Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE not starting after running Partioner.

Hybrid View

Default KDE not starting after running Partioner.

Because of the Dropbox change, I have had to amend my /home partition to ext4. I backed it up, ran Partitioner from yast (in command mode), reload the /home directory and restarted. Despite the fact that everything appeared to hunky-dory before I rebooted, KDE failed to load. The startup routine switched to the normal session where you would expect KDE to start (the one you’d access via ctl-alt-f7) but then it hung. The KDE screens failed to appear.

However, I can logon in command mode in the session I access via ctl-alt-f1. This seems to work perfectly, if command mode is what I want, except that, when I log on as my normal user it tells me “”login: write last log failed: No space left on device”. But df tells me that /home is only 34% full, so it seems, at least superficially, that the problem does not lie with /home. But I can’t think of anywhere else that the problem could lie. (I don’t get this message when I log on as root btw.)

My machine is currently cycling between session 7 and session 1, which makes investigation difficult, but it is nonetheless possible. So where should I look? And any suggestions as to what I should do?

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE not starting after running Partioner.

Check permissions. In particular, check whether you own your own home directory.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johngwalker View Post
    However, I can logon in command mode in the session I access via ctl-alt-f1. This seems to work perfectly, if command mode is what I want, except that, when I log on as my normal user it tells me “”login: write last log failed: No space left on device”.
    It is perhaps trying to write last log to "/var/log/wtmp". Check the permissions there, too.

May to explain what the planned action was: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...99#post2890099

When this was indeed executed as the OP and I planned to do, then /home is populated as before without change of any ownership/permissions.

@johngwalker, You could check from the CLI login if your home directory is there
    Code:
    ls -l /home
    and if it, at first sight, contains what it should.

You say that you expect KDE to start, but IMHO you should first see a GUI login, not a desktop, on logical screen 7. Can you please explain?

Also, when your system switches all the time between logical screens 1 and 7 (never experienced such a thing), you could boot into run-level 3 to have a more stable environment to work on the problem.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    May to explain what the planned action was: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...99#post2890099

When this was indeed executed as the OP and I planned to do, then /home is populated as before without change of any ownership/permissions.

@johngwalker, You could check from the CLI login if your home directory is there
    Code:
    ls -l /home
    and if it, at first sight, contains what it should.

You say that you expect KDE to start, but IMHO you should first see a GUI login, not a desktop, on logical screen 7. Can you please explain?

Also, when your system switches all the time between logical screens 1 and 7 (never experienced such a thing), you could boot into run-level 3 to have a more stable environment to work on the problem.

Thanks, Hank.

i checked the contents of /home before I signed off the reloading. It contains what it should (three user home directories). I’ve just checked permissions and the home directory permissions look okay.

Pleas remind me how to boot into run level 3. I’ve done this before but a very long time ago

Blog Entries

Pleas remind me how to boot into run level 3. I’ve done this before but a very long time ago
    On the grub menu entry, hit 'e'. That should give you an edit screen. Scroll down until you find a line that begins "linux" (or might be "linuxefi"). Then append " 3" to the end of that line. Then CTRL-X should continue the boot to run level 3.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    On the grub menu entry, hit 'e'. That should give you an edit screen. Scroll down until you find a line that begins "linux" (or might be "linuxefi"). Then append " 3" to the end of that line. Then CTRL-X should continue the boot to run level 3.

I did this. But before doing this I ran sudo reboot from my user account, and it told me that there was no room to write on a file in /var. However, after the usual pause the PC rebooted and I was able to do the above (and thanks to hcvv for his contribution).

as soon as I got back in I ran df -h, and sure enough that says /var has all 40G used. What is going on?

Blog Entries

as soon as I got back in I ran df -h, and sure enough that says /var has all 40G used. What is going on?
    That's something for you to investigate.

Here, "/var" uses less than 1G. Maybe there are some coredumps.

You can perhaps use "du /var" to find where the space has gone.

Thanks nrickert.

That gave me a very long list of files, none of which stands out as being overly big. And it gives a lot of files whose size in zero.

What does stand out from the df -h output though, is the whole range of partitions thatbare 100% full. In fact, the only ones that aren’t temps or devtmpfs are /boot/df i and /home. This makes me wonder whether, when using Partitioner, I accidentally resized the /home partition and reduced the others.

Is this possible and is there some way to check this? And if I have done this, what is the easiest way to fix it?

Blog Entries

That gave me a very long list of files, none of which stands out as being overly big. And it gives a lot of files whose size in zero.
    You are looking for where most of the space has gone.

Try this way.

Code:
    cd /var
    du -s *
    That should just tell you the amount of space in each subdirectory.

Look for directories that are surpisingly large. The "cd" into such a directory, and repeat the "du -s *".

Work you way down until you find likely cultprits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast