Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leap 15.0 , Console login problem

Default Re: Leap 15.0 , Console login problem

I wish I could be more help, because this has happened to me more than twice in the not terribly distant past. I simply cannot remember any details. The only thing I seem to recall, besides being 100% en_US and using PS/2-connected keyboards, is getting back in via chroot.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

On Sat 15 Dec 2018 08:36:03 PM CST, mrmazda wrote:

I wish I could be more help, because this has happened to me more than
    twice in the not terribly distant past. I simply cannot remember any
    details. The only thing I seem to recall, besides being 100% en_US and
    using PS/2-connected keyboards, is getting back in via chroot.

Hi
    Wonder if it's one of the input packages missing?

Code:
    zypper se -i input
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I doubt that it is input issue as we can type in users names to the login prompt.

Code:
    VM1:~ # zypper se -i input
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                  | Summary                                   | Type   
    ---+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | libinput-udev         | Input device and event processing libra-> | package
    i+ | libinput10            | Input device and event processing library | package
    i  | libxcb-xinput0        | X11 XInput Extension C library            | package
    i  | libxcb-xinput0-32bit  | X11 XInput Extension C library            | package
    i+ | xf86-input-evdev      | Generic Linux input driver for the Xorg-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-joystick   | Joystick input driver for the Xorg X se-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-keyboard   | Keyboard input driver for the Xorg X se-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-libinput   | Libinput driver for the Xorg X server     | package
    i+ | xf86-input-mouse      | Mouse input driver for the Xorg X server  | package
    i+ | xf86-input-synaptics  | Synaptics touchpad input driver for the-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-vmmouse    | VMware Mouse input driver for the Xorg -> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-void       | Null input driver for the Xorg X server   | package
    i+ | xf86-input-wacom      | Wacom input driver for the Xorg X server  | package
    i+ | xinput                | Utility to configure and test X input d-> | package
    i+ | xorg-x11-driver-input | Compatibility metapackage for X.Org inp-> | package
    VM1:~ #
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I doubt that it is input issue as we can type in users names to the login prompt.

Code:
    VM1:~ # zypper se -i input
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                  | Summary                                   | Type   
    ---+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | libinput-udev         | Input device and event processing libra-> | package
    i+ | libinput10            | Input device and event processing library | package
    i  | libxcb-xinput0        | X11 XInput Extension C library            | package
    i  | libxcb-xinput0-32bit  | X11 XInput Extension C library            | package
    i+ | xf86-input-evdev      | Generic Linux input driver for the Xorg-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-joystick   | Joystick input driver for the Xorg X se-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-keyboard   | Keyboard input driver for the Xorg X se-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-libinput   | Libinput driver for the Xorg X server     | package
    i+ | xf86-input-mouse      | Mouse input driver for the Xorg X server  | package
    i+ | xf86-input-synaptics  | Synaptics touchpad input driver for the-> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-vmmouse    | VMware Mouse input driver for the Xorg -> | package
    i+ | xf86-input-void       | Null input driver for the Xorg X server   | package
    i+ | xf86-input-wacom      | Wacom input driver for the Xorg X server  | package
    i+ | xinput                | Utility to configure and test X input d-> | package
    i+ | xorg-x11-driver-input | Compatibility metapackage for X.Org inp-> | package
    VM1:~ #
    Hi
    Yes, had my doubt's as well....

So in your VM, can you change the type of keyboard to say a USB, or connect an external keyboard as a USB device in a VM and see if the issue resolves?

You could also try disabling acpi osi via the kernel option acpi_osi=

If you open a terminal in your desktop and as your user use the command chvt 1 (to get to tty1) or 2 etc (DE would normally be 7), does the issue go away?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Yes, had my doubt's as well....

So in your VM, can you change the type of keyboard to say a USB, or connect an external keyboard as a USB device in a VM and see if the issue resolves?

You could also try disabling acpi osi via the kernel option acpi_osi=

If you open a terminal in your desktop and as your user use the command chvt 1 (to get to tty1) or 2 etc (DE would normally be 7), does the issue go away?
    ACPI enabled/disabled on VM - no difference for tty1-6 - mouse was flakey (Slow to move or click but still worked) in VM when disabled (documented VBox issue in 5.2 not in 5.1 fix seems to be in and out of every other release)

PS/2 Keyboard to motherboard on Host - no change

USB Keyboard to Motherboard on Host - no change

USB Keyboard attached to VM via USB 2.0 port (not main ps/2 keyboard on host) - no change

Code:
    # chvt 1
    #
    no difference than using keyboard to switch to tty1 - auto password entry
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Same problem here.
    Leap 15 on HP zBook.
    With Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.25 I have the problem after typeing in the password ad hit enter nothing happens, like described here before. BUT: When you press the enter key constantly then after about 10sec the login is taken along with a lot of enter hits. Everything seems ok on console, but then I tried to install NVIDIA driver with the shell script. And there is the same behavior with the enter key. So you have to choose between 2 options 3 or 4 times. But because the enter hit isn't taken instantly you have to hit the key a lot of times and then after gaps of about 10 sec the console reacts and is taking the entered key plus all the enter keys, which activating the default setting of the next option.
    And with Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28 it's the same as described here, too.

Hello

Similar problem here, Leap 15, desktop PC, kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default. In every virtual console (1-6), when I type my username at the login prompt, I have no time to enter the password afterwards. Instead a cr/lf it seems to be entered automatically, the password prompt reappears, again a cr/lf it seems to be entered without any action from myself and the Login incorrect message is shown, with a reappearance of the welcome message and the login prompt.

My keyboard hwinfo (keyboard is connected via a kvm, but the problem remains even if I connect a ps/2 keyboard directly):
    17: USB 00.0: 10800 Keyboard
    [Created at usb.122]
    Unique ID: LybY.K6PW6TWtOA0
    Parent ID: eqBD.Uktxy1IOZI5
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-4/3-4.1/3-4.1:1.0
    SysFS BusID: 3-4.1:1.0
    Hardware Class: keyboard
    Model: "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0"
    Hotplug: USB
    Vendor: usb 0x045e "Microsoft Corp."
    Device: usb 0x00db "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0"
    Revision: "1.73"
    Driver: "usbhid"
    Driver Modules: "usbhid"
    Device File: /dev/input/event1
    Device Files: /dev/input/event1, /dev/input/by-id/usb-Microsoft_Natural®_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000-event-kbd, /dev/input/by-path/pc
    i-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:4.1:1.0-event-kbd
    Device Number: char 13:65
    Speed: 12 Mbps
    Module Alias: "usb:v045Ep00DBd0173dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip01in00"
    Driver Info #0:
    XkbRules: xfree86
    XkbModel: pc104
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #15 (Hub)
    The strange thing is that with the other desktop pc operated via the same kvm, with leap 15 (same kernel version) as well, but with other hw components (the first is an intel i5 hashwel/internal graphics/gigabyte mb, the second is an amd ryzen 5/nvidia graphics/asus mb), there is no problem to login into the consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by damidim View Post
    In every virtual console (1-6), when I type my username at the login prompt, I have no time to enter the password afterwards. Instead a cr/lf it seems to be entered automatically, the password prompt reappears, again a cr/lf it seems to be entered without any action from myself and the Login incorrect message is shown, with a reappearance of the welcome message and the login prompt.
    You could try what I touch on in post #21: boot something else, chroot into 15.0, do zypper ve and zypper up, then reboot to see if the problem clears up. I think that was my solution more than once.

Other times on more than one PC I've seen a somewhat similar problem. After logging into a resumed X session, Konsole restarts with login prompts streaming, as can be seen when it first paints less than a full screen of bash prompts and promptly fills up, as if I was holding down the ENTER key, and few other keystrokes can be made to appear as the new prompts are painted.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I can confirm this problem -- exactly as you described. Cannot get into any console whatsoever. The auto entering of the password makes it impossible to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I have the same problem and am unable to login on tty1 - tty6 with kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.25, however, everything works fine with the 4.12.14-lp150.12.22 and earlier kernels. You type in the password and nothing returns - no error - no prompt - dead terminal.

I have the same problem with the new released kernel and am unable to login on tty1 - tty6 with kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.28, this version auto enters the password ( you cannot type anything ) and it says it cannot log you in and try again.

Makes you wonder if they test anything before releasing it to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    You could try what I touch on in post #21: boot something else, chroot into 15.0, do zypper ve and zypper up, then reboot to see if the problem clears up. I think that was my solution more than once.
    Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, didn't solve the problem. I logged into KDE, opened a terminal and executed zypper ve and zypper up. No actions needed to perform. After reboot, the problem persists.

I've just noticed another thread about the problem I'm facing:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...enter-password
    Last edited by damidim; 27-Dec-2018 at 01:34. Reason: Found similar thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast