Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frequent display freezes with nouveau after update to Leap 15.0

Default Re: Frequent display freezes with nouveau after update to Leap 15.0

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I think what's shown is the nouveau module that's in the initrd. Try running
    Code:
    dracut -f
    then reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    That's not an inclusion in an initrd that I would expect. On three different installations that use xf86-video-nouveau I just tried
    Code:
    lsinitrd /boot/initrd | grep -i veau
    and got null output from each.
    Well, I tried dracut -f anyway, but still receive the same output with inxi.

Please show us a complete Xorg.0.log.
    On my system, Xorg.0.log last had modification over a month ago, presumably it stopped when I upgraded to Leap 15.0. Since Wayland is emulating Xorg (as XWayland), does it place logs in a different file?
    palswim, is your / filesystem BTRFS? I'd like to see the mount stats and your partitioning if it is.
    You mean /etc/fstab?
    Code:
    LABEL=System / btrfs noatime,defaults 0 0
    LABEL=System /boot/grub2/i386-pc btrfs noatime,subvol=@/boot/grub2/i386-pc 0 0
    LABEL=System /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi btrfs noatime,subvol=@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi 0 0
    LABEL=System /home btrfs noatime,subvol=@/home 0 0
    LABEL=System /opt btrfs noatime,subvol=@/opt 0 0
    LABEL=System /srv btrfs noatime,subvol=@/srv 0 0
    LABEL=System /tmp btrfs noatime,subvol=@/tmp 0 0
    LABEL=System /usr/local btrfs noatime,subvol=@/usr/local 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/cache btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/cache 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/crash btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/crash 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/libvirt/images btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/libvirt/images 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/machines btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/machines 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/mailman btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/mailman 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/mariadb btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/mariadb 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/mysql btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/mysql 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/named btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/named 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/lib/pgsql btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/lib/pgsql 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/log btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/log 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/opt btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/opt 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/spool btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/spool 0 0
    LABEL=System /var/tmp btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var/tmp 0 0
    LABEL=System /.snapshots btrfs noatime,subvol=@/.snapshots 0 0
    UUID=#### swap                 swap       defaults              0 0

Quote Originally Posted by palswim View Post
    On my system, Xorg.0.log last had modification over a month ago, presumably it stopped when I upgraded to Leap 15.0. Since Wayland is emulating Xorg (as XWayland), does it place logs in a different file?
    Maybe it's somewhere in ~/.local/share/? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101756 suggests there may have been (and may still be?) no desired logging available.

Other than finding a way to not use *wayland, I'm out of suggestions. IMO Wayland's not ready for displacing Xorg. A simple B.O.O search Content: wayland Status: UNCONFIRMED, NEW, CONFIRMED, IN_PROGRESS, REOPENED Product: openSUSE Distribution returns 40 open bugs. This may be one that needs to be added.

Have you tried using Xorg since your original post? How about XFCE or IceWM (or anything besides Gnome, in Xorg), to see if the freezing persists outside of Gnome or Wayland?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

No, Wayland is not emulating Xorg. There are no equivalent logs if Gnome acting as Wayland compositor.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    No, Wayland is not emulating Xorg.
    Perhaps I'm using slightly inaccurate terminology. Wayland is running an X Server as a middle layer between its compositor and the X Client for "GNOME on Xorg".

Blog Entries

Perhaps I'm using slightly inaccurate terminology. Wayland is running an X Server as a middle layer between its compositor and the X Client for "GNOME on Xorg".
    That’s not correct. Gnome renders directly using EGL. GTK applications should use the Wayland backend. The lg (looking glass) tool in GNOME can be used to determine what display server a given window is using. XWayland implements a compatibility layer to seamlessly run legacy X11 applications on Wayland.

References:
    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...guide/Wayland/
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland#GTK.2B_3

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Choose LightDM, try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    ... and please continue to ignore my suggestion. I enjoy spending time trying to help and being ignored.
    To humor you, I tried LightDM, but you will have to educate me on how the Display Manager would affect something like this. In any case, with a different Display Manager, GNOME would not idle to screensaver or display shut-off properly, nor handle user switching well, so it was hard to stick with a non-gdm Display Manager.

I may have had success by removing the xorg-x11-server-wayland package, which removed the gnome-session-wayland package as well. Since uninstalling these packages, I have been using GNOME and nouveau without crashes, though only for about two days.

Blog Entries

I may have had success by removing the xorg-x11-server-wayland package, which removed the gnome-session-wayland package as well. Since uninstalling these packages, I have been using GNOME and nouveau without crashes, though only for about two days.
    Selecting a Gnome (on Xorg) session should have been all that was required here (as those packages are only used for Gnome Wayland support).

That’s not correct. Gnome renders directly using EGL. GTK applications should use the Wayland backend. The lg (looking glass) tool in GNOME can be used to determine what display server a given window is using. XWayland implements a compatibility layer to seamlessly run legacy X11 applications on Wayland.
    Which part isn't correct? My phrasing or the diagram I referenced?

Selecting a Gnome (on Xorg) session should have been all that was required here (as those packages are only used for Gnome Wayland support).
    When I had tried GNOME (on Xorg), I had still seen "XWayland" in the logs. Are you saying that I shouldn't have seen that?

To report back, I eventually experienced crashes with even this setup.

But, on a positive note, I have been running XFCE (with gdm) for almost a week with no system (i.e. nouveau) crashes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast