Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Quote Originally Posted by damidim View Post
    Thanks for reporting. I have added myself to the "CC:" list for that bug.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Thanks for reporting, too.

Yesterday evening I installed the 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default kernel although I have read here that this might not solve the problem. But for me it was the solution.

I can log in on tty1 to tty6 again. Everything seems to work again.

I'm running opensuse Leap15 on a ThinkPad X240.

I will watch the bug report, since I could reproduce the problem with the 12.25 kernel if desired.

Have a nice day.

Kernel maintainers have asked if anyone has solved this by trying KOTD? Installing kernel 4.20 is easy to do with zypper or yast if you copy http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...rnel:HEAD.repo into /etc/zypp/repos.d/
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Kernel maintainers have asked if anyone has solved this by trying KOTD? Installing kernel 4.20 is easy to do with zypper or yast if you copy http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...rnel:HEAD.repo into /etc/zypp/repos.d/
    I'm pretty sure they were talking about the Leap 15.0 version of KOTD

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...15.0/standard/

And that repo has recently built 4.12.14 kernels. By the way, the url that you provided is broken.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

'Twas way past bedtime and I cut and pasted from an obviously wrong tab, then didn't notice.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I believe was experiencing the same problem. I have installed 4.12.14-lp150.198.g0b2ed98-default, and now the problem seems fixed.
    However, I must add, I have somehow been able to "fix" the problem with the old kernel (4.12.14-lp150.12.28.1-x86_64), but I don't know how. I was trying things with hitting ctrl+j instead of <enter> and other physical keyboards at the time, unsure what the problem was. Then suddenly the problem went away and I was not able to reproduce it, until my next reboot.That was when I found this thread. To try and convince myself that it was really the kernel update that made the difference I did a reboot before installing the new kernel, observed that the problem was still present, then I installed the new kernel, rebooted and observed that the problem was fixed.

I heard having an nVidia graphics card might somehow be related? I'm on a Thinkpad w520 with optimus chip, nVidia card disabled in the BIOS, so only using integrated Intel card ("Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller"), I do have nouveau installed though (but not currently in use).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kroppyer View Post
    I heard having an nVidia graphics card might somehow be related? I'm on a Thinkpad w520 with optimus chip, nVidia card disabled in the BIOS, so only using integrated Intel card ("Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller"), I do have nouveau installed though (but not currently in use).
    Please start a new thread, with a proper subject.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Please start a new thread, with a proper subject.
    This post was in exactly the correct thread.

I have the same problem: KDE Plasma Version: 5.12.6 | KDE Frameworks Version: 5.45.0 | Qt Version: 5.9.4 | Kernel Version: 4.12.14-150.12.28-default.

Wanting to log in as a user: PW not accepted. Requesting a new PW: Entering all info required not possible because of screen overflow
    (formatting problem after having entered and confirmed new PW).

More 'statistics': LEAP 15 and KDE, Kwallet disabled.

RGDS, Jan Christian

I too, have installed 4.12.14-lp150.198.g0b2ed98-default, and now the problem seems fixed.

VirtualBox guest is OpenSUSE 15 with MATE desktop and it now allows tty1-tty6 to login. Unable to do this with -25 and -28 kernels.
    Opensuse 15.0 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast