Thread: leap 15 not recognizing kvm keayboard and mouse

Unhappy leap 15 not recognizing kvm keayboard and mouse

tested on leap 15.0 and 15.1 beta
    leap15.0 did recognize kvm during install, but at first login screen k+m dead. only directly connected devices recognized.
    leap15.1 even worse, not even the install routine did see kvm k+m. only directly plugged in k+m did work.
    no other distro of opensuse (up to leap42.3) or any other distro (redhat, mint, ubunto, etc) ever had such a problem.
    kvm used: belkin soho 4x, different k+m on kvm tested (dell, logitech), none worked.
    very sad.

Blog Entries

Default Re: leap 15 not recognizing kvm keayboard and mouse

Recommend you test while booting to your BIOS/UEFI setup,
    In this environment, functionality is provided by the lowest, most basic in your system.
    If your KVM doesn't work, then it's more likely a problem with your KVM and not something higher.

But,
    I generally find it very hard to think of why there can be a problem with an OS...
    A hardware KVM should present I/O signals to the OS no differently than keyboard and mouse.

I'd be looking at your KVM connections before I'd look at anything else.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: leap 15 not recognizing kvm keayboard and mouse

thanx for your reply.
    yes, i would have assumed a problem with my kvm or the mainboard of that pc ... BUT: i can simply unhook the leap15 disk and hook up win8, win10, leap42.3, ubuntu, fedora, mint - bootable disks and all is fine. it's just a problem with leap15. so ... i don't think it's a hardware problem.
    cheers,
    Petr.

Unhappy Re: leap 15 not recognizing kvm keayboard and mouse

well, as this is not improving ... after 18 years of loalty to opensuse, i decided to change distro to fedora for all of my 6 desktops and 3 laptops. surprisingly also some other bugs (like support for new wifi-cards) are now solved.
    good bye,
    Petr.