Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: root partition failed (cannot boot now)

Default Re: root partition failed (cannot boot now)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    For general info since you reinstalled as a solution. The error indicates file system corruption. Sometimes running fsck can fix these things some times not depend on how bad the corruption is ad the FS in question..
    I forgot to mention but I did try to use ```btrfsck``` to check the partition. I do not remember the error message but the ```btrfsck``` has no use on this issue. Actually, I think the referred post in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...96#post2889296 has gone further beyond ```btrfsck``` and I have tried the ways mentioned in that post. No avail.

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    Have a look at the entries in /etc/fstab.

If there are 2 references to swap files delete the one that is not on the same disk as the root directory.
    Thank you but the failed partition is root partition (mounted on / ). I did not use swap files but swap partition on that system.

Thank you all for the heads up. Following urls is the photos I took on the failed checks:
    http://paste.opensuse.org/98418909
    http://paste.opensuse.org/47229580

I cannot wait to solve the problem so I have reinstalled the system. The SSD is good so the partition works well after formatted.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

Hmmm you said root was XFS not BTRFS so btrfsck would not work anyway,. best to just run fsck and follow instructions from there.

get numerous failures in systemd and the root partition (which is XFS)
    Well in any case you are running again

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    Have a look at the entries in /etc/fstab.

If there are 2 references to swap files delete the one that is not on the same disk as the root directory.
    Apologies for my diction,

- the fstab file only refers to partitions
    - swap is on its own partition
    - the swap in use may be better if it is on the same drive as the root partition

random thoughts
    - is the ssd SATA I,II or III
    - is the main/motherboard SATA I,II or III
    - if SATA of ssd and main/motherboard are not the same are they both up/downwards compatible
    - if SATA III is involve, is the data connect cable less than or equal to 30 cm.

observations
    - if the data connection to the booting disk is being corrupted the bios may stick or take minutes to load and monitor will only show a blinking cursor

I fixed my issue. You were right that it wasn't related to yours. For whatever reason, my root partition line went bye bye from my fstab file. I added it back in and all is good again.

I had the same problem. After re-formatting, the drive now works again for months, so it does not look like a HW problem. After some research here, I thought that it might be related to BTRFS snapshots on drives with little capacity left. But as I needed the disk, I could not research further, reformatted it and disabled snapshots. No problems since then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12