Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

Starting with kernel 4.19.1 and continuing with 4.19.5 (snapshot 20181205) boot takes 3 to 10 minutes of screen flashing and the "loading" squared are not where they usually are. Then everything is normal. When I could boot from 4.18.x the problem disappears. When I restore a 6 month old backup copy it works until I zypper dup.

NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
    ASUS m5a99fx mobo

I may install the NVIDIA driver "the hard way" thinking that may solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by randalhoctor View Post
    Starting with kernel 4.19.1 and continuing with 4.19.5 (snapshot 20181205) boot takes 3 to 10 minutes of screen flashing and the "loading" squared are not where they usually are. Then everything is normal. When I could boot from 4.18.x the problem disappears.
    With newer kernels things become worse and worse. 4.19.5 freezes PC on boot, forced to rollback to 4.19.4 for now which works fine for me.

It works fine with the 4.19.5.1 kernel , Nvidia GT610 , Driver 390.87 from Repo
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    It works fine with the 4.19.5.1 kernel , Nvidia GT610 , Driver 390.87 from Repo
    Nothing has changed here with snapshot 20181206 so mine is a different problem. Disappointed that such a major issue can go on for so long, without the problem having even been confirmed or pinpointed yet.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Nothing has changed here with snapshot 20181206 so mine is a different problem. Disappointed that such a major issue can go on for so long, without the problem having even been confirmed or pinpointed yet.
    Hi
    More likely hardware specific combination, very hard sometimes to duplicate since the likelihood of a dev having the exact same setup.

Currently no issues here amdgpu/4.19.5 kernel, so have you tried a different DE, eg IceWM? Switch from Xorg to Wayland or vis versa..
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    More likely hardware specific combination, very hard sometimes to duplicate since the likelihood of a dev having the exact same setup.

Currently no issues here amdgpu/4.19.5 kernel, so have you tried a different DE, eg IceWM? Switch from Xorg to Wayland or vis versa..
    It is driver / firmware specific, though it should be affecting multiple video cards. I cannot test whether it's Xorg / Wayland specific, as this choice is made post login screen.

Blog Entries

It is driver / firmware specific, though it should be affecting multiple video cards. I cannot test whether it's Xorg / Wayland specific, as this choice is made post login screen.
    Hi
    So can you boot to runlevel three fine? Add a 3 to your grub boot options, have you tried nomodset, have you tried the amdgpu.dc=0 boot option?

Are you running plymouth, have you tried disabling that, plymouth.enable=0?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So can you boot to runlevel three fine? Add a 3 to your grub boot options, have you tried nomodset, have you tried the amdgpu.dc=0 boot option?

Are you running plymouth, have you tried disabling that, plymouth.enable=0?

Do I simply add a 3 as a parameter? nomodeset I haven't yet tried... I just type that into the kernel boot parameters correct? amdgpu.dc=0 I have tried, it only changes what gets frozen on the screen... see a few posts above on that. plymouth.enable=0 too, no difference.

Blog Entries

Do I simply add a 3 as a parameter? nomodeset I haven't yet tried... I just type that into the kernel boot parameters correct? amdgpu.dc=0 I have tried, it only changes what gets frozen on the screen... see a few posts above on that. plymouth.enable=0 too, no difference.
    Hi
    Yes, into the kernel boot parameters, and yes, just the 3 can you also add console=tty and the plymouth.enable=0 to see if can get more info on the screen output.

Quote Originally Posted by randalhoctor View Post
    Starting with kernel 4.19.1 and continuing with 4.19.5 (snapshot 20181205) boot takes 3 to 10 minutes of screen flashing and the "loading" squared are not where they usually are. Then everything is normal. When I could boot from 4.18.x the problem disappears. When I restore a 6 month old backup copy it works until I zypper dup.

NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
    ASUS m5a99fx mobo

I may install the NVIDIA driver "the hard way" thinking that may solve it.
    When I add 3 after Linux .... QUIET 3 it starts with the three little progress indicator boxes offset from normal, but does enter Runlevel 3 just fine.
    Login as root OK
    #startx <----starts OK (runlevel 5 ?)
    Logout <--- back to runlevel 3 as root #
    I want to get back into runlevel 5 as user ...without the 10 minutes of a runlevel 5 boot
    So, could it be something between runlevel 3 and startx?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast