Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'll suggest that you just edit "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg".
    Alright...that was an easy task...and it absolutely works!

Thank you very much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

If you have not already installed it, there is a grub update waiting for you. And you may have to repeat that edit after the update. But it is still the best way for you to proceed for now.

I assume that you have reported a bug on this. I think I remember seeing it on browsing recent bug reports.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I assume that you have reported a bug on this. I think I remember seeing it on browsing recent bug reports.
    Hi nrickert,

No, actually, I haven't reported this anywhere else than here. What bug reports have you been browsing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kallistos View Post
    What bug reports have you been browsing?
    I try to browse the bugzilla mailing list once or twice per day. That's at
    Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-bugs
    I usually browse by-date, and look at the most recent date.

I just took another look there, and I could not find a bug report. But perhaps I'm not searching for the right thing.

In any case, it might be a good idea for you to report a bug. You can report here:
    Submitting bug reports. And you can report it as a kernel bug. Mention which kernels fail and which one works.

Maybe include a link to this forum thread.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Yesterday, I posted a message about the exact same problem kallistos described:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...20#post2889920

The strange thing is that it doesn't seem to depend only on kernel's version. As I mentioned at the bottom of my post, I have two other desktop machines with the same kernel version (but with different hardware components from the problematic computer), in which no login problem exists. The first has amd ryzen/nvidia graphics/asus mb and the second intel core 2 duo/ati radeon/asrock mb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by damidim View Post
    Yesterday, I posted a message about the exact same problem kallistos described:
    Yes, I saw that.

The strange thing is that it doesn't seem to depend only on kernel's version.
    Yes, it seems to depend on kernel and hardware.

I am not seeing a bug report for this. It would help if you could make such a report.

I have two kernel repos configured here, though both are currently disabled. They are:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/openSUSE-15.0/standard/
    The first of those usually has the latest kernel, perhaps headed to Tumbleweed. And the second seems to have the experimental test kernels for Leap 15.0. If you have the time, you might want to experiment with a kernel from one or the other of those repos, and add comments to your bug report about what works. That will help the kernel developer team work out where the problem is.

If you try kernels from either of those repos, and if you are using a UEFI box, then turn off secure-boot. Those kernels are signed, but probably not with a key that your system recognizes.

My own experience with kernel repos, is that it is best to install the latest kernel from that repo, and then disable the repo. Otherwise it messes with package updates, because there's always a newer kernel in the kernel repos. So I leave disabled until I want to try a kernel from there.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I'm experiencing the same issue here on a thinkpad laptop. Can't even start any GUI-program with
    Code:
    /usr/bin/xdg-su
    like YAST, so this bug is annoying. Right now I log in as root via KDE-GUI.

Where would be the appropriate page to report this bug?

I quickly searched for this bug on the internet but could not come up with other links where people complain about this issue. I assume this is not opensuse related so a more general issue-tracker would be more appropriate.

Thx.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fred_feuer View Post
    Where would be the appropriate page to report this bug?
    You can report that here:

openSUSE: Submitting bug reports

And please do. I don't think I have yet seen a bug report on this. And it needs to be reported by somebody who is experiencing the problem.

One of our users, mrmazda, has helpfully listed a number of users who seem to be affected HERE

I assume this is not opensuse related so a more general issue-tracker would be more appropriate.
    It might be. It seems to be a kernel issue, and that might depend on specific openSUSE kernel patches.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I searched bugzilla.redhat.com trying to find similar issues. I'm not sure whether I found any or not, but doing so made me wonder what those who have this problem here have in common. Could it be SELinux causing waits or timeouts?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I am not seeing a bug report for this. It would help if you could make such a report.
    I've just reported it:

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1120391

In the next days (probably on Sunday), I'll might try to install the current development kernel from the repositories you gave me. Thank you for your help.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast