Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Booting & Found Culprit?

Default Slow Booting & Found Culprit?

I recently went from 42.3 to 15 as a fresh install (reformatted hard drive) and have been getting some a slow boot time on the order of 2+ minutes. I ran systemd-analyze blame and got this output:
    1min 36.366s purge-kernels.service
    22.356s plymouth-quit-wait.service
    9.164s firewalld.service
    9.164s wicked.service
    8.969s apparmor.service
    8.708s ModemManager.service
    8.126s ca-certificates.service
    6.948s lvm2-monitor.service
    5.582s polkit.service
    5.011s btrfsmaintenance-refresh.service
    4.424s initrd-switch-root.service
    4.293s rsyslog.service
    4.111s chronyd.service
    3.041s kbdsettings.service
    3.032s mcelog.service
    2.423s postfix.service
    1.417s display-manager.service
    1.335s nscd.service
    1.242s colord.service
    1.192s systemd-remount-fs.service
    1.079s fwupd.service
    1.004s systemd-udevd.service
    964ms udisks2.service
    915ms wpa_supplicant.service

The 1 minute 36 seconds seems to correspond to the long pause observed on boot where there is no disk activity. The purge-kernels.service seems to be related to finding and removing old kernels but why would it be running on every boot and on a new install?

Any insights or a fix would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Slow Booting & Found Culprit?

What does the following report?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status  purge-kernels.service
    Code:
    ls -l /boot|grep vm
    For reference, if I run purge-kernels manually, I get
    Code:
    # /sbin/purge-kernels
    /sbin/purge-kernels: Nothing to do.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougdeep View Post
    The purge-kernels.service seems to be related to finding and removing old kernels but why would it be running on every boot and on a new install?
    It runs on every boot. The first thing it does, is check for a file "/boot/purge-old-kernels". Okay, I might have that name wrong. If the file is not found, the service exits. If the file is found, then the service does its purging and removes that file.

A kernel install creates that special file.

Looking at "systemd-analyze blame" on my system, I do not see an output line for purge-kernels. However, on the first boot after a kernel update, I would expect to see that.

Maybe try booting with "plymouth.enable=0" on the kernel command. Hit 'e' at the grub prompt. Scroll down until you find a line that starts "linux" or "linuxefi". Scroll to the right on that line, and replace "splash=silent" with "plymouth.enable=0". Hit CTRL-X to continue booting.

This is a one time action. You will be looking for two things:

(1) You will see boot messages. Make notes of any that seem to suggest a problem.
    (2) Check whether the boot is significantly faster when plymouth is disabled.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    What does the following report?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status  purge-kernels.service
    Running that gives:
    purge-kernels.service - Purge old kernels
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/purge-kernels.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)
    Condition: start condition failed at Mon 2018-10-15 18:05:07 HST; 5min ago

There is a similar message for every boot since Leap 15 was installed.

Code:
    ls -l /boot|grep vm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8026729 Oct 4 22:22 vmlinux-4.12.14-lp150.12.19-default.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8028448 Oct 13 04:55 vmlinux-4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default.gz
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Oct 15 09:45 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7057520 Oct 4 22:47 vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp150.12.19-default
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65 Oct 4 22:47 .vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp150.12.19-default.hmac
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7057520 Oct 13 05:24 vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65 Oct 13 05:24 .vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default.hmac

For reference, if I run purge-kernels manually, I get
    Code:
    # /sbin/purge-kernels
    /sbin/purge-kernels: Nothing to do.
    I get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Maybe try booting with "plymouth.enable=0" on the kernel command. Hit 'e' at the grub prompt. Scroll down until you find a line that starts "linux" or "linuxefi". Scroll to the right on that line, and replace "splash=silent" with "plymouth.enable=0". Hit CTRL-X to continue booting.

This is a one time action. You will be looking for two things:

(1) You will see boot messages. Make notes of any that seem to suggest a problem.
    (2) Check whether the boot is significantly faster when plymouth is disabled.
    Thank you for the suggestion. When I did that I got a few brief messages after Grub2 and then:
    A Start Job is running for DEV-DISK-BY\X2UUIDTD733AD84\X2D5F44\~LordyThisIsALongString~.DEVICE 1min 30sec
    followed by a count-up timer. At 90 seconds the same line gets tagged with a yellow TIMED OUT and everything continues from there very quickly.

Sorry I didn't get the exact message but it is probably in a log file. Any idea which one?

Never mind, I found the log entry. In /var/log/boot.log:

[*** ] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d733ad84\x2d5fd4\x2d472b\x2d81ae\x2dc895056c6430.device (1min 30s / 1min 30s)
    [ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d733ad84\x2d5fd4\x2d472b\x2d81ae\x2dc895056c6430.device.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Resume from hibernation using device /dev/disk/by-uuid/d733ad84-5fd4-472b-81ae-c895056c6430.

There was a blurb in the Leap 15 install program about Hibernation and a check box to enable it. I remember NOT enabling hibernation since it has never worked correctly on this computer in the past. Is this log entry an indication that the OS thinks hibernation is enabled?

Blog Entries

A Start Job is running for DEV-DISK-BY\X2UUIDTD733AD84\X2D5F44\~LordyThisIsALongString~.DEVICE 1min 30sec
    That's your problem.

I ran into that on one of my computers. And a few other users have run into the problem. It's an installer bug.

Check for that string in "/etc/default/grub". You won't find the exact string, but check for part of the UUID

Code:
    grep -i 733AD84 /etc/default/grub
    If the installer finds several swap partitions, it sometimes uses the wrong one in the "resume=" parameter to the kernel.

If you find that string in "/etc/default/grub", then the best place to fix it is with Yast bootloader (kernel parameters). That way Yast will regenerate whatever related files are needed to fix it.

Maybe also check the "swap" entry in "/etc/fstab". The "resume=" parameter and the fstab "swap" entry should both be for the same partition, and it needs to be a partition that exists.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If the installer finds several swap partitions, it sometimes uses the wrong one in the "resume=" parameter to the kernel.

If you find that string in "/etc/default/grub", then the best place to fix it is with Yast bootloader (kernel parameters). That way Yast will regenerate whatever related files are needed to fix it.

Maybe also check the "swap" entry in "/etc/fstab". The "resume=" parameter and the fstab "swap" entry should both be for the same partition, and it needs to be a partition that exists.
    Thank you! That was indeed the problem with the actual swap partition having a totally different UUID. Fixed it in Yast and restarted. Now boots in under a minute.

Blog Entries

Now boots in under a minute.
    Great. I'm glad to hear that.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

22.356s plymouth-quit-wait.service
    With respect to the Plymouth "quit wait" issue, assuming that Plymouth is enabled, these two Bug Reports are currently being worked: <https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1110199> and <https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1110364>.
    • With Plymouth enabled, my current "work around" is to add a "plymouth-quit-wait.service" Conflict to '/usr/lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service' -- yes, yes, the file is by default write protected but, as "root" the vi command "w!" deals with this situation …

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast