To discover which network chipset I have, I remounted the HD that came with the machine which has W10 on it. (Glacially slow to load and sluggish to use). In addition to the network chipset, it has Intel Graphics 4000 and Nvidia NVS 5400M video chips. The BIOS shows that this machine came configured with a preloaded W8. I am wondering if that preload might have left other less visible BIOS settings that could be effecting the Leap networking. My loading W10, even though wireless is disabled and the Enet cable was not connected, may have affected the network circuit, per:
    If you've recently booted Windows OS and the network power management settings described previously are employed, then it is possible that the NIC has been left in a state which will effectively leave it crippled in the Linux environment. This was speculation, and some experimentation may be required (as mentioned in the pages linked to already) to check that this is not the reason for the connectivity issue you're encountering.
    There was considerable information in the link:
    https://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docu...ing/e1000e.txt
    including many driver loading options, most of which were unfamiliar to me. The one diagnostic item mentioned:
    271 ethtool
    272 -------
    273 The driver utilizes the ethtool interface for driver configuration and
    274 diagnostics, as well as displaying statistical information. We
    275 strongly recommend downloading the latest version of ethtool at:
    277 https://kernel.org/pub/software/network/ethtool/
    279 NOTE: When validating enable/disable tests on some parts (82578, for example)
    280 you need to add a few seconds between tests when working with ethtool.
    seemed like it might report useful information. Is that what you were referring to as a way to determine the state of the NIC?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123