Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,700

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

    Hard Ware.....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Europe, Germany
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

    Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    They broke tty support after kernel 22 - if you have run level 5 and switch to any tty console 1-6.
    I just booted into runlevel 3 and got the same issue: It does not seem to be limited to runlevel 5.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Europe, Germany
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Hard Ware.....
    Thanks for that!

  4. #14

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

    Has anybody a solution for this problem?
    I'm on a HP zBook with openSuSE Leap 15 an Nvidia K610M. Maybe it is an issue from the graphic cards driver?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,659
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

    On Fri 21 Dec 2018 04:06:03 PM CST, holgre5 wrote:


    Has anybody a solution for this problem?
    I'm on a HP zBook with openSuSE Leap 15 an Nvidia K610M. Maybe it is an
    issue from the graphic cards driver?


    Hi
    Could be a corrupted btmp file...

    If you (as root user, not sudo), either delete and
    re-create /var/log/btmp file;

    Code:
    cd /var/log
    ls -la btmp
    cat /dev/null > btmp
    ls -la btmp
    chmod 0600 btmp
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Europe, Germany
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Could be a corrupted btmp file...

    If you (as root user, not sudo), either delete and
    re-create /var/log/btmp file;
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion, malcolmlewis!

    I renamed the original /var/log/btmp and did a reboot...unfortunately without a positive effect: The symptom is still the same.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,659
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

    Quote Originally Posted by kallistos View Post
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion, malcolmlewis!

    I renamed the original /var/log/btmp and did a reboot...unfortunately without a positive effect: The symptom is still the same.
    Hi
    So was the file re-created?, Try creating without a reboot and try logging in from a VT. That's just to confirm, since it may be getting corrupted somehow on boot.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Europe, Germany
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

    Quote Originally Posted by holgre5 View Post
    Maybe it is an issue from the graphic cards driver?
    With regards to my graphics '~>sudo lspci' returns this:

    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Europe, Germany
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Try creating without a reboot and try logging in from a VT.
    Hi malcolmlewis,

    The file /var/btmp is only recreated after a reboot. Prior to the reboot, two tries to login on tty1 did not recreate btmp. Immediately after the reboot, btmp appeared with a file length of 0 bytes. After a single login-try btmp has now 384 bytes.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,659
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enterpassword

    On Fri 21 Dec 2018 06:26:03 PM CST, kallistos wrote:


    malcolmlewis;2889545 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Try creating without a reboot and try logging in from a VT.


    Hi malcolmlewis,

    The file /var/btmp is only recreated after a reboot. Prior to the
    reboot, two tries to login on tty1 did not recreate btmp. Immediately
    after the reboot, btmp appeared with a file length of 0 bytes. After a
    single login-try btmp has now 384 bytes.


    Hi
    On my system a DE login and a VT login still shows the file at 0
    bytes. Hopefully others with and without the issue can confirm file
    size....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •