Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer freezing

Default Computer freezing

Just loaded Leap 15.0 and running it. But my computer keeps freezing for no apparent reason. Things run smoothly for a while then suddenly nothing responds.

I'm running Alienware with a Nvidia GTX980 card. I’ve installed the Nvidia G04 driver, though the same also happens with the G05 driver.

Im running top but there doesn’t appear to be anything obvious that’s grabbing resources.

ideas would be extremely welcome

Default Re: Computer freezing

How long ago was "just loaded"?
    How long does a freeze last?
    Which DE or WM are you using?
    What are your basic hardware specs? e.g. 'inxi -b' (when installed)
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1,TW,15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    How long ago was "just loaded"?
    How long does a freeze last?
    Which DE or WM are you using?
    What are your basic hardware specs? e.g. 'inxi -b' (when installed)

I loaded fed it on Sunday.

Each freeze lasts from a few seconds to what seems like a minute. I’ve not timed them. But, on occasion it’s been long enough to lose an internet connection. It can also cause an “Unlocking failed” message when attempting to unlock my screen

I'm not sure what you mean by “DE or WM”. Please explain.

’inxi’ is not installed. I don’t know what that is. What are you wanting to know about my hardware specs?

Possibly relevant: when Leap is loading I get a list of messages saying “failed to get unique processor” and couldn’t find “mic handler”. The former messages appeared from when I first installed Leap 15.0, the second from when I installed the Nvidia driver.

Do these messages mean anything to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by johngwalker View Post
    I loaded fed it on Sunday.

Each freeze lasts from a few seconds to what seems like a minute. I’ve not timed them. But, on occasion it’s been long enough to lose an internet connection. It can also cause an “Unlocking failed” message when attempting to unlock my screen

I'm not sure what you mean by “DE or WM”. Please explain.

’inxi’ is not installed. I don’t know what that is. What are you wanting to know about my hardware specs?
    Several seconds is not a "freeze", maybe just the system busy doing something. That might be anything from the system swapping (are you using 2GB RAM or so?), / root partition filling up (are you using btrfs on a disk partition smaller than 40 GB?) or simply some early maintenance jobs that will go away after a few hours of system use.
    "DE" refers to Desktop Environment: Gnome is currently a memory hog, KDE/Plasma has issues with the proprietary Nvidia driver, "WM" refers to window managers like IceWM which are alternatives to DEs.
    So to help you we need a clear idea of the specs of the HW in your system and the SW configuration (Filesystem, desktop environment etc.) you are using.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

What are you wanting to know about my hardware specs?
    To help us debug your problem please run "top" in a small terminal window and leave it visible if possible, so that if a freeze occurs you can see (and report back here) the processes running at that moment.
    Then open another terminal, become superuser by issuing:
    Code:
    su -
    password: <enter the root password here>
    Then one or more of the following commands should give a clue of possible problems. If anything suspicious shows up, please copy (SHIFT+CTRL+C in the terminal window) the result including the command and the prompt at the end and paste here between [CODE ] tags (use the # button above the editing space in the web interface).
    To check for possible memory problems:
    Code:
    # free
    To show the disk layout and filesystems in use:
    Code:
    # lsblk -alo NAME,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,FSTYPE
    To show filesystem usage:
    Code:
    # df
    Please note, if you are using the btrfs filesystem for your / root filesystem 'df' does not give an accurate measure and you should use instead:
    Code:
    # btrfs filesystem df /
    Since you are using an Nvidia dGPU and proprietary drivers, information about that is given by:
    Code:
    # lspci -nnk |grep -EA 3 "VGA|3D|Display"
    In the unlikely case that the CPU might be overwhelmed, the following will show us the exact model:
    Code:
    # lscpu |grep Model
    Please ask if anything is not clear to you.
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Thanks for replying. In fact, I've been running top since I first had the problem, and I've seen no correlation between what's running there and the occurrences of freezing and not freezing. However, I think that might be significant.

First, I should perhaps explain that there seem to be two different sorts of freezing - at least as I experience them - with one sometimes leading to the other.

The first sort is when a single application freezes. In this case I can switch to another application, most usefully top. Here I can see that the application that has frozen is not at the top of the list of running applications. This is not because it is waiting on a resource or paused, since sometime things freeze as I type. Sometimes, if I wait the application moves back to the top of the list and I can resume it. Other times everything freezes up and I can't do anything. That's the second sort of freeze.

Freezing can last, as I said before, from less than a minute to three, four minutes, occasionally longer.

When an application that freezes is conversing over the internet it can sometimes time out. If the application is one that times out then that is what happens. One one occasion, when I ran Speedtest in order to check if the problem was caused by internet connectivity, Firefox froze and my download speed, usually in the 70-75 or so Mbps range, came out as 0Mbps.

I've only once seen a problem with accessing an application locally, when I opened a photo from an email and, after a long pause, the window came up, after the freeze ended, that it could not access Gwenview. A rerun ran okay.

My machine, as I stated before, is an Alienware machine. Before installed Leap 15.0 on it I was running Leap 42,1 quite happily. As far as software is concerned, there are only two differences. One is that Dropbox will no longer run because I need to install an ext4 file system for this to happen. The other is that Baloo is running. Previously it used to crash soon after I started. Otherwise, everything I try to run is exactly as before.

As for the information you asked me to provide:

Code:
    free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:       32816840     7786684      282792      221692    24747364    24337900
    Swap:      32817216           0    32817216
    Code:
    lsblk -alo NAME,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,FSTYPE
    NAME  SIZE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE
    sda   1.8T            
    sda1  156M            vfat
    sda2    2G            swap
    sda3   40G            btrfs
    sda4  500M /boot/efi  vfat
    sda5   40G /          btrfs
    sda6  1.7T /home      xfs
    sda7 31.3G [SWAP]     swap
    sr0  1024M
    Code:
    btrfs filesystem df /
    Data, single: total=12.01GiB, used=10.85GiB
    System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
    Metadata, DUP: total=640.00MiB, used=545.06MiB
    GlobalReserve, single: total=33.19MiB, used=0.00B
    Code:
    lscpu |grep Model                                                        
    Model:               63
    Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Anything leap out there?

I should perhaps try running free the next time an application freezes on me

I omitted
    Code:
    lspci -nnk |grep -EA 3 "VGA|3D|Display"
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 980] [10de:13c0] (rev a1)
            Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1116]
            Kernel driver in use: nvidia
            Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
    But I perhaps ought to explain that the freezing happened even before I upgraded my drivers to Nvidia. I initially thought it was happening because I had the wrong drivers loaded.

Nothing obvious from the info you posted. HW is quite capable, disk layout seems correct.
    Your problem should be HW or configuration dependent since we are not seeing many other users complaining.
    Just to rule out something, can you disable / uninstall baloo and see if you are still getting freezes? Baloo has been known to cause problems in the past but currently nobody is complaining...
    We are seeing people complaining about the kernel ending in lp150.12.25.1: can you boot another (maybe older) kernel and see what happens?
    Nvidia GPUs and / or proprietary drivers also gave headaches in the past, but since you experienced freezes also with the open source driver I would look elsewhere...

Apparently you are running KDE / Plasma as your desktop environment.
    Can you please get to System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor and try to change the "Rendering Backend", checking if you are still getting freezes with OpenGL2.0 or XRender?
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Just loaded Leap 15.0 and running it. But my computer keeps freezing for no apparent reason. Things run smoothly for a while then suddenly nothing responds.

I'm running Alienware with a Nvidia GTX980 card. I’ve installed the Nvidia G04 driver, though the same also happens with the G05 driver.

Im running top but there doesn’t appear to be anything obvious that’s grabbing resources.

ideas would be extremely welcome
    Run all of the following and post the output:

• zypper in inxi
    • inxi -zF
    • zypper in iotop
    • iotop -ao

iotop displays cumulative results; make sure it runs until freezes occur.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast