Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No broadband access on Thinkpad T430

Blog Entries

Default Re: No broadband access on Thinkpad T430

Quote Originally Posted by b_martin View Post
    Just curious. I remember a file system rule in the Windows/OS2 world that disallowed spaces in file names, but then I think that got relaxed. That seems to be still a safe rule for Linux file names but not always followed?
    You are allowed to use spaces in filenames, but spaces are used by commands to delimit options etc, so you need to enclose such filenames within quotes, or use "\ " eg
    Code:
    cat Wired\ connection\ 1
    https://www.hecticgeek.com/2014/02/s...-command-line/

I have rerun the diagnostic cmds that you sent earlier in the chance that some things have changed.

Code:
            Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
            Speed: 10Mb/s
            Duplex: Half
    Auto-negotiation is failing for some reason.

I've also done screenshots of the Network Settings screen:

...Well I thought I could, but the Insert Image tool wants a url and doesn't allow me to browse local volumes for a file. If there is a way to refer to a local file as a url, I'd be glad to learn how.
    Use https://susepaste.org/
    In the top-right you can select 'Image' and upload your local image to it. Set the 'Delete After' period to something sensible. Don't copy the URL that it provides (as it's missing the file suffix), but rather right-click on the image presented and select 'Copy Image Location', and use that complete URL in your post.

I think I am here:

• Hardware/cables have been proven good
    • NetworkManager has control of network parameters
    • NetworkManager thinks I have a network connection, but I don't
    • DCHP has assigned an address
    • According to the LEDs on my hub, the port to the TP 430 is at least getting polled
    • Deleting and allowing the connection file to be recreated doesn't solve the problem
    Yes, agreed.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

I think I am here:

• Hardware/cables have been proven good
    • NetworkManager has control of network parameters
    • NetworkManager thinks I have a network connection, but I don't
    • DCHP has assigned an address
    • According to the LEDs on my hub, the port to the TP 430 is at least getting polled
    • Deleting and allowing the connection file to be recreated doesn't solve the problem

Yes, agreed.
    I started this project because I was running openSUSE 13.1--apparently past EOL -- on a 15 year old Thinkpad which tend to run forever, but there exceptions. I bought a high-end, highly rated used Thinkpad, a mate to the one I have. I committed to Leap15 because of a long history with openSUSE Linux which seems like one of the most professional distributions. I've had very excellent and responsive technical support from this forum. However, if I can't solve this problem with networks support and can't connect to the internet, the project will be a failure. This is in no way a complaint; only a statement of reality and a plea.

Blog Entries

I've had very excellent and responsive technical support from this forum. However, if I can't solve this problem with networks support and can't connect to the internet, the project will be a failure. This is in no way a complaint; only a statement of reality and a plea.
    I get that. Are you able to provide the following dmesg output please?
    Code:
    dmesg|grep e1000e

Blog Entries

It might be worth trying the current stable kernel perhaps (but be aware if using proprietary graphics drivers)...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...44#post2872444

Blog Entries

Here's a couple of interesting archlinux threads where it was found that Windows WoL/network power management settings were impacting on the NIC when booting into Linux...
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191981
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=189633
    Of course, only relevant if dual booting with Windows on this laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I get that. Are you able to provide the following dmesg output please?
    Code:
    dmesg|grep e1000e
    Thought I had done this....

Code:
    Password: 
    linux-muav:~ # dmesglgrep e1000e
    If 'dmesglgrep' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf dmesglgrep
    linux-muav:~ # cnf dmesglgrep e1000e
    dmesglgrep: searching ...linux-muav:~ #
    I swapped the drives back to their original T430s (and MS is so happy). The Leap machine is no happier and based on my original video problems after the initial swap, I tried to run, hoping it might fix the network problem:

Code:
    Password:
    linux-muav:~ # mkinitrd -A
    Creating initrd: /boot/initrd-4.12.14-lp150.11-default
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --no-host-only --logfile /var/log/YaST2/mkinitrd.log --force /boot/initrd-4.12.14-lp150.11-default 4.12.14-lp150.11-default
    dracut: No permission to write to /boot.
    update-bootloader: 2018-12-31 09:17:16 <3> update-bootloader-2729 run_command.274: '/usr/lib/bootloader/grub2/config' failed with exit code 1, output:
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    + /usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    /usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig: line 277: /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.new: Read-only file system
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Updating bootloader failed
    linux-muav:~ #
    I am running this as root, and as such I don't remember having a permissions problem before.

Blog Entries

Thought I had done this....

Code:
    Password: 
    linux-muav:~ # dmesglgrep e1000e
    If 'dmesglgrep' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf dmesglgrep
    linux-muav:~ # cnf dmesglgrep e1000e
    dmesglgrep: searching ...linux-muav:~ #
    Be careful with your syntax. It's not the letter 'l' - the '|' (pipe) symbol takes the output from one command and uses it as the input for the next command.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep...

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It might be worth trying the current stable kernel perhaps (but be aware if using proprietary graphics drivers)...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...44#post2872444
    When I was deciding whether to install Tumbleweed or Leap, I understood Leap to be "the most usable Linux distribution and stabilized operating system." I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Leap 15 would be using the most stable version of the kernel.

When I installed Leap15, I assume it contained a recent version of the kernal and some "generic" or non-proprietary drivers that were chosen by the installer as best fit for my hardware. Best fit wasn't good enough and produced significant problems in the task bar and vertical control. I think with the plain-vanilla state, I still had broadband support. I suspect that installing the different video driver caused the problem with NetworkManager. Installing a "current stable kernel" , which I assume does not uninstall the updated video driver and I run the risk that there will be incompatibility. That sounds like a risky choice for someone who does not know how to backout a kernel update.

Would I be better off running Leap 42.xx

BTW I am not dual booting. safer to have a separate machine for each OS.

Blog Entries

When I was deciding whether to install Tumbleweed or Leap, I understood Leap to be "the most usable Linux distribution and stabilized operating system." I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Leap 15 would be using the most stable version of the kernel.

When I installed Leap15, I assume it contained a recent version of the kernal and some "generic" or non-proprietary drivers that were chosen by the installer as best fit for my hardware.
    No, it is not using a recent kernel. It is essentially built using the same kernel/core as its contemporary SLED counterpart...

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap/Leap_kernel_version

Best fit wasn't good enough and produced significant problems in the task bar and vertical control. I think with the plain-vanilla state, I still had broadband support. I suspect that installing the different video driver caused the problem with NetworkManager.
    No, the graphics drivers and network driver behaviors are entirely unrelated.

Installing a "current stable kernel" , which I assume does not uninstall the updated video driver and I run the risk that there will be incompatibility. That sounds like a risky choice for someone who does not know how to backout a kernel update.
    If you've installed a proprietary graphics driver, then yes you would need to reinstall the driver (built with respect to the current running kernel). If you don't have the knowledge and/or time to do this, then don't install this kernel.

Would I be better off running Leap 42.xx
    Simple answer - I don't know. It would really depend on whether the kernel used in Leap 15 is suffering from some kind of regression, or whether your laptop's particular NIC chipset would benefit from a later version of the driver. We haven't really identified the underlying cause of the negotiation/connectivity issue.

BTW I am not dual booting. safer to have a separate machine for each OS.
    Ok, but in the context of the previous posts this is irrelevant. If you've recently booted Windows OS and the network power management settings described previously are employed, then it is possible that the NIC has been left in a state which will effectively leave it crippled in the Linux environment. This was speculation, and some experimentation may be required (as mentioned in the pages linked to already) to check that this is not the reason for the connectivity issue you're encountering.

Blog Entries

Don't forget to post the requested dmesg output. Pay close attention to syntax.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast