Thread: Install on SSD

Default Install on SSD

I intend to install the OS on an SSD in the next week. I will use BTRFS for the root partition, but I'm not sure about the home partition: EXT4 or XFS? Which is the better choice?

TIA
    OpenSuse 15.1, Plasma 5.17
    Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Mobo; 16G Ram
    Intel Core i5-4570 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install on SSD

Honestly, you will have to decide that for yourself.

Personally, I went with "ext4", but for no particular reason other than that I have used "ext4" previously.

I have also used "xfs" previously (in a KaOS install), and I did not have any problems with it. But when I later reinstalled KaOS, I switched to "ext4". And there was a reason. KaOS was using "xfs" for the root file system. But I sometimes find it useful to install grub on root partition, and "xfs" does not support that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

... what prevents you from using btrfs there also? the only advantage of xfs/ext4 on desktop is a more performance (e.g. not needing balance), but as you are using ssd this should not be bottleneck on you.
    I had some serious problems with xfs that btrfs had not when using drives in other pcs or scaling it up in raids an so on, so i don't trust it anymore - for me i always go btrfs. With next kernel its even getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Honestly, you will have to decide that for yourself.

Personally, I went with "ext4", but for no particular reason other than that I have used "ext4" previously.
    +1
    ext4 is rock solid and if you have experience with it I see no reason to get involved with new tools, new limitations/tricks etc. for a personal install. It might be easier to share that /home with other distros on the same system if you experiment with those.
    If that is part of a corporate net there might be reasons to go the xfs way though.
    btrfs is not a primary choice for /home unless you carefully plan for snapshots, subvolumes etc. IMHO
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Ok, ext4 sounds good all around (I've always used it, and this is a simple home system). But when I do the install using ext4, will the proper trim options be set in the fstab -- or will I have to manually insert them? (My understanding is that btrfs and xfs do all this trimming stuff automagically.)

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    +1
    btrfs is not a primary choice for /home unless you carefully plan for snapshots, subvolumes etc. IMHO
    -> thats only for root. on /home you don't need those features at all. the only thing to do is in sysconfig to add you home to balance. even for personal btrfs has many advantages e.g. compression, as this works completely transparent and speeds up files. cow can be turned on and of on files plus many more, you can use.

HTML Code:
    Ok, ext4 sounds good all around (I've always used it, and this is a  simple home system). But when I do the install using ext4, will the  proper trim options be set in the fstab -- or will I have to manually  insert them? (My understanding is that btrfs and xfs do all this  trimming stuff automagically.)
    You will not have to do anything different with the install (this will automatically set the right settings for your SSD). You will notice the speed from boot to up & running.

Quote Originally Posted by susesteve View Post
    ...But when I do the install using ext4, will the proper trim options be set in the fstab -- or will I have to manually insert them? (My understanding is that btrfs and xfs do all this trimming stuff automagically.)
    When you install on SSD you should find a timer that discards unused blocks once a week ( /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/fstrim.timer ); that is usually all you need on a personal system, so nothing special to do.
    On a high load server you may need something different and have to configure accordingly.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

OK, thanks to all -- and to all a Happy New Year.

Steve