Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Hi all,

Is there a not too complex way in openSUSE to install an older version of the kernel - say: 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default - as an intermediate remedy?

1- Is there an archive of older official kernel versions accessible somewhere in the openSUSE world to provide for the download?

2- What would I need to consider and what to configure to get this kernel implemented? I assume the basic thing would be to get the respective vmlinuz version into the /boot directory. But what would be more to do? Would there be anything to configure in the /boot directory (or elsewhere) or with Grub (to get it included in the start menu)?

Best regards and thank you very much!

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Is it really gone from your system already? 12.22.1 hasn't been removed from any of mine yet. It's still in update on the mirrors (no need for separate archive) http://download.opensuse.org/update/...2.1.x86_64.rpm and can be reinstalled with zypper --oldpackage or YaST2.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It's still in update on the mirrors (no need for separate archive) http://download.opensuse.org/update/...2.1.x86_64.rpm and can be reinstalled with zypper --oldpackage or YaST2.
    Alright, that worked very fine: Thank you very much, mrmazda! I have done the installation with YaST2 and the kernel version 12.22 is now available in addition to the others in the /boot directory. Also, the symbolic link vmlinuz now points to the 12.22 vmlinuz executable...

However, after the next boot-up things got a bit confusing:

1- The standard item in the Grub boot menu would still boot kernel 12.28
    2- In addition to that, the /boot directory seemed to have lost the newly installed files

In fact, there were now two new paired snapshots numbered #2795 and #2796, respectively. The lower numbered #2795 does contain the 12.22 kernel within the /boot directory while snapshot #2796 does not, thus representing the directory version prior to the installation of the 12.22 kernel.

The latter one is the one into which the standard item in the Grub menu boots.

I now wonder how I can safely activate the 12.22 kernel version?

Thanks a lot once again!

Quote Originally Posted by kallistos View Post
    Alright, that worked very fine: Thank you very much, mrmazda! I have done the installation with YaST2 and the kernel version 12.22 is now available in addition to the others in the /boot directory. Also, the symbolic link vmlinuz now points to the 12.22 vmlinuz executable...

However, after the next boot-up things got a bit confusing:
    It seems that your "old" kernel was purged on the next boot; to keep it you need to add its exact version to the /etc/zypp/multiversion.d/zypp.conf file, search for the line beginning with "multiversion.kernels=" and follow the instructions available just above it.
    Ask here if you need help.
    Alternatively you can just add "oldest" to the list if you have no other kernel version older than that.
    Then reinstall that kernel version... and keep your fingers crossed
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Blog Entries

Personally, I would have used Yast Software Management to install kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default. To do that in Yast, click the "Versions" tab near the bottom of the screen, and check the box for the one that you want to install.

However, your problem is that this will be removed on the next boot, unless you explicitly boot to that kernel.

What you need to do, is edit "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf".

Look for the line that says:
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running
    and change it to:
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = oldest,latest,latest-1,running
    That way, 12.22 will be kept as the oldest kernel, until you explicitly remove it.

By the way, I had different problems with 12.25, so I made that change here. And I'm keeping 12.22 until I'm sure everything is good. In my case, 12.28 seems to have solved my problems. I will remove 12.22 as soon as there is another good working kernel as the next oldest.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    It seems that your "old" kernel was purged on the next boot; to keep it you need to add its exact version to the /etc/zypp/multiversion.d/zypp.conf file,
    Sorry for a wrong copy/paste, it is /etc/zypp/zypp.conf as nrickert correctly wrote.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Okay guys,

Thanks a lot, indeed! That's how my /etc/zypp/zypp.conf looks like after I have added 'oldest':

Code:
    multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
    [...]
    multiversion.kernels = oldest,latest,latest-1,running
    After editing this I have first removed and then re-installed the 12.22 kernel (using YaST as described by nrickert).

After reboot the 12.22 kernel is available in /boot but it's still the 12.28 kernel that gets actually booted!?

Any further idea on that? Maybe, I should just get rid of the 12.25 and 12.28 kernels...

Blog Entries

After reboot the 12.22 kernel is available in /boot but it's still the 12.28 kernel that gets actually booted!?

Any further idea on that? Maybe, I should just get rid of the 12.25 and 12.28 kernels...
    You can select the "Advanced" menu entry to pick the kernel you want.

As far as I know, "grub2-mkconfig" will always generate a menu that prefers the latest kernel. I don't know of an easy way to change that, other than manually editing "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg".
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can select the "Advanced" menu entry to pick the kernel you want.
    Great, here we go...I've got my virtual terminals back...hooray! Thanks a lot for your support once again: I really appreciate that!

To make things easier at boot time, I might still remove the unusable kernel versions...

Bye and have a beautiful day!
    Kallistos

Blog Entries

To make things easier at boot time, I might still remove the unusable kernel versions...
    I'll suggest that you just edit "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg". Look for the first line that begins "linux" (or perhaps "linuxefi") and change that to the kernel you want. And then change the matching "initrd" line that comes next.

This will stick until "grub2-mkconfig" is next run. That happens on kernel updates, grub updates, shim updates. But most updates won't affect it.

Yes, you could remove the kernels that you don't want. But then every time that you do updates, you will find a kernel update ready to reinstall the kernel that you don't want.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast