Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Request to mount a HDD at Login

Default Re: Request to mount a HDD at Login

You need to add it to /etc/fstab

I use this to mount a ntfs

UUID=5C5CC8BA6E7B9C8B /run/media/gregory/SHARED_ntfs ntfs defaults 0 0

If the drive isn't always there you can use something like this.

UUID=5C5CC8BA6E7B9C8B /run/media/gregory/SHARED_ntfs ntfs defaults,nofail 0 0

Once YOU add it to fstab as recommended then it will mount whether you log in manually or automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    You need to add it to /etc/fstab

I use this to mount a ntfs

UUID=5C5CC8BA6E7B9C8B /run/media/gregory/SHARED_ntfs ntfs defaults 0 0
    While I said that technicaly you can use any directory, I would not reccommend to use a place inside /run. That is for system use and specialy /run/media is used for the desktop mounts of spontanious added file systems for desktop users. Better keep away from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GDixon View Post
    Once YOU add it to fstab as recommended then it will mount whether you log in manually or automatically.
    That is not true. It will not mount at log in (manually or aotomatically) it will mount at boot and thus be mounted always. And that is exactly what the OP asked for: mounting it at boot.
    Henk van Velden

If the OP is dual-booting with windows, this could be the hibernate-instead-of-shutdown windows 10 "feature".

By default my dual boot installs set the windows partitions read only. I had to disable the fast boot option in windows and then edit fstab something like:
    Code:
    LABEL=windowsC       /windowsC            ntfs-3g    ro,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8                 0 0
    LABEL=windowsD       /windowsD            ntfs-3g    noatime,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8            0 0
    Note the first partition, windowsC is ro, as it has W10 system files. windowsD is rw, so I can transfer files to it from the LEAP 42.3 partition. Note also the different dmask 002 option, IINM dmask 022 did require root permission.

If you don't disable fast boot and write to a windows partition, on next boot oS will boot to a terminal logging a disk error. You have to go back to windows and do an fsck (or something similar) to "fix" the disk, then oS will boot normally.

It's been some time since I had to do this, so my recollection is a bit fuzzy, so YMMV.

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    I have an 80GB storage HDD that I put in this HP Compaq DC7700 CMT prior to installing Leap on that PCI card PATA HDD.
    The past week or so I get a 'popup' prior to login asking for root PWD to mount it. BTW, I do Auto Login if that makes a difference.
    Why? and can I disable that?

Side note: in retrospect, that is probably where I should have installed Leap 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is not true. It will not mount at log in (manually or aotomatically) it will mount at boot and thus be mounted always. And that is exactly what the OP asked for: mounting it at boot.
    That is NOT what I asked. See my OP is reiterated here^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    If the OP is dual-booting with windows, this could be the hibernate-instead-of-shutdown windows 10 "feature".
    By default my dual boot installs set the windows partitions read only. I had to disable the fast boot option in windows and then edit fstab something like:
    Code:
    LABEL=windowsC       /windowsC            ntfs-3g    ro,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8                 0 0
    LABEL=windowsD       /windowsD            ntfs-3g    noatime,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8            0 0
    Note the first partition, windowsC is ro, as it has W10 system files. windowsD is rw, so I can transfer files to it from the LEAP 42.3 partition. Note also the different dmask 002 option, IINM dmask 022 did require root permission.

If you don't disable fast boot and write to a windows partition, on next boot oS will boot to a terminal logging a disk error. You have to go back to windows and do an fsck (or something similar) to "fix" the disk, then oS will boot normally.

It's been some time since I had to do this, so my recollection is a bit fuzzy, so YMMV.
    Good info IF I ever need it.
    Fastboot is off, Windows is not in 'hibernate'. In fact I have not started Windows 10(nor 7) on this old desktop in a month or more.

Somehow, like a lot of my posts, this one got way out of the original intent.
    1- I have 3 hard drives
    2- The PCI card one that Leap is installed on.
    3 - The 'main' HDD that has Windows 10 and Windows 7 on separate partitions.
    4- and that 80GB hard drive that cause this 'problem' although it is not a problem.
    5- I don't care if that 80GB storage drive doesn't auto mount! I can mount from Dolphin any time I want.
    6- The Windows HDD does not auto mount either! And I don't get a popup for it.

My question remains:
    Why is it during boot, immediately before the GUI starts, Leap pops up that request to enter root PWD.
    That is what I asked originally, and that has not been addressed.
    So, live with it Bill, and move on!
    HP Compaq desktop Win10,Win7, Linux.
    Toshiba laptop Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can print and backup my iPod and Pad with Windows, can't with Linux.

Blog Entries

That is NOT what I asked. See my OP is reiterated here^^^^

Good info IF I ever need it.
    Fastboot is off, Windows is not in 'hibernate'. In fact I have not started Windows 10(nor 7) on this old desktop in a month or more.

Somehow, like a lot of my posts, this one got way out of the original intent.
    1- I have 3 hard drives
    2- The PCI card one that Leap is installed on.
    3 - The 'main' HDD that has Windows 10 and Windows 7 on separate partitions.
    4- and that 80GB hard drive that cause this 'problem' although it is not a problem.
    5- I don't care if that 80GB storage drive doesn't auto mount! I can mount from Dolphin any time I want.
    6- The Windows HDD does not auto mount either! And I don't get a popup for it.

My question remains:
    Why is it during boot, immediately before the GUI starts, Leap pops up that request to enter root PWD.
    That is what I asked originally, and that has not been addressed.
    So, live with it Bill, and move on!
    Hi
    Not some encryption on the device? Might be a stale entry left in /etc/mtab (as opposed to /etc/fstab).

After it's mounted via the password what is shown in the output from;
    Code:
    mount
    cat /etc/mtab
    lsblk
    Any duplicate entries to the same 80GB device?

Now, as root user, open a terminal and manually unmount;

Code:
    su -
    umount /dev/sdc1
    Now reboot, does it ask for the password still?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

malcomlewis, I will try that IF and WHEN i see that popup again.
    Reason I say this is:
    3 times booted with auto login , NO popup to mount the 80GB HDD
    3 times booted with manual login , NO popup

So I will leave it as manual login for several days, then go back to auto and see what happens.

After issuing the first commands you posted, and then the lsblock:
    Code:
    lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk  
    ├─sda1   8:1    0     8G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda2   8:2    0    40G  0 part /
    ├─sda3   8:3    0    60G  0 part /home
    └─sda4   8:4    0     1K  0 part  
    sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk  
    ├─sdb1   8:17   0   100M  0 part  
    ├─sdb2   8:18   0 314.7G  0 part  
    ├─sdb3   8:19   0   468M  0 part  
    └─sdb4   8:20   0 150.5G  0 part  
    sdc      8:32   0  74.5G  0 disk  
    └─sdc1   8:33   0  74.5G  0 part  
    sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  

To me that is not a duplication for /dev/sdc. I may be wrong.

The request to mount didn't popup when in manual login, but did it again after I went back to auto login. So I mounted it via Yast>Partitioner and mounted it in /tmp.
    If I did that about 5 of the programs I installed would not work. They looked like they were starting up, then the task bar icons just disappeared.
    unmounted that drive, and my programs work again.

BTW> after I did the mount in Yast, the next boot it then asked me for permission to mount the HDD win10 is on.
    I get the impression that if I had more HDD';s and mounted each with Yast, then it would ask me for the next in line.

BTW2> that popup appears to happen just right before what would be the login screen.

I'll leave it in auto login, only one click to make the popup go away, and as I have stated before, I can always mount them when I need them via Dolphin.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Bill_L

Blog Entries

The request to mount didn't popup when in manual login, but did it again after I went back to auto login. So I mounted it via Yast>Partitioner and mounted it in /tmp.
    If I did that about 5 of the programs I installed would not work. They looked like they were starting up, then the task bar icons just disappeared.
    unmounted that drive, and my programs work again.

BTW> after I did the mount in Yast, the next boot it then asked me for permission to mount the HDD win10 is on.
    I get the impression that if I had more HDD';s and mounted each with Yast, then it would ask me for the next in line.

BTW2> that popup appears to happen just right before what would be the login screen.

I'll leave it in auto login, only one click to make the popup go away, and as I have stated before, I can always mount them when I need them via Dolphin.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Bill_L
    Hi
    OK, so it does sound like something is being cached as your user and autologin to restore the last session, if you mount via dolphin in your user session, then before logging out ensure it's not mounted, does the issue arise on reboot?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    OK, so it does sound like something is being cached as your user and autologin to restore the last session, if you mount via dolphin in your user session, then before logging out ensure it's not mounted, does the issue arise on reboot?
    Yes it arises on reboot or next boot. I assure 'mounted' HDD's that do not have Leap on them are unmounted before shut down. In fact it happens if I don't mount during a session.

In /tmp? Are you sure you want to have /tmp on that disk?
    Henk van Velden

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast