Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yast automatic online update for all packages installed on the system?

Default Yast automatic online update for all packages installed on the system?

Hi,

I have Yast online updates confugured to be automatically, including interactive patches and everything else, so that it does all the Updates on its own.

But it seems to me, that Yast only updates the system packages, like Kernel, libs, and so on, but not the application packages. Am I right with this assumption? And is there a way to let Yast update everything automatically? If so: how can I set that up?

Thank you!

Default Re: Yast automatic online update for all packages installed on the system?

YaST Online Update does the same as zypper patch. It updates packages that are in the respective Update repos of the official release, that are the Update-OSS and Update-non-OSS repos (I assume one does not have the debug and source repos active).

It does not update to newer versions of packages that are in any other repos you may have subscribed to (most have subscribed to Packman, but some have more). You can do that with zypper dup, or in YaST by setting it to display the installed packages (several routes to either display all on your system or all from one particular repo on your system) in the right panel and then Right-Click somewhere there and choose: Update all in this list to a newer version if available.

And just for your information: I would never advise to do this kind of action automatic without any chance to intervene.

But in general, when you want to do actions "automatic" at a certain time, you create a command in your crontab that either does what you want or start a script that does what you want. And the command(s) to be used are of course zypper commands in this case.
    Last edited by hcvv; 01-Nov-2018 at 12:44.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Yast automatic online update for all packages installed on the system?

okay, Thank you.

I for one just have activated Pacman and the Nvidia Repo and manually added the Google Repo for Chrome additionally to the normal ones. So, just for clarification: even if there is the marking in the repo list for "update automatically" at (for example) the Google Repo, Yast does not install newer versions of Chrome for instance, because it just looks into the default update Repos?

I am asking because I was under the impression, that if a repo is marked that way, Yast also updates packages from there...

Where do you see that a repo is marked for "update automatically"?

I mean that you must show things. Please do not tell your conclusions, but show the facts where you base your conclusions on. In this case, show that repos list end explain where you see this "update automatically".
    Last edited by hcvv; 01-Nov-2018 at 13:08.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Where do you see that a repo is marked for "update automatically"?

I mean that you must show things. Please do not tell your conclusions, but show the facts where you base your conclusions on. In this case, show that repos list end explain where you see this "update automatically".
    in the "configure repos" screen:

or is it just for refreshing the repo information?

BTW, you are now talking too loosely about "YaST does x..." and "does YaST not do ..."

Your original post talked about YaST Online Update. And YOU (either from the YaST GUI or the command you) does only use the Update repos for patches (as explained above). And there are only Update repos for the official/standard repos (OSS and non-OSS). And the packages in OSS/non-OSS will not be changed. Security and recommended updates come as Patches through the Update repos and are installed by either YOU or zypper patch (but doinf zypper up will also include the zypper patch action)

Talking about YaST, you must remind that YaST is a general tool for doing a lot of system administration. Even when you restrict yourself to YaST > Software, there are several modules and using YaST > Software > Software Management is able to update from other repos (e.g. your Chrome repo) when you tell it so (as also explained above).
    Henk van Velden

If you want updates to come from a repo other then the standard you must make a vendor change to the repo. to tell the system that updates will come from packages in that repo.

As an example to change vendor to packman first do a zypper lr -d. Note the number of the packman repo then zypper dup --from # where # is the repo number noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    in the "configure repos" screen:

or is it just for refreshing the repo information?
    Yes, it is just for refreshing.

BTW, when you next time want to show a repos listing, better use
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    and copy/paste that between CODE tags in your post (to get the CODE tags, use the button with the # in the post editor). That is much easier then handling screen shots and the like. And better readable also.

And that is true for most computer information you want to show here. Avoid the GUI images, but use commands and show them (including the prompt-command line, the output and the next prompt line). That is an enormous help to your helpers
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    BTW, you are now talking too loosely about "YaST does x..." and "does YaST not do ..."

Your original post talked about YaST Online Update. And YOU (either from the YaST GUI or the command you) does only use the Update repos for patches (as explained above). And there are only Update repos for the official/standard repos (OSS and non-OSS). And the packages in OSS/non-OSS will not be changed. Security and recommended updates come as Patches through the Update repos and are installed by either YOU or zypper patch (but doinf zypper up will also include the zypper patch action)

Talking about YaST, you must remind that YaST is a general tool for doing a lot of system administration. Even when you restrict yourself to YaST > Software, there are several modules and using YaST > Software > Software Management is able to update from other repos (e.g. your Chrome repo) when you tell it so (as also explained above).
    Yeah, I know... its my fault - just being lazy ;-) Sorry for that.

Anyway: thank you for the explaination!

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you want updates to come from a repo other then the standard you must make a vendor change to the repo. to tell the system that updates will come from packages in that repo.

As an example to change vendor to packman first do a zypper lr -d. Note the number of the packman repo then zypper dup --from # where # is the repo number noted.
    Sorry, but as I see it, this thread is about what YaST > Software > Online Update does (and does not). It is not about vendor changing, I assume the OP did that already (for Packman) and for Chrome or Nvidia, that is not needed IMO because those packages are only on those extra repos.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast