Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

It seems further debugging might not be needed: As of kernel 4.19.7 the issue appears to go away, I'm able to boot with amdgpu normally like before. The last kernel I still saw the problem with is 4.19.5. Anyone know what could have changed in between them, so perhaps we can keep a lookout for such an issue in the future and prevent it?

Perhaps this might have been a package issue in openSUSE: Michel Dänzer from the FreeDesktop bug tracker suggested that as of 4.19, the kernel loads all firmware from "path/firmware/amdgpu/" instead of falling back to "path/firmware/radeon/" when something is missing. Did the Tumbleweed snapshot 20181208 make any updates in this regard? In any case, I'll mark this as resolved and reopen in case the issue ever returns.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    As of kernel 4.19.7 the issue appears to go away, I'm able to boot with amdgpu normally like before.
    I'm glad to hear that it is now working.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    It seems further debugging might not be needed: As of kernel 4.19.7 the issue appears to go away, I'm able to boot with amdgpu normally like before. The last kernel I still saw the problem with is 4.19.5. Anyone know what could have changed in between them, so perhaps we can keep a lookout for such an issue in the future and prevent it?

Perhaps this might have been a package issue in openSUSE: Michel Dänzer from the FreeDesktop bug tracker suggested that as of 4.19, the kernel loads all firmware from "path/firmware/amdgpu/" instead of falling back to "path/firmware/radeon/" when something is missing. Did the Tumbleweed snapshot 20181208 make any updates in this regard? In any case, I'll mark this as resolved and reopen in case the issue ever returns.
    Hi
    Review the changes via the mailing list notification, or the kernel changelog...

I see a couple of amdgpu fixes, is it applicable, not sure, never had an issue with amdgpu in the 4.19 series...

Code:
    - drm/amdgpu: Fix oops when pp_funcs->switch_power_profile is
      unset (bnc#1012628).
    - drm/amdgpu: fix bug with IH ring setup (bnc#1012628).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Review the changes via the mailing list notification, or the kernel changelog...

I see a couple of amdgpu fixes, is it applicable, not sure, never had an issue with amdgpu in the 4.19 series...

Code:
    - drm/amdgpu: Fix oops when pp_funcs->switch_power_profile is
      unset (bnc#1012628).
    - drm/amdgpu: fix bug with IH ring setup (bnc#1012628).
    Thanks. It was most likely one of those bugs then.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

When we got kernel 4.19.x I too developed boot flicker. This is a follow up to an earlier post in this thread. Not amdgpu but nvidia in my case. I ended up making a fresh install and staying with nouveau. Adding the repo-nividia causes the problem. So, it seems to be kernel 4.19.x with the repo-nvidia driver. I hope they work this out because I do notice some tearing and loss of sharpness with nouveau.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345