Thread: libncurses.so.5

Default libncurses.so.5

Hi to all,
    I have a fresh install of 64bit TUMBLEWEED (im new in opensuse) and tried to install a program and this error came up:

"libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
    I tried : ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5 /lib/libtinfo.so.5 but that didnt work. I got the same error.
    I cant find libtinfo.so.5 in /usr/lib. Maybe im missing a library, I tried to search ncurses library through YAST without luck. How can I solve this problem?

Gaston

PS: Move this thread to the correct forum

Default Re: libncurses.so.5

update
    zypper se curses gives:
    PHP Code:
    S  Name                     Summary                                                     Type   
    ---+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+--------
       | 
    gambas3-gb-ncurses       The ncurses component for Gambas                            package

libncurses5              Terminal control library                                    package
    i
    + | libncurses5-32bit        Terminal control library                                    package
    i  
    libncurses6              Terminal control library                                    package

libncurses6-32bit        Terminal control library                                    package

libyui-ncurses-devel     Libyui-ncurses header files                                 package

libyui-ncurses-doc       Libyui-ncurses documentation                                package

libyui-ncurses-pkg-devel Libyui-ncurses-pkg header files                             package

libyui-ncurses-pkg-doc   Libyui-ncurses-pkg documentation                            package
    i  
    libyui-ncurses-pkg9      Libyui yast2 package selector widget for the ncurses UI   package

libyui-ncurses-tools     Libyui-ncurses tools                                        package
    i  
    libyui-ncurses9          Libyui Character Based User Interface                     | package

ncurses-devel            Development files for the ncurses6 terminal control library package

ncurses-devel-32bit      Development files for the ncurses6 terminal control library package
    i  
    ncurses-utils            Tools using the new curses libraries                        package

ncurses5-devel           Development files for the ncurses5 terminal control library package

ncurses5-devel-32bit     Development files for the ncurses5 terminal control library package

ocaml-curses             OCaml bindings for ncurses                                  package

ocaml-curses-devel       Development files for ocaml-curses                          package

perl-Curses              Terminal screen handling and optimization                   package

perl-CursesWidgets       CursesWidgets Perl module                                   package
    i  
    python-curses            Python Interface to the (N)Curses Library                   package
    i  
    python3-curses           Python Interface to the (N)Curses Library                   package
    i  
    qemu-ui-curses           Curses based UI support for QEMU                            package 
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston1980 View Post
    and tried to install a program .....
    The best help can only be given by people that are informed about the problem with the maximum available information. Please, please, please, why those secrets? Simply tell what you tried to install and how instead of this very vague remark. When that installing was done using the CLI, please copy/paste what you did and got in the post.
    Henk van Velden

I tried to install Xilinx ISE, but running the xsetup in konsole (installer) the libncurses error shows up. This program is for 64bit but add a 32bit programs to work it. Im new to opensuse and this is a fresh install.
    Gastón

Blog Entries

As you can see in the list you provided ncurses5 is available in openSUSE TW, and a small test shows me it can be alongside ncurses6 and it does provide the missing lib.
    So try
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libncurses5
    EDIT: the package also contains the missing libtinfo.so.5
    EDIT2: remove the symlinks you created before doing so, and never again link a library file to another one .
    Last edited by Knurpht; 06-Dec-2018 at 09:19.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Hi Knurpht, thanks for your answer, it works. How can you tell that library in the list was not installed? for future references.Thanks.
    Regards
    Gastón

Default AW: Re: libncurses.so.5

Hi Knurpht, thanks for your answer, it works. How can you tell that library in the list was not installed? for future references.Thanks.
    Regards
    Gastón
    The first column, i means installed.

Blog Entries

Regards
    Gastón
    From this command:
    Code:
    knurpht@Knurpht-HP:~> zypper se --provides libtinfo
    Gegevens van opslagruimte laden...
    Lezen van geïnstalleerde pakketten...

S  | Naam              | Samenvatting             | Type  
    ---+-------------------+--------------------------+-------
    i+ | libncurses5       | Terminal control library | pakket
       | libncurses5-32bit | Terminal control library | pakket
    i+ | libncurses6       | Terminal control library | pakket
    i+ | libncurses6-32bit | Terminal control library | pakket
    knurpht@Knurpht-HP:~>
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht