Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YaST is missing after update

Default YaST is missing after update

After a clean Tumbleweed installation, and online update YaST and all of it's components are now gone. Using the OpenSuSE online software search I have locates some .ymp script files to reinstall, but don't know how to launch them. The good news is the system is up to date and seems to be clean. The bad thing is I am stuck. What do I need to do to reinstall YaST?

thanks in advance
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cimmamon

Default Re: YaST is missing after update

How did you come to the conclusion that "YaST and all of it's components" are gone?

Code:
    zypper se -i yast
    Henk van Velden

There are no longer any YaST components in the menu.

Also, in terminal YaST command was:
    bash: yast: command not found

below i
    Code:
    zypper se -i yast
    Building repository 'Google-chrome' cache ......................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Google-talkplugin' cache ..................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Nvidia' cache .............................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' cache .................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' cache .....................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS-updates' cache .............................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' cache .................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'Skype' cache ..............................................................................................................[done]
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                   | Summary                                                  | Type   
    ---+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | patterns-yast-x11_yast | YaST User Interfaces                                     | package
    i+ | yast2-core             | YaST2 - Core Libraries                                   | package
    i+ | yast2-perl-bindings    | YaST2 - Perl Bindings                                    | package
    i+ | yast2-pkg-bindings     | YaST2 - Package Manager Access                           | package
    i+ | yast2-ruby-bindings    | Ruby bindings for the YaST platform                      | package
    i  | yast2-theme            | YaST2 - Theme                                            | package
    i+ | yast2-trans-stats      | YaST2 - Translation Statistics                           | package
    i+ | yast2-x11              | YaST2 - X11 support                                      | package
    i+ | yast2-xml              | YaST2 - XML Agent                                        | package
    i+ | yast2-ycp-ui-bindings  | YaST2 - YCP Bindings for the YaST2 User Interface Engine | package

As you see not "all of it's components" are gone. But there is missing a lot.

To begin with, uou could try
    Code:
    zypper in patterns-yast-yast2_basis
    and see how much it installs.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks, I will do that when I get home from work tonight.

A little more background:

This is the first time I have installed Tumbleweed.
    I tried to install a couple of additional programs, Wine for one, via YaST Software Mgr, but there were quite a few conflicts that needed resolving so I aborted the installation. I did for a half dozen programs with the same result. So I did not install any additional programs.

Hoping the system would correct itself with an update I checked Yast and Online Update for any recommended updates. There were none. Which was surprising.
    So I selected to update all programs with new versions available. There were quite a few conflicts that needed resolving. I accepted the default (#1) choices and worked through the list. I did notice many of those were YaST. I hesitated, but figured if it got hosed I can just reinstall again.

They system rebooted fine, and everything looks good, but YaST is nowhere to be found. I am obviously doing something wrong. I am old to SuSE, but new to Tumbleweed. What is the trick? Why are there so many conflicts when installing anything?

thanks.

While you are talking about updating your system, it is Tumbleweed ad should ONLY be updated with
    Code:
    zypper dup
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    While you are talking about updating your system, it is Tumbleweed ad should ONLY be updated with
    Code:
    zypper dup
    To elaborate a bit on this: TW is rolling whilst tested by the model of releasing TW over and over again. This can ( and does ) include downgrades, changes from package X to Y, things 'zypper up' cannot handle, yet 'zypper dup' does handle. It looks like this:
    - Package changes >
    - New iso >
    - openQA testing >
    - Release

This is why only 'zypper dup' works for TW. Must say, since I run TW, I've hardly touched YaST's softwaremanager.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thank you for your help. At this point I need to regain the config and software tools I have lost.

1 - Is there a simple way to do that or would it be best to simply reinstall and then use zypper dup to update?

2 - If reinstalling is best, I see by default many of the repositories are set to save the downloads. Can you remind me where those are located? I am on limited data and if any don't need to be downloaded again that would be a good thing. I can copy those to another partition and add that as a local repository to pull from in the next install.

3 - How often should a person run zypper dup in TW? Monthly? every 6 months? ever?

thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idee View Post
    Thank you for your help. At this point I need to regain the config and software tools I have lost.

1 - Is there a simple way to do that or would it be best to simply reinstall and then use zypper dup to update?

2 - If reinstalling is best, I see by default many of the repositories are set to save the downloads. Can you remind me where those are located? I am on limited data and if any don't need to be downloaded again that would be a good thing. I can copy those to another partition and add that as a local repository to pull from in the next install.

3 - How often should a person run zypper dup in TW? Monthly? every 6 months? ever?

thanks
    1. Simplest way: download today's ISO ( saves all update downloads ), and
    2. Reinstall. The packages are downloaded first, then removed after successful install, so no.
    3. I'd suggest 'dupping' on every TW release ......
    But ....
    4. Given your limited data plan, you'd be better of with Leap 15. Huge downloads are not an exception on TW, sometimes all packages get rebuilt, resulting ( on my laptop ) to > 2000 packages in the upgrade and exceeding 2 GB of download.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

@idee,

I advised you in pos t#4 on how to install the missing YaST packages.
    You answered that you would try that later.
    What are the results?
    Before we know that, why talking about re-installation of the whole system? When you want that, you could have done that to begin with, without starting this thread and we spending time on it in trying to help you.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast