Thread: Dolphin - Unable to find any workgroups in your local network

Question Dolphin - Unable to find any workgroups in your local network

LEAP 15
    KDE

Using Dolphin to search for Samba network shares always results in error:

"Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall."

I have searched this error on other forums and checked & re-checked that the firewall (should be) open to all Samba ports.

Directly entering the IP address of my fileserver works 100%, everytime. Server is a Debian machine.

A Windows 10 laptop can see the fileserver, everytime.

An ancient Mac running OS X 10.5 (from year 2007) can see the fileserver, everytime.

Neither my LEAP 15 desktop nor laptop can see the fileserver, however. Directly entering the IP address of the server does work.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dolphin - Unable to find any workgroups in your local network

Start by verifying name resolution is working, that you can find the file server by name...
    By pinging the file server by name.

If that fails, then you need to fix your name resolution.
    If that succeeds, then you should then check your network share connection command.

Without knowing how your Workgroup is set up, I can't be sure what is causing your workgroup discovery problem, but the above should work regardless.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    LEAP 15
    KDE

Using Dolphin to search for Samba network shares always results in error:

"Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall."
    This is a well-known "issue" and is as a result of SMBv1 (NT1) being deprecated ie disabled by default for good security reasons. It was NetBIOS discovery/broadcasts that allowed such network browsing to function as I've discussed previously....

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...55#post2885455
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...44#post2886444

Security blog...
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...op-using-smb1/

FWIW, you can still use the following command to list available workgroups and clients if desired...
    Code:
    smbtree
    It works by making use of NetBIOS-based discovery (on a temporary basis).

I tend to enter the required '"smb://<ip address or hostname of windows box>/<share name>" path into Dolphin's location bar, and then save the required network shares in the 'Places' panel for future navigation. This might be sufficient for you.

Hopefully, we'll see more secure 'Windows 10'-type function discovery providers (such as SSDP and WS-Discovery) implemented in samba in the near future.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 19-Dec-2018 at 20:52.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    This is a well-known "issue"
    Indeed; in my subsequent searches, I have found case after reported case with no solution.

I laughed while trying to troubleshoot when I enabled folder sharing on the LEAP 15 desktop and the ancient, 2007 PowerMac instantly saw the share. But 2018 KDE can't see ****, from any share on any machine, and gives an error when trying.

Using the "bookmarked" IP address of the dedicated file server machine works fine. But the "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network" error, when other computers can see the workgroup, gives the impression to the user that something in LEAP / KDE is broken.

It may all be in the name of "security" but the false "This might be caused by an enabled firewall" error has probably resulted in dozens of people tearing apart their firewalls and hacking their smb.conf files trying to troubleshoot the bug and making their machines less secure than if the obsolete, working SMB protocols were just left alone. I suspect that's where I am and now feel I need to go back through every "fix" I have tried and un-do them.

This bug should be a stickied topic at the top of this sub-forum so people can swiftly find and read it.

Blog Entries

I've personally had no need to investigate this before because I deal with either micro-tiny networks or large Domain based networks,
    But with a bit of research, you might be able to enable discovery of Network Shares (not just SMB/CIFS) on other machines by installing Avahi in your network.

I don't see any openSUSE documentation on implementing Avahi (IMO should exist), but the following should get you started. If you have further questions, I'd recommend starting a new Forum thread dedicated specifically to your questions and issues. You should find Avahi easily in your existing repos, if it's not already installed. Although not specific to NetBIOS browsing, Avahi should include support for that if available and implement some alternative methods as well... Without getting into the weeds, the bottom line is that you should see the remote machines in your LAN in your graphical File Manager (if CLI, you'd have to use avahi commands, not the traditional "net" commands).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi

You'll also find other posts in the openSUSE forums (recommend searching Install, Application and Networking) using the keywords avahi, zeroconf and bonjour.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Using the "bookmarked" IP address of the dedicated file server machine works fine. But the "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network" error, when other computers can see the workgroup, gives the impression to the user that something in LEAP / KDE is broken.

It may all be in the name of "security" but the false "This might be caused by an enabled firewall" error has probably resulted in dozens of people tearing apart their firewalls and hacking their smb.conf files trying to troubleshoot the bug and making their machines less secure than if the obsolete, working SMB protocols were just left alone. I suspect that's where I am and now feel I need to go back through every "fix" I have tried and un-do them.
    Yes, I agree that the Dolphin message is misleading, and that "Unable to find and workgroups in your local network" would probably suffice. That's something that should be mentioned to the upstream KDE team of course.

This bug should be a stickied topic at the top of this sub-forum so people can swiftly find and read it.[/QUOTE]
    When I find some time I will do just that. I've answered a number of threads on this topic over the last year or two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    But with a bit of research, you might be able to enable discovery of Network Shares (not just SMB/CIFS) on other machines by installing Avahi in your network.
    Avahi is usually installed and active on openSUSE machines by default, but Dolphin doesn't use that mechanism to find samba shares.In any case, it won't annunciate shares as such, it will just report hosts running such services, and if Windows servers are in the mix they would need to be running a DNS-SD service. It would be better for samba to support the SSDP discovery protocol (or similar) perhaps, then Dolphin could leverage that functionality.

I don't see any openSUSE documentation on implementing Avahi (IMO should exist), but the following should get you started. If you have further questions, I'd recommend starting a new Forum thread dedicated specifically to your questions and issues. You should find Avahi easily in your existing repos, if it's not already installed. Although not specific to NetBIOS browsing, Avahi should include support for that if available and implement some alternative methods as well... Without getting into the weeds, the bottom line is that you should see the remote machines in your LAN in your graphical File Manager (if CLI, you'd have to use avahi commands, not the traditional "net" commands).
    No, that won't help at all with the OP's situation of wanting a graphical 'Network Neighbourhood' type discovery (as already explained above).