Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

I don't know if relevant to your issue,
    Take a look at the following from Lennart Poettering's blog... I seem to remember there's another blog article devoted to this topic somewhere but this is what came up with an Internet search... Take note the last couple paragraphs in the VT section...

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html

Bottom line is that when you open a terminal session, you may not be connecting to the specific terminal you think you want, particularly if it's already being used for something and apparently the Gnome Desktop in particular is known to utilize several terminals. When the terminal is unavailable, systemd will instead utilize whatever is available...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I don't know if relevant to your issue,
    Take a look at the following from Lennart Poettering's blog... I seem to remember there's another blog article devoted to this topic somewhere but this is what came up with an Internet search... Take note the last couple paragraphs in the VT section...

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html

Bottom line is that when you open a terminal session, you may not be connecting to the specific terminal you think you want, particularly if it's already being used for something and apparently the Gnome Desktop in particular is known to utilize several terminals. When the terminal is unavailable, systemd will instead utilize whatever is available...

TSU
    Hi
    By default and desktop agnostic, openSUSE sets VT's and Reserved to six (6), there is some other underlying issue that changed over kernels and seems desktop specific...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    On my system a DE login and a VT login still shows the file at 0 bytes. Hopefully others with and without the issue can confirm file size....
    Hi malcolmlewis,

I am not so much of an expert, I'm afraid. Could we thus briefly get the following straight:

1- What exactly do you mean be 'DE login'?

2- And what do you mean be 'VT login'?

3- I understand from your previous posting ('I have no issues with Leap 15.0, GNOME on Xorg and console login') that you do not have the same a login issue that I have. Do you therefore regard a btmp with 0 bytes normal?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

Quote Originally Posted by kallistos View Post
    Hi malcolmlewis,

I am not so much of an expert, I'm afraid. Could we thus briefly get the following straight:

1- What exactly do you mean be 'DE login'?
    Hi
    Desktop Environment (I use GNOME as my DE)

2- And what do you mean be 'VT login'?
    Virtual Terminal accessed via ctrl+alt+Fn where n= 1 through 6

3- I understand from your previous posting ('I have no issues with Leap 15.0, GNOME on Xorg and console login') that you do not have the same a login issue that I have. Do you therefore regard a btmp with 0 bytes normal?
    Yes, correct, I have no issues switching/logging into a VT (1 through 6) as my user or root, since I see that file (btmp) at zero bytes on Leap 42.3 and 15.0 (x86_64 and aarch64), now on Tumbelweed it's 384bytes....

Hi all,

Does it make sense to come back to the journal entries regarding the login-try:

Code:
    xxx@xxx:~> sudo journalctl -b --no-host | grep "tty1"
    Dez 21 19:19:02 systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM tty1 FOR xxx, Authentication token manipulation error
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Service has no hold-off time (RestartSec=0), scheduling restart.
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: Stopped Getty on tty1.
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
    Plus these lines:
    Code:
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: gkr-pam: couldn't get the password from user: Conversation error
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: pam_unix(login:auth): conversation failed
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: pam_unix(login:auth): auth could not identify password for [xxx]

Is this significant in any manner for the issue that we have?

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Does it make sense to come back to the journal entries regarding the login-try:

Code:
    xxx@xxx:~> sudo journalctl -b --no-host | grep "tty1"
    Dez 21 19:19:02 systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM tty1 FOR xxx, Authentication token manipulation error
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Service has no hold-off time (RestartSec=0), scheduling restart.
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: Stopped Getty on tty1.
    Dez 21 19:20:54 systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
    Plus these lines:
    Code:
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: gkr-pam: couldn't get the password from user: Conversation error
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: pam_unix(login:auth): conversation failed
    Dez 21 19:20:51 login[2335]: pam_unix(login:auth): auth could not identify password for [xxx]

Is this significant in any manner for the issue that we have?
    Hi
    I see;
    Code:
    Dec 21 13:30:05 gekkota-nagios systemd-logind[938]: New session 5 of user xxx
    Dec 21 13:30:05 gekkota-nagios login[20268]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user xxx by LOGIN(uid=0)
    Dec 21 13:30:05 gekkota-nagios login[20268]: LOGIN ON tty2 BY xxx
    If you create a test user, login to your test user desktop and then do the switch to a VT, can you login as the test user? It looks like a pam/keyring issue...

If you create a test user, login to your test user desktop and then do the switch to a VT, can you login as the test user? It looks like a pam/keyring issue...
    Did the following:

1- Created (a new) test user
    2- Logged out from KDE
    3- Logged into KDE as the test user
    4- Changed to VT (Strg-Alt-F1) and tried to login as test user

--> The issue remains the same.

Blog Entries

Did the following:

1- Created (a new) test user
    2- Logged out from KDE
    3- Logged into KDE as the test user
    4- Changed to VT (Strg-Alt-F1) and tried to login as test user

--> The issue remains the same.
    Hi
    OK, so delete that user and home directory, create the test user again, now just logout of KDE and then switch to a tty and try logging in as the test user. Still the same?

Still the same?
    Still the same!

Added another little test (just in case it's relevant):

Removed the test user AND the auto-login function (via YAST user and group management module) so that I won't be logged into KDE automatically following boot. After boot and before logging into KDE switched to VT and tried to login:

--> Issue remains the same.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast