Thread: Thunderbolt could not be detected

Exclamation Thunderbolt could not be detected

I have just tried a fresh installation of Tumbleweed with Gnome on my laptop that has a Thunderbolt port, but Settings >>> Devices >> Thunderbolt just shows the following error message:

No Thunderbolt support

Thunderbolt could not be detected.
    Either the system lacks Thunderbolt support, it has been disabled in the BIOS or is set to an unsupported security level in the BIOS.
    Thunderbolt is enabled in the BIOS, set to security level "Unique ID", the thunderbolt kernel module is loaded, /sys/bus/thunderbolt is accessible, and that Gnome Thunderbolt settings menu is working as expected when I boot into a Fedora 29 live session, but not in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

So what am I missing here?

Default Re: Thunderbolt could not be detected

A few hours later and some more comparisons between Fedora 29 and openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome have shown that the bolt daemon (boltd) is completely missing in openSUSE and not even available in any user repo:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/bolt/bolt

I can't believe that Thunderbolt 3 is still that rare that nobody else using openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome has discovered that a key component is missing.

I'm just a user and do not really intend to stick with Gnome (which I was just trying to have a look at the Thunderbolt settings menu as there still is no equivalent for KDE). Is this something to report to the openSUSE dev team as a bug or feature request and how?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thunderbolt could not be detected

Hi
    Looks like thunderbolt-user-space is present (the intel package)...
    https://github.com/intel/thunderbolt...are-user-space
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!