Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeze after update to Snapshot 20181112 / Radeon Vega and amdgpu on Athlon 200GE

Default Re: Freeze after update to Snapshot 20181112 / Radeon Vega and amdgpu on Athlon 200GE

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So what is the exact model card you have?

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    The kernel-firmware package is installed?
    Hi, kernel-firmware package 20181001-1.1 is installed. GPU is a AMD Athlon 200GE Dual Core.
    I bought this CPU about one month ago because of its energy efficiency. Mainboard is Asus Prime B350 Plus

Here's the output:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:15dd] (rev cb)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:876b]
    Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Kernel modules: amdgpu
    Thanks a lot for your support !

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freeze after update to Snapshot 20181112 / Radeon Vega and amdgpu on Athlon 200GE

Quote Originally Posted by loewe19 View Post
    Hi, kernel-firmware package 20181001-1.1 is installed. GPU is a AMD Athlon 200GE Dual Core.
    I bought this CPU about one month ago because of its energy efficiency. Mainboard is Asus Prime B350 Plus

Here's the output:

Thanks a lot for your support !
    Hi
    OK, so it's a Raven, so the kernel-firmware has this and your card is picking the right driver..

So you get to grub and soon after booting, just a black screen, no cursor visible? If after you boot and press the esc key, do you get output? When the screen does go blank, if you press ctrl+alt+F1 do you get to a VT?

If you edit the grub boot option for the 4.19.1 kernel, on the line that has quiet on it, can you add
    Code:
    plymouth.enable=0
    See how that goes.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi
    OK, so it's a Raven, so the kernel-firmware has this and your card is picking the right driver..

So you get to grub and soon after booting, just a black screen, no cursor visible? If after you boot and press the esc key, do you get output? When the screen does go blank, if you press ctrl+alt+F1 do you get to a VT?

If you edit the grub boot option for the 4.19.1 kernel, on the line that has quiet on it, can you add
    Code:
    plymouth.enable=0
    See how that goes.
    Hi, i just gave it a try and added the boot option plymouth.enable=0, then I booted the system... the first 2 seconds I saw the boot messages (standard vga res) , but then everything disappeared, black screen, monitor shows message "no signal". No VT switch with ctr+alt+F1 and also no reset possible. Only hard power off can help so far.
    My guess: when trying to switch a to higher screen resolution the system freezes completely.

BUT I have a fully functional previous tumbleweed with Kernel 4.18 in my boot menu - so the issue is not that tragical for me. I think I will wait for a newer release as Knurpht already suggested.

Dear malcolmlewis, Thanks a lot for your patience, competence and helpfulness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loewe19 View Post
    Hi, i just gave it a try and added the boot option plymouth.enable=0, then I booted the system... the first 2 seconds I saw the boot messages (standard vga res) , but then everything disappeared, black screen, monitor shows message "no signal". No VT switch with ctr+alt+F1 and also no reset possible. Only hard power off can help so far.
    My guess: when trying to switch a to higher screen resolution the system freezes completely.

BUT I have a fully functional previous tumbleweed with Kernel 4.18 in my boot menu - so the issue is not that tragical for me. I think I will wait for a newer release as Knurpht already suggested.

Dear malcolmlewis, Thanks a lot for your patience, competence and helpfulness
    Hi
    No worries, glad to be of help

If you have another computer/smart phone(?) around and can log in via ssh to the computer then could probably get a better idea of what's happening.

One thing you need to do if it jumps to a newer kernel to configure zypper and multi-version to keep that 4.18 kernel around just in case 4.19.2 doesn't work either and it removes the 4.18 one.
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freeze after update to Snapshot 20181112 / Radeon Vega andamdgpu on Athlon 200GE

On Thu 15 Nov 2018 09:46:03 PM CST, malcolmlewis wrote:

loewe19;2886466 Wrote:
    > Hi, kernel-firmware package 20181001-1.1 is installed. GPU is a AMD
    > Athlon 200GE Dual Core.
    > I bought this CPU about one month ago because of its energy
    > efficiency. Mainboard is Asus Prime B350 Plus
    >
    > Here's the output:
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your support !

Hi
    OK, so it's a Raven, so the kernel-firmware has this and your card is
    picking the right driver..

So you get to grub and soon after booting, just a black screen, no
    cursor visible? If after you boot and press the esc key, do you get
    output? When the screen does go blank, if you press ctrl+alt+F1 do you
    get to a VT?

If you edit the grub boot option for the 4.19.1 kernel, on the line that
    has quiet on it, can you add

Code:
    --------------------

plymouth.enable=0

--------------------

See how that goes.
    Hi
    And just a followup to those dracut warnings, that firmware doesn't
    exist in the kernel-firmware tree yet...
    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...it/tree/amdgpu

--
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default

Default Re: Freeze after update to Snapshot 20181112 / Radeon Vega andamdgpu on Athlon 200GE

Hello,

thx a lot for this !

Today I tried to do a new install with Tumbleweed snapshot 20181129. I downloaded the Iso Image.

The Installer alone still crashes at bootup, same phenomenon as mentioned above (black screen with freeze) - NO chance for an installation.
    So I guess the Radeon Vega / Raven Ridge Firmware for Athlon 200GE still has not found its way into the Kernel 4.19 yet.

I will still use my old Tumbleweed 4.18 setup, which is working and supporting my Graphics perfectly.

Does anyone know where I can verify, when this Firmware will be available in the new Kernel 4.19 ?

Hi
    And just a followup to those dracut warnings, that firmware doesn't
    exist in the kernel-firmware tree yet...
    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...it/tree/amdgpu

--
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12