Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer frozen by btrfs-cleaner & btrfs-transacti using 100% CPU

Blog Entries

Default Re: Computer frozen by btrfs-cleaner & btrfs-transacti using 100% CPU

I decided to spend a few minutes looking into this... again(You never know when something new is posted).

The first thing I considered was whether it's possible to modify the "niceness" (process priority), possibly making any BTRFS maintenance run in the background so other things aren't affected. I couldn't find a ready solution for this and I doubt that modifying the Snapper service would do anything, you'd likely have to manage what Snapper does, not Snapper itself.

There are a few things that can be done, though...
    If you want to avoid(or enable) running BTRFS maintenance and taking a snapshot on boot,
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...pshots_on_boot

You can modify what is snapshotted and when. Although I believe the default configuration is pretty good at this, if your system is set up in some unusual way... like a third party virtualization app like VMware or want to save your virtual machines to an unusual location, or if you're running a RDBMS or other major app with its own idea where to store files, you'll want to apply approprate tweaks
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ting_slowdowns

If you're wondering how Snapper will manage snapshots on your system, you can start by looking at the default configuration at
    Code:
    /etc/snapper/configs/root
    The settings are described in the MAN page
    Code:
    man snapper-configs
    You can either copy and enable your copy or edit the default snapper config file to modify various settings like

• When snapshots are taken, by hours, days, etc. -- There is even a special setting for hourly
    • Snapshot retention, cleaning out old snapshots
    • How much space (percentage of your total file system space) can be used for snapshot data
    • How much free space do you want to reserve so that when your snapshots are full you can still login and things will work (By default .2 of the FS is reserved)
    • Do you want regular Users to run Snapper? You can specify individual Users, or better a Group to have access to Snapper.

Getting back to the idea of configuring BTRFS operations to execute with background priority, so far I've seen nothing that can be done using systemd objects and commands... So, I suppose it can and probably should be done using "old school" methods to configure a process' niceness (You define the command and set the niceness value, this is far easier than changing the nice value after a process is already running which requires discovering the PID which randomly changes whenever the process starts when it's not set).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi
    Thanks for detailed info, I will play with config and hopefully make this issue less annoying (on other case I have few "Spare" minutes to go and grab coffee ).

Hi.
    I had the same problem and after researching in the openSUSE documentation I found out that there are three types of snapshots: timeline, installation and administration.
    I disabled the timeline and administration, leaving the installation active, which I think are essential. In this way the number of snapshots was significantly reduced and I have not had problems again.

Disable timeline snapshots:
    sudo snapper -c root set-config "TIMELINE_CREATE = no"

Disable administration snapshots:
    Set USE_SNAPPER to not in / etc / sysconfig / yast2.

Quote Originally Posted by uric View Post
    Hi.
    I had the same problem and after researching in the openSUSE documentation I found out that there are three types of snapshots: timeline, installation and administration.
    I disabled the timeline and administration, leaving the installation active, which I think are essential. In this way the number of snapshots was significantly reduced and I have not had problems again.

Disable timeline snapshots:
    sudo snapper -c root set-config "TIMELINE_CREATE = no"

Disable administration snapshots:
    Set USE_SNAPPER to not in / etc / sysconfig / yast2.
    Very interesting. Thanks for this useful information! Can this be disabled from the YaST2 GUI?

I'm going to install a new motherboard next month and might have to reinstall the whole OS in the end. I'm ever so slightly considering giving BTRFS another chance, as long as I can disable snapper the moment I experience something like this again.

I don't think I will though, as I think BTRFS itself has issues: When I tried this it wasn't just the machine freezing, but the computer stopped booting after a forced restart. It was frozen on a mount job that would never finish. I took a photo of the screen to keep for reference, before I had to reinstall openSUSE at that stage... it's blurry but experienced people can hopefully read it and explain what happened.

openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for this useful information! Can this be disabled from the YaST2 GUI?

I'm going to install a new motherboard next month and might have to reinstall the whole OS in the end. I'm ever so slightly considering giving BTRFS another chance, as long as I can disable snapper the moment I experience something like this again.

I don't think I will though, as I think BTRFS itself has issues: When I tried this it wasn't just the machine freezing, but the computer stopped booting after a forced restart. It was frozen on a mount job that would never finish. I took a photo of the screen to keep for reference, before I had to reinstall openSUSE at that stage... it's blurry but experienced people can hopefully read it and explain what happened.

It cannot be done from the GUY of YAST2. You need to use konsole and manually modify the configuration file with Dolphin as root.
    See link: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....snapper.setup

I can't help you with your problem, but I have Tumbleweed and Leap 15.1 installed on my laptop and, in my opinion, the problem is not BTRFS but Tumbleweed: it's the price to pay for rolling releases. Leap is much more stable and this does not happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12