Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KMail acts strange with moving mails to other folders

Default KMail acts strange with moving mails to other folders

Hi, since a week I use openSUSE Tumbleweed, with the KDE desktop, after having used Manjaro Unstable. The system is fully updated.
    Problem I see now is this:

When I manually, or with the use of filters, move mails from the local folders inbox, which I use for my POP Gmail account, to sub folders this happens:
    Mails are moved to the correct folder and show up there while being removed from the inbox.
    After a while (and I can't say why or when this happens) the mails re-appear in the inbox as unread. When I throw them away they can easily re-appear again resulting in multiple copies of the same mail cause the filters move them to the sub folders over and over.
    Last night I thought this might be cause there is a difference between the GMail server and my inbox: GMail still contains the mails while I removed them from the inbox, so they are fetched again. But after deleting all my mails on GMail, this still happens, so they re-appear from somewhere else.

Who has any idea how this happens and what to do about it, cause this is making me having to do manual work to try to delete them, knowing they might show up again.

Thanks.
    Have installed Tumbleweed and apart from some smaller issues I like it very much.
    CPU: 8-core AMD FX-8350, GPU: GTX-760, RAM: 16GB, Disks: SSD-128GB for / (including /home), 2 times 1TB (in RAID0) HDD for Data.

Default Re: KMail acts strange with moving mails to other folders

Just found out when I let the filters move certain mails they do disappear from the inbox. When I select a different folder, doesn't matter which one, and I return to the inbox, the messages have returned.
    In other words, they don't really disappear from the inbox.
    Have installed Tumbleweed and apart from some smaller issues I like it very much.
    CPU: 8-core AMD FX-8350, GPU: GTX-760, RAM: 16GB, Disks: SSD-128GB for / (including /home), 2 times 1TB (in RAID0) HDD for Data.

Quote Originally Posted by De_Mus View Post
    Just found out when I let the filters move certain mails they do disappear from the inbox. When I select a different folder, doesn't matter which one, and I return to the inbox, the messages have returned.
    In other words, they don't really disappear from the inbox.
    You can check physical storage for messages:

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> du -csh /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/*
    344M    /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/cur
    28K     /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/new
    4,0K    /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/tmp
    344M    insgesamt
    karl@erlangen:~>
    tmp should be empty, new contains new messages. They should move to cur upon being read. Moving messages between folders should physically move them physically between directories. That is what my instance of kmail does. No reappearing messages whatsoever.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Thank you Karl, I can indeed see all the mail items there. Unfortunately they all have crypted names so I don't know which one is which one. Sure, I can open them one by one but the weekend is too short for that.

This what I see for my inbox:
    cur 0 items
    new 78 items
    tmp 0 items
    It means messages, although I have read them all, are not moved to the cur directory in the inbox? Kmail shows them as read, just checked. What can cause the mails not to be transferred to the correct folder?

Hello Karl,

I managed to move the mails in my inbox from the new to the cur folder. Lost all my mails while doing so, but happily I made a backup first so restoring them was piece of cake.
    Let's see if the filters work any better now with the mails in the correct folder. I can imagine when they stay in the new folder, the filters keep on working on them giving me a lot of duplicates.
    Question is: why were they in the new folder, why not in cur?
    I have to write this: when I started with openSUSE this week I copied all my mail from Kmail backup files into Kmail. Could this have caused it?

Hello Karl,

I managed to move the mails in my inbox from the new to the cur folder. Lost all my mails while doing so, but happily I made a backup first so restoring them was piece of cake.
    Let's see if the filters work any better now with the mails in the correct folder. I can imagine when they stay in the new folder, the filters keep on working on them giving me a lot of duplicates.
    Question is: why were they in the new folder, why not in cur?
    I have to write this: when I started with openSUSE this week I copied all my mail from Kmail backup files into Kmail. Could this have caused it?
    Hard to figure out what is going on. Symptoms point to a permission problem. Double check permissions and ownership of source and destination directory as well of mail file:

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> ls -dl /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/new/1538844339.V10303I283c30M773432.erlangen /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/new/ /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/cur/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 karl users 253952  6. Okt 18:16 /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/cur/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 karl users  28672  6. Okt 18:45 /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/new/
    -rw------- 1 karl users    494  6. Okt 18:45 /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/new/1538844339.V10303I283c30M773432.erlangen
    karl@erlangen:~>
    Reading the new message moves it to /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/inbox/cur/1538844339.V10303I283c30M773432.erlangen:2,S
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Code:
    [User: jan] @ [Server: linux-yyc4] - [Directory: ~/.local/share/local-mail/inbox]
    $ ls
    total 36
    drwxr-xr-x 2 jan users 12288 Oct  6 16:44 cur
    drwxr-xr-x 2 jan users 20480 Oct  6 16:44 new
    drwxr-xr-x 2 jan users  4096 Oct  6 16:39 tmp

Code:
    [User: jan] @ [Server: linux-yyc4] - [Directory: ~/.local/share/local-mail/inbox]
    $ ls cur
    total 6900
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jan users    8621 Oct  6 16:39 1538836771043.R637.linux-yyc4:2,S
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jan users  118892 Oct  6 16:39 1538836771128.R41.linux-yyc4:2,S
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jan users   48032 Oct  6 16:39 1538836771132.R683.linux-yyc4:2,S

Permissions look okay to me.
    Well, at the moment, since all the mail messages ar in the cur folder I don't expect any problem. Just tested it and a message arrived, I could see something flashing in the inbox but the mail was delivered straight to the correct folder and is not in the inbox anymore. When I look in Dolphin I see the folder inbox/new being empty, so it looks like the problem is solved.
    Thank you very much for your help. I'm really happy with this cause it caused me a lot of work to get the messages in the correct folder, and only 1 copy of them.

When I manually, or with the use of filters, move mails from the local folders inbox, which I use for my POP Gmail account, to sub folders this happens:
    Mails are moved to the correct folder and show up there while being removed from the inbox.
    After a while (and I can't say why or when this happens) the mails re-appear in the inbox as unread. When I throw them away they can easily re-appear again resulting in multiple copies of the same mail cause the filters move them to the sub folders over and over.
    I have this problem too; it's the issue I was attempting to describe here:
    Quote Originally Posted by dlochrin View Post
    (3) Moving messages between folders sometimes results in duplicate messages, as though messages are copied rather than moved, and a new-message notification comes up. Deleting the unwanted copy eventually works but sometimes it reappears for a while, perhaps until the indexer catches up.
    and dcurtisfra noted:
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    According to this <https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=138233&start=45> KDE Forums thread:
    With respect to (3), I've noticed that, moving mail to another folder tends to place the "moved" mail to the "new" directory of the target folder -- even though the moved mail is flagged as being "read". « I've raised a KDE Plasma 5 KMail Bug Report on this theme some time ago but, no progress yet …
    While that almost certainly explains why moving mail between folders results in a new-mail notification, the issue with duplicate emails feels to me like a timing issue, as though the indexer hasn't caught up. I find that giving Kmail time and then deleting the spurious duplicates seems to clean things up.

But it's a bug which needs to be fixed with some priority in my opinion because moving around a a swag of new emails can become very confusing, with the liklihood of mistakenly deleting one in the process.

David L.

Quote Originally Posted by dlochrin View Post

But it's a bug which needs to be fixed with some priority in my opinion because moving around a a swag of new emails can become very confusing, with the liklihood of mistakenly deleting one in the process.

David L.
    I agree with you that it is some kind of bug. As Karl wrote the messages don't belong in the 'new' but in the 'cur' folder, once they are read. But because they remain in the 'new' folder, the program thinks it has to do something with those "new" messages, resulting in duplicated all over the place. I managed to move the messages from 'new' to 'cur' and now things have stabilized. But I only did this for the inbox, in all other boxes messages are still in 'new' but since no filters are working on those messages, nothing goes wrong.

Kmail is currently improving. Many of the well known annoyances are now gone. I did not experience duplicate messages or messages suddenly appearing as unread since a long time. On rare occasions Kmail shows a duplicate entry in the inbox, which can't be read. But this entry has no physical counterpart in the file system and can only be deleted using akonadiconsole > Browser > Folder > Clear Akonadi Cache.

The following behavior can be problematic, but currently does not cause problems in my local folders (some 30,000 messages in 60 subfolders):

- When moving messages they go to the destination/new directory instead of destination/cur

- some messages are displayed as read by Kmail, but they don't have the :2,S suffix. This may be fixed by clearing the akonadi cache as already mentioned above. Being invoked again, Kmail will eventually display them as unread, but after some time elapsed they will be marked as read an given the proper suffix automatically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast