Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about zypper

Default A question about zypper

Is there a way to have zypper reinstall a package along with all of the dependencies? Specifically, I would like to reinstall hplip and everything it depends on with one command. Or, do I need to use
    Code:
    zypper if --requires hplip
    for hplip and every package it shows for each of the packages and then force a reinstall for every one of those packages?

Bart

Blog Entries

Default Re: A question about zypper

This could be scripted, but the short answer is as per your second approach to get a list of dependencies, determine the relevant packages from that output, then force reinstall them as required.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

The way I understand how the following works, it will fully "force" re-install the package completely including configuration files (a normal install without forcing at best installs the package but any configuration files that already exist are re-used and not over-written)
    Code:
    zypper in -f packagename 
    So, the package itself plus its default configuration files are re-installed, but any dependencies are only checked for their existence and usability, but are not re-installed.

Do you really think that any dependency might need to be re-installed? Ordinarily, jut re-installing the actual package <and its default configuration> should be good enough.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    The way I understand how the following works, it will fully "force" re-install the package completely including configuration files (a normal install without forcing at best installs the package but any configuration files that already exist are re-used and not over-written)
    Code:
    zypper in -f packagename 
    So, the package itself plus its default configuration files are re-installed, but any dependencies are only checked for their existence and usability, but are not re-installed.

Do you really think that any dependency might need to be re-installed? Ordinarily, jut re-installing the actual package <and its default configuration> should be good enough.

TSU
    I seem to have a corrupt or unusable file somewhere. I've spent the time to force reinstall of all the python files I can find with no results. I remember you telling me this could happen. Here's your chance to say "I told you so!"

I installed a bunch of stuff I don't need anymore so, I think I'll just backup my needed data and do a clean reinstall. It seems it'll be quicker than trying to find this particular problem.

Bart

Hi,

Does

Code:
    zypper ve
    show anything useful?
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Blog Entries

IMO
    You should back up all the way to the very beginning and post a description of your hplip problem and why you think whatever your problem is due to a package corruption somewhere.

Be detailed and exact posting your errors.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Cool Re: A question about zypper

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    I seem to have a corrupt or unusable file somewhere.
    The following commands are the means to check and repair the RPM database and, to check that, all the configuration files are correct and have been checked and if needs be changed, following upgrades, updates and patches …

1. # zypper verify
    2. # rpm --verify --all
    3. # rpm --rebuilddb
    4. # rpmconfigcheck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO
    You should back up all the way to the very beginning and post a description of your hplip problem and why you think whatever your problem is due to a package corruption somewhere.

Be detailed and exact posting your errors.

TSU
    Actually, the OP has a thread open concerning hplip already...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...blem-with-cups
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    The following commands are the means to check and repair the RPM database and, to check that, all the configuration files are correct and have been checked and if needs be changed, following upgrades, updates and patches …

1. # zypper verify
    2. # rpm --verify --all
    3. # rpm --rebuilddb
    4. # rpmconfigcheck
    Huh? DId you read the OP? Nothing from his post, that relates here.

@OP: I think you need some scripting, zypper cannot do this by itself.

What you can do, it use YaST's softwaremanager, search for the package concerned, incl. the necessary options, then update the selection unconditionally.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Well, I fixed it. I think. I spent the day doing a complete backup, creating a document with all the settings I could find, formatted all the drives, and did a fresh install. I've set everything back and now hp-setup starts. Woo Hoo!

EXCEPT: As I had upgraded my computer for several versions, before I did this, it was using susefirewall2. Now, it's using firewalld. And hp-setup says it can't find any of the printers and that I should open the ports for mdns and slp in the firewall. If that were a safe thing, wouldn't it be the default?

My head is mush after the outage last night, and doing this complete install today. I would be so greatfull if someone would just walk me through this mess with a simple "Do this and then do that".

Buy the way, HPs linux support said that they don't support hplip on Leap 15 and that I should just install 13.2 and everything would be just fine! And evolution's backup and restore didn't work, said the file was corrupt. And, of course, nVidia. But it could be worse... it could be Windows!

Bart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast