Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KDE not starting after running Partioner.

Default Re: KDE not starting after running Partioner.

Thanks nrickert.

That gave me a very long list of files, none of which stands out as being overly big. And it gives a lot of files whose size in zero.

What does stand out from the df -h output though, is the whole range of partitions thatbare 100% full. In fact, the only ones that aren’t temps or devtmpfs are /boot/df i and /home. This makes me wonder whether, when using Partitioner, I accidentally resized the /home partition and reduced the others.

Is this possible and is there some way to check this? And if I have done this, what is the easiest way to fix it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johngwalker View Post
    That gave me a very long list of files, none of which stands out as being overly big. And it gives a lot of files whose size in zero.
    You are looking for where most of the space has gone.

Try this way.

Code:
    cd /var
    du -s *
    That should just tell you the amount of space in each subdirectory.

Look for directories that are surpisingly large. The "cd" into such a directory, and repeat the "du -s *".

Work you way down until you find likely cultprits.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

Isn't this just another case of too many saved BTRFS snapshots?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Thanks nrickert.

What does stand out from the df -h output though, is the whole range of partitions thatbare 100% full. In fact, the only ones that aren’t temps or devtmpfs are /boot/df i and /home. This makes me wonder whether, when using Partitioner, I accidentally resized the /home partition and reduced the others.

Is this possible and is there some way to check this? And if I have done this, what is the easiest way to fix it?
    we understand that it is difficult now to do copy/paste from the screen, but this means we depend very much about your exact description. Thus when you in post #9 says that /var fills u[p to 100% and you now tell that there are more, that is very confusing.

Also, you can probby connect a USB memory stich to the system, mount that e.g. at /mnt and then do things like
    Code:
    fdisk -l >/mnt/fdisk-list
    And then later mount it on the system where you make thse postings to list it and do the copy/paste.

I do not think you changed the size of other partitions., but an fdisk -l will show. Also it might be good to tell which filesystems are at 100%. Also the suggesteion of @mrmazda is to be checked.
    Henk van Velden

I have to confess that I have never mounted a USB stick in command mode before. I have been googling like mad and found lots of help, but everything I have tried ends in failure. Every time it tells me that I have selected the wrong file system type.

My Windows laptop tells me my USB stick uses FAT32. When I google what to do on the /mount the web sites say use -t vfat or -t msdos. Either should work, I’m told, but neither does.

I tried mounting the removable disk that I used to tar the /home directory. This was originally mounted via KDE but I’ve used it to run tar in command mode, both to create the archive and reload /home. Windows tells me it’s format is NTFS, but when I try to mount it I’m told it doesn’t have a valid NTFS

The commands I’ve tried for the USB stickare
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb/ /run/media
    and
    Code:
    mount -t msdos /dev/sdb /run/media
    and for the backup disk
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb/ run/media
    I've checked that /dev/sdb is the correct device by unplugging it. When there is something plugged in I get the fs errors. When there is nothing plugged in it tells me there is no such file or directory.

i am now tearing my hair out. I know I must be making a simple error, but after several hours trying I just can’t see it.

I would try without any fs type to see if mount can find out itself what it is (it is heuristic, but often works).

But I would never mount at /run/media. It would block all that is in there now!.

Just use /mnt.
    Henk van Velden

i am now tearing my hair out. I know I must be making a simple error, but after several hours trying I just can’t see it.
    Maybe it would help to read http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/VFAT now, and when you wish to manually mount removable media, examine what the kernel reports right after physically attaching:
    Code:
    blkid
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Normally a file system resides on a partition on the device not on the raw device. So maybe try /dev/sdb1

fdisk -l should list any partitions present

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Normally a file system resides on a partition on the device not on the raw device. So maybe try /dev/sdb1

fdisk -l should list any partitions present
    And that is also a very good one!!!!!
    Henk van Velden

Thanks for the replies. They were amazingly helpful.

blkid was the command I was looking for, and yes, gogalthorp was right: I should be using /dev/sdb1. The stick is now mounted!

It’s now vey late and I’ve had a busy day. I will post the output from the various diagnostic tomorrow morning, when I’m less tired and less likely to make a silly mistake.

once again, thank you all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast