Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arm-linux toolchain

Hybrid View

Default arm-linux toolchain

Hi to all,
    sorry If this post do not correspond to this forum (please move it to the correct forum).
    I need to install an arm-linux toolchain in TW and in yast2 I see cross-arm-gcc8, cross-arm-none-gcc8 and cross-arm-gcc8-bootstrap. Do I need those 3 ?(cross-arm-binutils is selected by default). I need to work with an arm7 processor. Someone has experience working with arm in opensuse? I got this link https://software.opensuse.org/packag...ux-gnueabi-gcc, but I cannot see it on yast. What precautions do I need to take care off before start working with cross-arm toolchain (environment variables)?
    Thanks
    Gastón

Blog Entries

Default Re: arm-linux toolchain

I will request that your post be moved to the Programming/Scripting Development Forum.

https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...ming-Scripting

There you should also find some previous threads about cross-compiling.
    IMO what you chose may depend in large part with what you are trying to do, and if there is existing code that can kickstart what you're trying to build (eg search Github gists). If you find code you can use, it'll usually come with suggestions for a setup.

You may also want to consider a build environment, not just a tool-chain.
    Recently on another project I was looking at, I was reminded of Meson.

Personally,
    I try to avoid cross-compiling if possible.
    Usually "real hardware" is required anyway for testing, so I'll try to build on the target platform.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston1980 View Post
    Hi to all,
    sorry If this post do not correspond to this forum (please move it to the correct forum).
    I need to install an arm-linux toolchain in TW and in yast2 I see cross-arm-gcc8, cross-arm-none-gcc8 and cross-arm-gcc8-bootstrap. Do I need those 3 ?(cross-arm-binutils is selected by default). I need to work with an arm7 processor. Someone has experience working with arm in opensuse? I got this link https://software.opensuse.org/packag...ux-gnueabi-gcc, but I cannot see it on yast. What precautions do I need to take care off before start working with cross-arm toolchain (environment variables)?
    Thanks
    Gastón
    Hi
    What about creating a KVM/qemu (qemu-arm) machine to work in, there is also OBS. I use a Tumbleweed aarch64 (RPi3) along with OBS for my builds. You can use qemu with OBS so can build locally.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    What about creating a KVM/qemu (qemu-arm) machine to work in, there is also OBS. I use a Tumbleweed aarch64 (RPi3) along with OBS for my builds. You can use qemu with OBS so can build locally.
    A lot depends on what is being built.
    QEMU can emulate at least the CPU, but all the other I/O devices in a target would be problematic.
    In the end, would be better to either use an emulator specific to the RPi model or on a real, physical device.

IMO,
    tSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Did someone work with the Allwinner chips? (V3s in particular). There is no ISe to work with this chip, that is way I was asking about cross-arm toolcchain in opensuse TW. What about Linaro? Did someone worked with this chip on Opensuse TW?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Did someone work with the Allwinner chips? (V3s in particular). There is no ISe to work with this chip, that is way I was asking about cross-arm toolcchain in opensuse TW. What about Linaro? Did someone worked with this chip on Opensuse TW?
    Thanks
    Hi
    I would suggest heading over to IRC Freenode #opensuse-arm to see which ones have, there are a number of images available;
    http://download.opensuse.org/ports/a...leweed/images/

thanks for the link. I was thinking about build u-boot-the kernel and be able to create the SD card to boot linux on this chip. To do that I need a toolchain in opensuse but I found a few link (1 year ago) with problems installing cross-arm on opensuse. The other way around is use Linaro on opensuse, and Im really new in opensuse.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

thanks for the link. I was thinking about build u-boot-the kernel and be able to create the SD card to boot linux on this chip. To do that I need a toolchain in opensuse but I found a few link (1 year ago) with problems installing cross-arm on opensuse. The other way around is use Linaro on opensuse, and Im really new in opensuse.
    Thanks
    Hi
    It's probably a bad time of the year as well, many people will be heading off on Holidays.... I saw your questions on IRC, if you can try again and stay active in the channel you might get some help

thanks, have a nice and peaceful holidays.
    Gaston

Thanks
    Hi, its been a long time since this question. I have retake this project, and in the middle (lost any info I have found) lots of things. Im still wondering If using the cross-arm-gcc9 of opensuse I will be able to compile and run linux on V3s. Im on IRC opensuse-arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast