Thread: Problem viewing forum new posts on a tablet

Default Problem viewing forum new posts on a tablet

I use an android tablet with both Firefox and Waterford to view the desktop version (I don't like mobile versions) and when I view the New Posts and then want to mark read the Mark Forums Read shows but does not work, I have to go back and use Forums Actions drop down to do this. Very annoying.

Stuart

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem viewing forum new posts on a tablet

I had that problem a while ago. I don't remember which browser, but it wasn't firefox.

I changed themes from "openSUSE-CMS" to "Basic Green". And that solved the problem.

I'm still using "Basic Green".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Yes that works - thanks. However it would be good to fix the default so it works anyway.

Stuart

This morning I found that basic green does not support forum login which is a pain since login is frequently needed. In my view this should be fixed in the default forum mode so that changing is not required on a tablet or phone.

Stuart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    This morning I found that basic green does not support forum login which is a pain since login is frequently needed.
    Strange. Forum login works fine for me with Basic Green. But maybe that depends on something else that happens to be different between your tablet and my PC.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I have switched back to the "openSUSE-CMS" theme for testing. And I already don't like it.

What I immediately notice, is that the "Mark Forums Read" link does not work -- which is why I switched to "Basic Green".
    However, with a more detailed look: "Mark Forums Read" does work if I maximize the browser ("firefox"). But it doesn't work at a more comfortable width of around 2/3 of the screen. This is on a 1440x900 resolution screen.

I'm guessing that your tablet problem is because the screen is narrow enough to cause the problem.

In any case, I'll keep the "openSUSE-CMS" for a while, to watch for any difference with login. But maybe you could describe what you see that goes wrong with login and "Basic Green". Is it the "redirect loop" problem?
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I have tried zooming in on the page to see if it makes a difference on the tablet but nothing gets that Mark Forums Read option working. I have tried Firefox Beta, regular Firefox and Waterfox beta on Android but nothing gets it working. I might try Chrome but I dont want to use it as my browser on Android. I'm sure there is something wrong with the HTML/CSS which causes this and could be fixed.

Stuart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    I'm sure there is something wrong with the HTML/CSS which causes this and could be fixed.
    Probably true. However, I pointed out the problem several years ago, and the best answer I got was to try "Basic Green". I guess nobody wants to try modifying the page coding.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha