Thread: Need help deciding which DE to use on my laptop

Default Need help deciding which DE to use on my laptop

Hello.

I'm new to OpenSUSE. I've decided to try Tumbleweed (Looking for a rolling release distro) after years of running Ubuntu. I own a Dell Latitude E7440. Here are the specs.

CPU: i5-4310U
    RAM: 16GB
    250GB PCIe SSD Boot drive

Personally I'm partial to MATE as a DE. It seems to run really well and I've always loved Gnome 2 but for some reason it seems buggy on OpenSUSE. It usually was a bit buggy on Ubuntu up until 18.10 (It runs rock solid on 18.10) but not as buggy as it seems to be on OpenSUSE. Maybe it's user error but MATE on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed has some bugs. For example running "sudo caja" doesn't open Caja as a superuser, it returns some error about graphics or something.

Anyways. Gnome 3 stutters on this laptop quite a lot and KDE Plasma 5 seems to run nicely until the system (or KDE desktop itself) decides to completely lock up.

What other choices are there for DE? Which ones do you suggest?

Default Re: Need help deciding which DE to use on my laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Toyed View Post
    Hello.

I'm new to OpenSUSE. I've decided to try Tumbleweed (Looking for a rolling release distro) after years of running Ubuntu. I own a Dell Latitude E7440. Here are the specs.

CPU: i5-4310U
    RAM: 16GB
    250GB PCIe SSD Boot drive

Personally I'm partial to MATE as a DE. It seems to run really well and I've always loved Gnome 2 but for some reason it seems buggy on OpenSUSE. It usually was a bit buggy on Ubuntu up until 18.10 (It runs rock solid on 18.10) but not as buggy as it seems to be on OpenSUSE. Maybe it's user error but MATE on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed has some bugs. For example running "sudo caja" doesn't open Caja as a superuser, it returns some error about graphics or something.

Anyways. Gnome 3 stutters on this laptop quite a lot and KDE Plasma 5 seems to run nicely until the system (or KDE desktop itself) decides to completely lock up.

What other choices are there for DE? Which ones do you suggest?
    You should maybe start a thread with a question about MATE and caja or any other problems in the Install/Boot/Login category of the Forums.

There are MATE users here.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.