Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arm-linux toolchain

Blog Entries

Default Re: arm-linux toolchain

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston1980 View Post
    Hi, its been a long time since this question. I have retake this project, and in the middle (lost any info I have found) lots of things. Im still wondering If using the cross-arm-gcc9 of opensuse I will be able to compile and run linux on V3s. Im on IRC opensuse-arm.
    It may be possible,
    But my experience has been very poor...
    Because mobile (non-x86) systemboards generally have a lot of proprietary I/O devices built in, which means they're not going to be distributed in the kernel and might not be that easy to find and compile.

QEMU generally works fine if you can find yourself a fully built image of a system because it'll likely contain all the drivers and configuration needed, then you only need to find the right combination of hardware emulation(which isn't always possible), but developing... Usually systemboard OEMs will provide their own development environments and then expect you to build to the real physical hardware.

IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

hi to all,
    I retake this project and I lost every information I could gathered. Now Im still wondering I could perform this

"make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf"

in opensuse Tumbleweed.

Looking in yast I can only see cross-arm-gcc9 (along qith cross-arm-gcc7 and gcc8). Its possible to perfomr this on Tumbleweed? I need to cross-compile linux for arm7 chip from allwinner.
    Regards

Blog Entries

I'm not clear what you're trying to do.
    When you cross-compile something, it means that you're building something that's not compatible with your running environment...
    eg
    You're building something on Linux to run on Windows.
    Or
    If you're building on an x64 TW to run on an ARM.

So,
    Am wondering why this is posted to the Virtualization forum, how do you intend to use virtualization?
    If you intend to build something in x64 TW to run on an ARM, then this does not involve virtualization although you would need either a real device or a virtual machine to test your results.
    If you instead deployed a virtual machine that emulates the ARM device, you could install build tools in your virtual machine and build natively... with reasonable chance for success (A real physical device is more certain than any emulator).

As for your question about whether that make statement would work, to that point it could but of course your statement is not complete so who knows whether the full statement might work.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Tsu, thansk for reply. I didn't see your post (it was in the other page ).
    I have an allwinner V3s arm7 processor. I made my own custom board and now I try to compile linux kernel to boot from this arm7 processor. So I need to cross-compile (im using Tumbleweed machine 64). I finally didi it using Linaro, but a few question remains regarding making my own dts file for this board. I need to find a tutorial about his, Im really new to this embedded world. Im on IRC opensuse-arm. Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Gastón

Blog Entries

OK,
    As I posted earlier in this thread,
    I can't see anything here that has anything to do with virtualization, so I'm, going to again request that this thread be moved to the Programming and Scripting sub-forum of Development.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12