Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Frequent display freezes with nouveau after update to Leap 15.0

Blog Entries

Default Re: Frequent display freezes with nouveau after update to Leap 15.0

Quote Originally Posted by palswim View Post
    To report back, I eventually experienced crashes with even this setup.

But, on a positive note, I have been running XFCE (with gdm) for almost a week with no system (i.e. nouveau) crashes.
    A pragmatic solution. Thanks for the update.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: Frequent display freezes with nouveau after update to Leap 15.0

Quote Originally Posted by palswim View Post
    I may have had success by removing the xorg-x11-server-wayland package, which removed the gnome-session-wayland package as well. Since uninstalling these packages, I have been using GNOME and nouveau without crashes, though only for about two days.
    I revisited GNOME after using it on a Leap 42.3 machine successfully and found that in both installations (Leap 15.0 and 42.3), I avoided crashes by using the Window switcher in favor of the Application switcher for my Alt+Tab behavior (but I'm not sure if I'm using these features' proper names). The crashing only differed between 42.3's session crashing and restarting itself, and 15.0's freezing of the display for the entire system.

Additionally, I found that the redshift application can cause some crashing as well, so I haven't tried disabling redshift and using the Application switcher, but that may work as well. However, I would rather use redshift than the Application switching feature.

In short, I think I can avoid crashes in GNOME on Leap 15.0 with the nouveau driver by:

I will keep updating this thread if I figure out how to use GNOME with even fewer of these restrictions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234