Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Leap 15.0 , Console login problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 15.0 , Console login problem

Quote Originally Posted by damidim View Post
    I've just noticed another thread about the problem I'm facing:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...enter-password
    Yes, and I suggest you try the same solution. Reinstall the 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default kernel, using the "Versions" tab in Yast Software Management. Put "oldest" in the "multiversion.kernels" in "/etc/zypp/zypp.conf", as in
    Code:
    multiversion.kernels = oldest,latest,latest-1,running
    Then use the "Advanced" menu item during boot to select that kernel. If that fixes your problem, then keep using that kernel until a future kernel update corrects the problem.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, and I suggest you try the same solution.
    If that fixes your problem, then keep using that kernel until a future kernel update corrects the problem.
    Thanks, I've just followed your advice and the problem disappeared with kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default. Now, I'm going to submit a bug report.

I can also confirm that with .25 kernel version the value entered into the Password prompt doesn't seem to get processed and the cursor waits at the password prompt indefinitely.

Kernel maintainers have asked if anyone has solved this by trying KOTD? Installing kernel 4.20 is easy to do with zypper or yast if you copy http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...rnel:HEAD.repo into /etc/zypp/repos.d/
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I came across the very same problem. On a desktop I had this problem initially, but after a reinstall due to a disk that died, the problem has gone away. The desktop system is running kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default.

Yesterday I upgraded my notebook from 42.3 to leap15 and here the console login problem appeared after the upgrade. Using kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default the system works fine.

Both systems are running with an encrypted root disk. I also have another leap 15 system at home, that does not have this problem and here the root fs is not encrypted. Perhaps a hint.

Is there anything new to a solution for this problem?

Thanks
    Rainer

Last poster I saw ask about failure to be able to login I saw was on Linuxquestions.org a few days ago. He didn't describe his problem to look the same as posters on this thread, but I think it may have been, even though in Tumbleweed. I suggested he boot the errant kernel in single mode (append S to linux line using e key at Grub menu), login, make some change in YaST user management, then reboot. Maybe the same process would work for the 12.28 kernel in 15.0.
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Last poster I saw ask about failure to be able to login I saw was on Linuxquestions.org a few days ago. He didn't describe his problem to look the same as posters on this thread, but I think it may have been, even though in Tumbleweed. I suggested he boot the errant kernel in single mode (append S to linux line using e key at Grub menu), login, make some change in YaST user management, then reboot. Maybe the same process would work for the 12.28 kernel in 15.0.
    Thanks for your answer. Well my problem is that no matter which account I use even root I get no chance to enter the corresponding password to finish my login. I simply do not get a password prompt instead the login prompt immediately appears again.

I also tried single user mode. In this mode a root console login does work just fine. Strange.

Thanks
    Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by krienke View Post
    I also tried single user mode. In this mode a root console login does work just fine. Strange.
    While in single, did you open YaST and make any kind of change to any user, such as adding one, or changing a password, then try booting and logging in normally?

Actually this would have had some kind of magic if such a change would have helped :-)
    Well I booted into single user and added a new user using yast. After a reboot the console login problem unfortunately was back again. But thanks anyway.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by krienke View Post
    I simply do not get a password prompt
    That was only one of the symptoms I encountered over time on two older laptops, which differ from a desktop PC with intel processor graphics (on which Leap 15.0 runs well) in that they both have NVIDIA graphics.

On both laptops openSUSE 13.2 and Leap 42.2 / 42.3 worked, openSUSE 13.2 even rock solid without any problem, but on both, since its installation two or three months ago, Leap 15.0 hardly ever worked in a way that I could use it.

During the several installation attempts of Leap 15.0, which on both systems took place using the "DVD" installer and the four openSUSE repositories only, I followed the suggestion of the installer to not install Mesa-dri-nouveau.

On the one laptop, a Dell Vostro 1720 with NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS / G96M, two days ago the following happened:
    Booting into Leap 15.0 KDE, login for the standard user takes place automatically,
    due to the experiences that I gathered, I immediately press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to login as root before anything else,
    ha, I get a dead-head replacing my mouse cursor - never saw that before and it's a pity that I didn't take a photo -,
    I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del, which surprisingly gave me the option to shut down, which I did,
    the system ends up with the message that there has been a Kernel BUG due to that the command queue is full.

After that I deleted Leap 15.0 from that Vostro in order to try another clean install, which I however did not after reading through this thread, and the other thread i.e.,
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...enter-password

Symptoms - in general - weren't that dramatic as just described.
    The first things that I frequently observed were that KDE became irresponsive after some clicks - no application could be started anymore, no shutdown, login via Ctrl-Alt-F1 then did not work anymore, because I didn't get the password prompt, or it took that long that login was timed out.
    Having reached that state I always had to power off the hard way.

The second laptop is a no-name with core i3 and GeForce 310M.
    Here I installed Leap 15.0 on a USB stick / key, from which I booted.
    That works just fine with another USB stick / key with Leap 42.3 installed on, and I'm pretty happy that 42.3 is expected to be maintained until the end of June!
    On both laptops I had problems to make the updates, so Leap 15.0 on the USB stick still had kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default, and

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Reinstall the 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default kernel
    therefore doesn't apply.

Symptoms were similar to those on the Vostro.
    Except for yesterday:
    I boot into Leap 15.0.
    I immediately press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to login as root before anything else, which was successful.
    In KDE I use the network manager applet to cut the WLAN/WiFi connection (the laptop was connected by cable).
    YaST won't start anymore.
    Ctrl-Alt-F1 again, I get to the root prompt there.
    Then the following happened (I took a photo of that).

Code:
    linux-9eg7:~ # shutdown -h now
    Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
    Failed to talk to init daemon.
    linux-9eg7:~ #
    Power off the hard way again.

This morning I tried to boot the even older kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.14-default, that was still present on that installation.
    Now Leap 15.0 doesn't even boot into KDE anymore.
    I get a mouse cursor with the wrong colour along with the startup messages, and that's it.
    Maybe the last forced power off left its traces.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast