Problems with Amarok

Amarok has been the default mediaplayer on openSUSE as long as i can remember, but from LEAP 15 it has been replaced with Dragon Player. What i like about Amarok is that it can be closed down to status-bar. Dragon Player don’t. So i installed Amarok to stream internet-radio over mp3. But it seems there is some flaws with Amarok.
If i click Stop or Pause, it just stops for 2 secs and then it start playing again. If i want to stop radio i have to quit Amarok.
Well i did test and the same problem is for Dragon Player. Its impossible til Stop or Pause playback :frowning:

The other problem with Amarok is memory-usage. Main app-memory-usage is constant increasing and after 2-3 days it reach 1GB og memory usage.

Anyone experience this problem?

I’m not sure what is happening on your system.

I installed Amarok and have been using it for music and podcasts. It seems to be doing fine.

Compared to previous openSUSE versions, it does complain about plugins (or the Wikipedia plugin, I think). But I never use those, so I just ignore the complaint.

I have not seen anything like the problem you describe.

I just did same and can confirm no obvious problems.

I haven’t used Amarok for a long time, but the reason was that years ago when Amarok was re-built from scratch, it introduced using sqllite as a database engine. Although there are benefits, I felt it was unnecessary and at the time made Amarok unstable.

So,
Just installed on a LEAP 15 (fully udpated, have you done a system update?) of course with the Packman repo installed, and it installed fine except for the complaint about the Wikipedia plugin nrickert mentions.
Have been listening to an Internet stream now for about 15 minutes with no problem.

So,
I’d recommend you verify your Packman repo is enabled, and then do a system update using the following command

zypper up

As for memory usage, you describe a likely classic “memory leak” where after playing a file, the memory used is not returned for re-use.
It’s fairly common for a number of apps, and there may be no option but to restart the app periodically to return memory for re-use.
You can try submitting a bug to Amarok, but I also wonder if the way it works may be by design (but can probably be modified).

TSU

You write about the Wikipedia plugin in Amarok not working in Leap 15. Is it anything to do about that? I use the wikipedia info in Amarok often, and I will like to get it back.

Dag R

Heavy Amarok user in the past ( with lyrics, guitar tab plugins active ) I get the idea that the project is dead.

it’s i pity if what you say is right, and I don’t doubt it. Is it any music player with album art and easy management of music library for KDE now? I have tried Lisa, but it works poorly for my use.

Dag R

Looking here shows I was wrong. https://amarok.kde.org/

It’s good to hear that Amarok may continue to have a future.

There’s this Amarok Qt5 patch committed in GitHub: <https://github.com/KDE/amarok/commit/7a63540fc23a4fead8ee6e2352ab9998ecca8cc2&gt;.

Catch-22: Amarok version ‘2.9.0-lp150.2.1’ seems to be KDE Plasma 4 – Qt4 – I seem to recall that, Amarok wasn’t modified for Qt5 / KDE Plasma 5 …

• But, it seems that, the team is working on the upgrade …
  • Starting Amarok from a CLI results in the following trace:

> amarok
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(6550) KBuildSycoca::recreate: Recreating ksycoca file ("/var/tmp/kdecache-xxx/ksycoca4", version 243)
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::pushDocInfo: Menu "suse-screensavers.menu" not found.
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::pushDocInfo: Menu "kde-settings.menu" not found.
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/yast-settings.menu"
kbuildsycoca4(6550) foldNode: "Directory" and "suse-yast.directory" requires combining!
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/ggz.merge.menu"
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde4-essential.menu"                                                                                                                    
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/kde4-settings.menu"                 
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/kde4-information.menu"              
kbuildsycoca4(6550) foldNode: "Directory" and "kde-information.directory" requires combining!                           
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/ggz.menu"                           
kbuildsycoca4(6550) foldNode: "Directory" and "ggz.directory" requires combining!                                       
kbuildsycoca4(6550) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/home/xxx/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu"

Further Amarok news:

A Qt5/KF5 Version 3 is expected later this year or, possibly, next year: <https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Amarok-Qt5-KF5-2018-Revised>.

The KDE status pages are here but, the “last changed” status is worrying: <https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/KF5port/Status>; <https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/KF5port> …