Thread: Black screen when booting using Nvidia Driver in Prime configuration

Post Black screen when booting using Nvidia Driver in Prime configuration

Hi,

This is my first post here so going to try and do a decent job of explaining the issue...

The issue is I have a laptop which has a graphics card (Nvidia 1050ti) which dosn't connect directly to the screen and therefore am trying to use it to do all the graphics work and pass that through the Intel GPU to the display. This is what I believe can work in accordance with https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...chronization/1

So some more details ...

The laptop is a Dell XPS 9570 (i7 8750H & Nvidia 1050 TI), I'm running Tumbleweed with KDE and fully upto date, kernel 4.18.12-1-default.

So currently, I've https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus done that almost to the letter keeping in mind SDDM.

Additionally I was having issues with GLX. It seemed when Nvidia drivers loaded it was using the xorg GLX module. I fixed this however, with this setup...

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  32 Aug 31 21:14 nvidia
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  28 Aug 28 09:51 xorg
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  23 Oct 13 20:08 libglx.so -> nvidia/nvidia-libglx.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  27 Aug 21 08:27 libglx.so.bac -> /etc/alternatives/libglx.so
    By doing the above I was able to remove nearly all issues which seemed relevant from the xorg.0.log.

Now I was about to give up hope when it booted to a black screen still but then I checked "nvidia-smi" and could see everything was running.

Code:
    Sun Oct 14 18:00:18 2018       
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 390.87                 Driver Version: 390.87                    |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  GeForce GTX 105...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
    | N/A   49C    P8    N/A /  N/A |     53MiB /  4042MiB |      0%      Default |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
    |  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |    0      2158      G   /usr/bin/X                                     5MiB |
    |    0      2850      G   X                                             11MiB |
    |    0      2969      G   /usr/bin/kwin_x11                             11MiB |
    |    0      2973      G   /usr/bin/krunner                               1MiB |
    |    0      2975      G   /usr/bin/plasmashell                          21MiB |
    Upon seeing this I tried a few commands which all seemed to imply the display was not connected, but nothing I did seemed to provide a conclusive error? and now I'm stuck.

For reference below is my Xorg.conf file ...

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout"
        Screen 0 "nvidia" 
        Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Device "nvidia"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
        Option "UseDisplayDevice" "None"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "intel"
        Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "intel"
        Device "intel"
    EndSection
    this is my xorg.log file https://pastebin.com/jPSNmdqD

This is sddm's log output https://pastebin.com/cCAGEJms

Any help would be amazing, I've kinda run out of things to try now, it seems so close as I can see Nvidia card is running the stuff but just now showing me anything.

Default Re: Black screen when booting using Nvidia Driver in Prime configuration

I had a similar black-screen problem after fresh installs of openSUSE 11 to openSUSE 13 several times. The problem was that my standard auto-login user wasn’t in the »video« group. I fixed it each time by logging into a text console and typing:
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G video yourusername
    Then you can reboot or have systemd start the required services:
    Code:
     systemctl isolate graphical.target
    Good luck!

Default Re: Black screen when booting using Nvidia Driver in Prime configuration

Thanks, for this I will give this a test as soon as I can and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by willjackchan View Post
    … I will give this a test as soon as I can and let you know
    Cheers! Any success yet?