Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    717

    Default Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1116106

    I'm running into a major issue, which seems to have been introduced with Kernel 4.19.1 which is now available in the latest openSUSE Tumbleweed snapshot.

    My machine refuses to boot with this kernel. It remains stuck at a black screen right after issuing the boot command in grub2. The HDD led flashes a few times shortly after grub2 disappears, but after that it will stay off and nothing new happens. I cannot use "control + alt + fN" to switch to a different runlevel either, however I'm still able to toggle the NumLock / CapsLock leds which means the system isn't freezing up entirely. The computer won't respond to the power button and has to be restarted via the reset button. I'm also noticing a longer delay after the "initializing ramdisks" message, before the boot loader disappears and I'm supposed to see either the console or splash screen.

    I've already discovered an important clue: Although the delay persists and I never see a console or splash screen during the boot process (just a black screen), Kernel 4.19.1 appears to boot successfully if I'm using the 'radeon' and not 'amdgpu' driver. I was able to load it once after removing the following parameters from my Kernel command line, which I default to in order to run my GCN 2.0 card on the most modern driver (Radeon R9 390 8GB):

    Code:
    radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    717

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Update: I just booted my mother's computer. It also uses openSUSE Tumbleweed and has the latest snapshot, as well as the same kernel parameters for amdgpu. Her video card is a GCN 1.0 (Radeon R7 370 2GB).

    For her there are absolutely no issues when booting with 4.19.1. The delay after "initializing ramdisks" does show up (it's even longer), however the splash screen will then display and booting is successful.

    I'm pondering whether Kernel 4.19 introduces an issue in amdgpu which affects GCN 2.0 video cards explicitly. If anyone here has such a card, can you confirm or infirm the results I'm getting to be sure?
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    On Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:46:03 PM CST, MirceaKitsune wrote:


    Update: I just booted my mother's computer. It also uses openSUSE
    Tumbleweed and has the latest snapshot, as well as the same kernel
    parameters for amdgpu. Her video card is a GCN 1.0 (Radeon R7 370 2GB).

    For her there are absolutely no issues when booting with 4.19.1. The
    delay after "initializing ramdisks" does show up (it's even longer),
    however the splash screen will then display and booting is successful.

    I'm pondering whether Kernel 4.19 introduces an issue in amdgpu which
    affects GCN 2.0 video cards explicitly. If anyone here has such a card,
    can you confirm or infirm the results I'm getting to be sure?


    Hi
    For GCN 1.0 I only use amdgpu.cik_support=1 nothing else, and blacklist
    radeon. Don't have GCN 2.0, only GCN 3.0 which just uses amdgpu.

    What happens if you remove the boot options and blacklist radeon only?
    But does sound like a regression.... Or maybe this kernel has better
    GCN 2.0 support and the options/blacklist are not needed.


    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,654
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Search the forums and you'll find at least one other user.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    717

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Search the forums and you'll find at least one other user.
    This thread? I've subbed to it and will follow its progress as well, thanks. Seems to be about the same thing, I'll follow your advice there and wait a bit longer. I'm seeing 4.19.2 is already waiting in Factory, I'll try this kernel again once that makes it in. If this doesn't fix it either I'll investigate deeper, and also try out the parameters malcolmlewis suggested above.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    On Thu 15 Nov 2018 12:06:03 AM CST, Knurpht wrote:


    Search the forums and you'll find at least one other user.
    Hi
    This is amdgpu oss driver related, not nvidia

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    This thread? I've subbed to it and will follow its progress as well, thanks. Seems to be about the same thing, I'll follow your advice there and wait a bit longer. I'm seeing 4.19.2 is already waiting in Factory, I'll try this kernel again once that makes it in. If this doesn't fix it either I'll investigate deeper, and also try out the parameters malcolmlewis suggested above.
    Hi
    OK, my card is a Mullins and GCN 2.0, and is working fine with the 4.19.1 kernel amd GNOME DE...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...e_Next#Chips_2

    Suggest a /etc/modprobe.d/50-radeon.conf file with blacklist radeon and just the one kernel boot option.

    Else might be DE related...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    717

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    OK, my card is a Mullins and GCN 2.0, and is working fine with the 4.19.1 kernel amd GNOME DE...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...e_Next#Chips_2

    Suggest a /etc/modprobe.d/50-radeon.conf file with blacklist radeon and just the one kernel boot option.

    Else might be DE related...
    DE related sounds like a weird possibility, since the DE comes after the login process and shouldn't affect things so early during boot. Perhaps SDDM related at most? I think it varies with specific types of GPU's, most logical reason I can imagine.

    I'll wait for Kernel 4.19.2 as I understand the drivers will be recompiled for it. If that doesn't fix it either I'll try different boot parameters and see what that does.

    Just remember those 4 kernel parameters I quoted in the first post work perfectly on my mother's computer, which has the exact same TW snapshot just a GCN 1.0 card instead of 2.0. So the issue must be hardware related, those parameters haven't broken for openSUSE or the new Kernel.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    DE related sounds like a weird possibility, since the DE comes after the login process and shouldn't affect things so early during boot. Perhaps SDDM related at most? I think it varies with specific types of GPU's, most logical reason I can imagine.

    I'll wait for Kernel 4.19.2 as I understand the drivers will be recompiled for it. If that doesn't fix it either I'll try different boot parameters and see what that does.

    Just remember those 4 kernel parameters I quoted in the first post work perfectly on my mother's computer, which has the exact same TW snapshot just a GCN 1.0 card instead of 2.0. So the issue must be hardware related, those parameters haven't broken for openSUSE or the new Kernel.
    Hi
    Could be hardware, you might want to try now to confirm and try and get some logs for your bug report..... you will be asked for some files for sure...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kernel 4.19.1 won't boot (black screen)

    Not just amdgpu or nvidia. I've got a Lenovo T61 that exhibited the same behavior after the update to 4.19.1.
    My video card: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)

    It looks like as soon as the initrd loads, it immediately crashes and causes a reboot. The only way for me to recover was rolling back to a snapshot with 4.18.
    I can update everything else but if I go to the 4.19 kernel, I'm toast.

    Interestingly enough, I also have a desktop machine that is having no issues with 4.19.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    This is amdgpu oss driver related, not nvidia

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •