Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Default Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

--------------------------------
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 (fully updated as per: 19-Dec-2018)
    Standard settings, shell: BASH
    Kernel-Version: 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default

Hi everyone,

For an unknown reason the local login on my text terminals (login, pam) got screwed up somehow so that I cannot login to those terminals any longer (while I have no problems using KDE Konsole):

After having entered the username (any user and root) the password request appears but without any delay first a new password request is shown on the next line immediately followed by 'Login incorrect'.

The resulting terminal screen looks like this:

Welcome to openSUSE Leap 15.0 - Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default (tty1)

DOMAIN_NAME login: USER_NAME
    Password:
    Password:

Login incorrect

Welcome to openSUSE Leap 15.0 - Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default (tty1)

DOMAIN_NAME login:

This applies to all 6 terminals and happens at each login.

The journal has the following entries regarding per failed login:

Dez 18 18:55:12 COMPUTER_NAME login[2341]: gkr-pam: couldn't get the password from user: Conversation error
    Dez 18 18:55:13 COMPUTER_NAME login[2341]: pam_unix(login:auth): conversation failed
    Dez 18 18:55:13 COMPUTER_NAME login[2341]: pam_unix(login:auth): aut could not identify password for [USER_NAME]
    Dez 18 18:55:13 COMPUTER_NAME login[2341]: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM tty1 FOR USER_NAME, Authentication token manipulation error
    Dez 18 18:55:16 COMPUTER_NAME systemd[1]: getty@tty1.service: Service has no hold-off time (RestartSec=0), scheduling restart.
    Dez 18 18:55:16 COMPUTER_NAME systemd[1]: Stopped Getty on tty1
    Dez 18 18:55:16 COMPUTER_NAME systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1

I have no idea what is going on here. I appears as if the delay for accepting the password is set to zero. However, I have no idea how that coudl happen and could also not figure out how this might possibly be repaired.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Kallistos

Blog Entries

Post Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Need a better description,
    - Is this a text-only machine without an installed Desktop?
    - Did you login successfully with an ordinary User account and then you switched to a terminal window or is this initial login?
    - If this is somehow from a graphical Desktop, this is a real tty? or a windowed console?
    - I can't remember seeing DOMAIN_NAME recently in a shell, is your machine a member of a network security domain like AD?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

Hi TSU,

Thanks a lot for your response!

- This is a standard openSUSE Leap 15.0 installation on a personal computer with the KDE as the main working environment

- Auto-login is active: So, after booting I get automatically logged into KDE as an ordinary user which works perfectly okay

- Windowed console: The KDE program 'Konsole' (with standard settings) providing a virtual console works as usual and opens up with the ordinary user logged in. There, I can also apply 'sudo' and 'su' without problems

- The term 'DOMAIN_NAME' which I have used above is not the real output that I see but a placeholder for the actual computer name (like 'USER-NAME').

- The problem that i have appears as soon as I switch from KDE on tty7 to any of the other terminals using Strg-Alt-F1 (through F6). It is on these terminals that I am unable to enter the password as described resulting in failed logins rendering those terminals completely inaccessible to me

Best regards,
    Kallistos

Default Re: Unable to login to text terminals: System does not let me enter password

I have no answer (everything normal here with Gnome) but the following thread seems to relate to the same problem:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-login-problem
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Hi OrsoBruno,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion which was useful because it made me to compare different kernel versions which I have still available through snapshots:

1- Kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default:
    -> Everything works fine.

2- Kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default
    -> Tested on a friend's openSUSE machine: Everything works fine (which is in accordance with juando's report in akarako's thread).

3- Kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.25-default:
    -> This is the kernel version for which akarako reported his login problem: The password can be entered but will somehow not be accepted and the login process gets timed out.
    -> I get exactly the same issue with that kernel!

4- Kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default
    -> This is my current kernel version that produces my current problem which is different to akarako's problem: Here, the password cannot be entered, as described further above, and for that reason the login fails.

So, the kernel seems at least to be involved...!?

Best regards,
    Kallistos

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I have no answer (everything normal here with Gnome)
    What is the kernel version you are on?

They broke tty support after kernel 22 - if you have run level 5 and switch to any tty console 1-6.

kernel 25 - ignores password entry and hangs

kernel 28 - auto returns password before you can type it.

as your entries above show from you log -
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    They broke tty support after kernel 22 - if you have run level 5 and switch to any tty console 1-6.

kernel 25 - ignores password entry and hangs

kernel 28 - auto returns password before you can type it.

as your entries above show from you log -
    Hi
    Who is this 'They' you refer too? You need to try and be a bit more specific, I have no issues with Leap 15.0, GNOME on Xorg and console login, so perhaps desktop or login manager issues.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kallistos View Post
    What is the kernel version you are on?
    Everything worked and still works OK here across the full range of kernels you mentioned, so it might be kernel _and_ HW dependent, maybe an updated driver that I'm not using with my current HW.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    so it might be kernel _and_ HW dependent
    Sorry...what is 'HW'?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast