Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variety - Application not Starting

Default Variety - Application not Starting

Hey everyone,
    A new OpenSUSE user, I just installed the OS yesterday as I wanted to try out non-Arch based distributions and OpenSUSE had the most interesting set of features.

I request the help of the forum with the below issue. The application - variety does not seem to be starting. I am getting the below error message.

Code:
    :~> variety
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/variety", line 38, in <module>
        import variety
      File "/usr/bin/variety.py", line 39, in <module>
        variety.main()
    AttributeError: module 'variety' has no attribute 'main'
    Earlier the error message was much bigger, but I had searched the forum which advised the installation of the python3-requests package, after which several error messages had disappeared, but still have the above error message. Kindly request you to please help with the same.

Cheers,
    RD (y)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Variety - Application not Starting

Installed variety, it does not work indeed, but ....... it's a python2 app..... Furthermore the contents of the package have not changed over the past three years.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

If the packages for Variety are not maintained,
    It looks pretty easy to deploy from source and the project does seem to be active.

Instructions to clone the github repo and install are on the github project page

https://github.com/varietywalls/variety

And BTW - It does seem to be a Python3 app.

Another BTW -
    I haven't looked at what is the openSUSE packages, but you might also just install the dependencies listed for source, but instead of taking the step to build from source to just try running the openSUSE app again. To my eye, none of the Python3 dependencies ordinarily are part of a build so might simply be missing libraries the openSUSE package needs. But of course if as Knupht describes that the app code is years old, the app code and current libraries may be incompatible.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Additional, the Variety project lists a number of dependencies using Debian/Ubuntu package names.
    You may have to find the RPM names for those dependencies, try using the procedure I describe at the following Wiki I created.
    If you have problems finding your RPM dependencies, post again for help

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Mi...s_Dependencies

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It looks pretty easy to deploy from source and the project does seem to be active.
    Hi
    No offence, but PLEASE stop sending people off installing from source and the likes. It's very frustrating, even more since it's a package I introduced, but will update/fix if needed. It was updated last year to version 0.6.6, updated to version 0.6.9 in the development repo, seems they introduced a readme, which is all that is breaking the build. So is maintained... in fact it was touched less than a day ago in the development project.

The python3 version which your asking to install @0.7.1 is broken, so your about to send a user off to install something not working....

@OP, please advise if you want me to investigate more, else I'll just put it on the back burner.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post

Instructions to clone the github repo and install are on the github project page

https://github.com/varietywalls/variety

And BTW - It does seem to be a Python3 app.

Another BTW -
    I haven't looked at what is the openSUSE packages, but you might also just install the dependencies listed for source, but instead of taking the step to build from source to just try running the openSUSE app again. To my eye, none of the Python3 dependencies ordinarily are part of a build so might simply be missing libraries the openSUSE package needs. But of course if as Knupht describes that the app code is years old, the app code and current libraries may be incompatible.

TSU
    Please, Tsu. It might be easy for YOU to "deploy from source", but that is gobbledegook to a lot of the Forum Users, something that can be especially off-putting to newcomers.

Because YOU know how to do it, what you should do is try it yourself and make sure it works. If it works, perhaps then make that suggestion, but better still would be if you package a working copy in your own OBS.

If you want to suggest someone install from source, instead of pointing them to very technical instructions, please instruct step-by-step in terms that NEWBIES can understand, so that ALL Forum Users can benefit from and use the instructions.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Blog Entries

Hi
    @rainingdistros, so I've updated the package to version 0.7.1 which is the python3 release (and fixed), I have a test package here;

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...lities/variety

(Don't normally publish branched packages)

Code:
    wget https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/branches:/X11:/Utilities/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/noarch/variety-0.7.1-31.1.noarch.rpm
    zypper in variety-0.7.1-31.1.noarch.rpm
    <ignore key request and install>
    Can you (and anyone else) test and advise back on any issues, will push to the development repo and make sure it gets pushed to Factory.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hey everyone,
    I am really happy to see the response that is being provided to the new users here..
    Appreciate all the help.
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    @rainingdistros, so I've updated the package to version 0.7.1 which is the python3 release (and fixed), I have a test package here;

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...lities/variety

(Don't normally publish branched packages)

Code:
    wget https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/branches:/X11:/Utilities/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/noarch/variety-0.7.1-31.1.noarch.rpm
    zypper in variety-0.7.1-31.1.noarch.rpm
    <ignore key request and install>
    Can you (and anyone else) test and advise back on any issues, will push to the development repo and make sure it gets pushed to Factory.
    Thank you for putting together the version.
    I did try to install the version, but I am receiving errors.

On first install for the below error.
    Code:
        import variety
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/__init__.py", line 93, in <module>
        from variety import VarietyWindow
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/VarietyWindow.py", line 51, in <module>
        from variety.PreferencesVarietyDialog import PreferencesVarietyDialog
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/PreferencesVarietyDialog.py", line 24, in <module>
        from variety.Util import Util
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/Util.py", line 17, in <module>
        import requests
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'
    So I had installed the python3-requests package thinking it might be fix the issue.
    But received another error message.

Code:
        import variety
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/__init__.py", line 93, in <module>
        from variety import VarietyWindow
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/VarietyWindow.py", line 67, in <module>
        from variety.QuoteWriter import QuoteWriter
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/QuoteWriter.py", line 17, in <module>
        import cairo
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'cairo'
    So now I tried installing python3-cairo package. But it seems to be issuing a different error now.

Code:
      File "/usr/bin/variety", line 39, in <module>
        variety.main()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/__init__.py", line 198, in main
        window.start(arguments)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/VarietyWindow.py", line 149, in start
        self.register_clipboard()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/variety/VarietyWindow.py", line 327, in register_clipboard
        self.clipboard = Gtk.Clipboard.get(Gdk.SELECTION_CLIPBOARD)
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 132, in __getattr__
        self.__name__, name))
    AttributeError: 'gi.repository.Gdk' object has no attribute 'SELECTION_CLIPBOARD'
    Kindly do help.

Cheers,
    RD

Truth be told, before posting for help I did try to build the application from the source, but there were few packages for which I could not find.
    Say for example python3-pillow was one of the packages I could not find. I was able to find python3-pilkit but not this..Anyways thanks to Malcolm for putting together the app.
    I hope I can help test the app and move it to the official repos.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast