Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to create user account for existing home directory on a fresh install?

Default Re: How to create user account for existing home directory on a fresh install?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    UID for first user is always 1000. Unless you changed stuff the old UID should be 1000. It is just something you need to be aware of UID is important
    Cheers! I just looked under YaST - User and Group Management... my UID is indeed 1000. If that's a default then nothing should change and the new account should the same one. This is my personal computer so I'm the only user (apart from root of course).
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Default Re: How to create user account for existing home directory on a fresh install?

Yes. As gogalthorp says, if you have done nothing unusual with your user in the past, only left the defaults, and if you do not make any conscious changes to the User ID on your new install, the User will be the same, uid=1000, gid=100, so you really should not see any issues.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Hi,

You can even skip the creation of new user during the installation if you choose not to. Just mount the HOME partition to /home and continue with the installation.
    Once you're done with the installation, you can either login without the X server (GUI) and invoke the yast2 ncurses by running the command (as root)

Code:
    yast2 users
    or login with the X server (GUI) running as root (not recommended but doable) and create the user using the yast.
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Both UID and GID are important. IIRC the installer will allow you the set the UID and GID of the new user. The default for the first user is 1000, I don't remember what the default GID is, I believe it's 100.. The "old school" way of determining your user and group IDs is
    Code:
    $ grep <username> /etc/passwd
    . That will give you a colon-delimited line of that user's entry in /etc/passwd. See
    Code:
    $ man passwd.5
    The third and fourth fields are your UID & GID, respectively.

If you use the same username, UID & GID in your new installation you'll have no problems at all.

Have fun,
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by r_widell View Post
    Both UID and GID are important. IIRC the installer will allow you the set the UID and GID of the new user. The default for the first user is 1000, I don't remember what the default GID is, I believe it's 100.. The "old school" way of determining your user and group IDs is
    Code:
    $ grep <username> /etc/passwd
    . That will give you a colon-delimited line of that user's entry in /etc/passwd. See
    Code:
    $ man passwd.5
    The third and fourth fields are your UID & GID, respectively.

If you use the same username, UID & GID in your new installation you'll have no problems at all.

Have fun,
    ron
    Hi,

That solution might be true to other Unix-like system but since SUSE/openSUSE is Linux and has the GNU core-utils installed by default then the command

Code:
    id
    should do the same thing, also

Code:
    id --help
    Code:
    man id
    for more info.

Reinstall done. What worked for me: During installation I chose to skip creating the user, it didn't prompt me on what to do with the existing user directory and I wasn't sure what it might decide. After install I logged in as root, and from the YaST2 interface I chose to create a new account with the exact same data. This time it told me that the directory already exists... it also prompted me to modify the permissions, which I chose not to as I set the same UID. I then just logged in with the username and everything worked as before
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Reinstall done. What worked for me: During installation I chose to skip creating the user, it didn't prompt me on what to do with the existing user directory and I wasn't sure what it might decide. After install I logged in as root, and from the YaST2 interface I chose to create a new account with the exact same data. This time it told me that the directory already exists... it also prompted me to modify the permissions, which I chose not to as I set the same UID. I then just logged in with the username and everything worked as before
    Yes, that is the way I expected it to work. Thanks for reporting back.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Hi,

Glad that worked out for you. That's how I do an upgrade with my vms and my external usb-hdd install, from previous version to the latest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12