Thread: Lenovo A475 display stops updating after application is opened

Question Lenovo A475 display stops updating after application is opened

Hi all, I hope someone can help me figure this out.

The symptom is that after opening a GTK application (Konsole and Firefox are the two I use most regularly), the screen stops updating. The mouse pointer still moves and it even changes shape (e.g., into a double-headed arrow at window borders, etc). I can still work with the windows, but I can't see what I'm doing. If I switch to another virtual terminal and back, then I see the correct screen again, but it still doesn't update.

If I kill the desktop session with ctrl-alt-backspace, then that lets the screen update again, at least until another GTK application is opened.

I'm running Tumbleweed and this originally happened to me over the summer. At the time, I was using XFCE, but I found that using KDE caused it to work right. But then last week, it suddenly (suddenly == no recent updates applied) started again. And this time, the choice of desktop environment doesn't seem to matter.

I went as far as reinstalling the entire machine from scratch and it's still happening.

The cpu is an AMD Pro A12-9800B R7. The gpu is an integrated graphics AMD Wani 1002:9874 using the amdgpu driver.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 26-Nov-2018 at 20:07.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lenovo A475 display stops updating after application is opened

Quote Originally Posted by quantamm View Post
    The symptom is that after opening a GTK application (Konsole and Firefox are the two I use most regularly), the screen stops updating.
    I don't have any answers for you. However, I'll note that "konsole" is not a GTK application, as far as I know. It is a QT application.

So maybe you have narrowed your problem down a bit too much.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 26-Nov-2018 at 20:07.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'll note that "konsole" is not a GTK application, as far as I know. It is a QT application.
    You're right... I thought for some reason that some apps were working and others weren't, but I just tried out some more and everything is broken. The only thing that does work is the taskbar. I can open/close the KDE menu just fine and I can use network manager to setup a wireless connection just fine. But, if I try and do anything that spawns it's own window, then the whole screen stops updating (including the taskbar). I've updated the title to remove the reference to GTK.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quantamm View Post
    You're right... I thought for some reason that some apps were working and others weren't, but I just tried out some more and everything is broken. The only thing that does work is the taskbar. I can open/close the KDE menu just fine and I can use network manager to setup a wireless connection just fine. But, if I try and do anything that spawns it's own window, then the whole screen stops updating (including the taskbar). I've updated the title to remove the reference to GTK.
    Hi
    I have an Wani/Topaz dual graphics A10-9600P works fine, so are you running Wayland or Xorg? How are you updating the system, via zypper dup only?

I get some screen tearing under GNOME but fixed this by adding the amdgpu.dc=0 to the kernel boot options.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Talking Re: Lenovo A475 display stops updating after application is opened

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I have an Wani/Topaz dual graphics A10-9600P works fine, so are you running Wayland or Xorg? How are you updating the system, via zypper dup only?

I get some screen tearing under GNOME but fixed this by adding the amdgpu.dc=0 to the kernel boot options.
    My savior!

You gave me not one, but two solutions. Without the amdgpu.dc=0 boot flag, Wayland works great. And with amdgpu.dc=0, Xorg works great. So, it appears to be some conflict between Xorg and display code.

I think I'll permanently add amdgpu.dc=0 to my boot parameters and consider this solved.

Thanks for your help!