Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Compaq DC7700 CMT desktop - Sometime Leap 15 just stops and takes a rest for a few minutes

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default HP Compaq DC7700 CMT desktop - Sometime Leap 15 just stops and takes a rest for a few minutes

<Hey user, I need a short break, but won't tell you why>
    But I will stop for a beer break now so hang in there, be back in a few!

I get no click response, keyboard responses, or anything else until something in the system decides it is ready gor mr to use it again.

Where do I look for things to maybe answer why it does this? It isn't consistent, but it does happen nearly every evening while I am using Leap.

PS> I believe it is KDE started via lightDM. Not sure about KDE but am sure of lightDM
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: HP Compaq DC7700 CMT desktop - Sometime Leap 15 just stops and takes a rest for a few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    <Hey user, I need a short break, but won't tell you why>
    But I will stop for a beer break now so hang in there, be back in a few!

I get no click response, keyboard responses, or anything else until something in the system decides it is ready gor mr to use it again.

Where do I look for things to maybe answer why it does this? It isn't consistent, but it does happen nearly every evening while I am using Leap.
    Are we talking about brief times eg 1-2s or significantly longer times? When it occurs, can you still toggle the CAPS LOCK light (instantly) when the key is pressed? If not, that can indicate a possible issue with the X-server.

Which compositing backend is in use currently? Sometimes that can cause issues with some graphics hardware. That can be checked via System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor

or run the following command (filtered for compositor-related output)...
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation|grep Comp
    and report back.

PS> I believe it is KDE started via lightDM. Not sure about KDE but am sure of lightDM
    I'm sure that you know which desktop environment your computer is using Bill.

In any case, your desktop can confirm with...
    Code:
    echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    Code:
    echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: HP Compaq DC7700 CMT desktop - Sometime Leap 15 just stops and takes a rest for a few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Are we talking about brief times eg 1-2s or significantly longer times? When it occurs, can you still toggle the CAPS LOCK light (instantly) when the key is pressed? If not, that can indicate a possible issue with the X-server.

Which compositing backend is in use currently? Sometimes that can cause issues with some graphics hardware. That can be checked via System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor

or run the following command (filtered for compositor-related output)...
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation|grep Comp
    and report back.
    I'm sure that you know which desktop environment your computer is using Bill.

In any case, your desktop can confirm with...
    Code:
    echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    Code:
    echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
    It is KDE and Plasma5
    And the delays are a minute or more at times. They are somewhat near the time the desktop is loaded in and I select something to do, and then it does it's stop for a while thing.

Here is the compositing output requested.
    Code:
    localhost:~> qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation|grep Comp
    Composite: yes; Version: 0x4
    useCompositing: true
    windowsBlockCompositing: true
    Compositing
    Compositing is not active

Something seems off there in the last two lines compared to the first three lines.
    Do you want a capture of the Display and Monitor compositor window. Currently is it OpenGL2 with options for OpenGL3 and xrender
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

It is KDE and Plasma5
    And the delays are a minute or more at times. They are somewhat near the time the desktop is loaded in and I select something to do, and then it does it's stop for a while thing.

Here is the compositing output requested.
    Code:
    Compositing

Something seems off there in the last two lines compared to the first three lines.
    Yes, it is reported as inactive. Not sure why though. Try activating with
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor resume
    then check compositing status again.

Do you want a capture of the Display and Monitor compositor window. Currently is it OpenGL2 with options for OpenGL3 and xrender
    No, that's ok Bill. In any case the settings are in ~/.config/kwinrc, and you can get them with
    Code:
    cat ~/.config/kwinrc
    However, I'm not convinced that this is causing the 'freezing' symptoms that you describe.

after doing the 'resume' thing you suggested above'
    I still get this; same results.
    Code:
    Compositing
    bill@localhost:~> 

And this at the top of the console after doing the
    Code:
    cat ~/.config/kwinrc 
    Code:
    @localhost:~> 
    [Compositing]
    OpenGLIsUnsafe=true

Blog Entries

And this at the top of the console after doing the
    Code:
    cat ~/.config/kwinrc 
    Code:
    @localhost:~> 
    [Compositing]
    OpenGLIsUnsafe=true
    Ah, that would explain why compositing is disabled. Some older Intel hardware for example behaves better with XRender for composition, instead of OpenGL. Try configuring with the xrender backend, or consider disabling it in System Settings.

Which X driver is actually in use, Intel (xf86-video-intel) , or Modesetting (integral to server, not separate package)?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx
    will report if you don't know (Xorg.0.log reports also, but very much more verbosely). Switching between the two might be worth trying, but when I see pauses like you describe I first suspect journaling system bloat or snapshotting. How many files are in /var/log/journal/*/? How much freespace is on the / filesystem?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Which X driver is actually in use, Intel (xf86-video-intel) , or Modesetting (integral to server, not separate package)?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx
    will report if you don't know (Xorg.0.log reports also, but very much more verbosely). Switching between the two might be worth trying, but when I see pauses like you describe I first suspect journaling system bloat or snapshotting. How many files are in /var/log/journal/*/? How much freespace is on the / filesystem?
    Code:
    inxi
    Not recognized.But from 'Xorg.0.log' I am assuming X11.

A few less than 30 in the /var/log/journal directory.

"/" has 27.1GiB freespace.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Ah, that would explain why compositing is disabled. Some older Intel hardware for example behaves better with XRender for composition, instead of OpenGL. Try configuring with the xrender backend, or consider disabling it in System Settings.
    I will give XRender try for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast