Thread: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

1. Default Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

Hi,

I did something stupid today, I didn't want to reboot after installing the latest Tumbleweed upgrade (20180928) with its new kernel, but I wanted to run a VBox VM and I kept getting the error message that says in essence that I should run /sbin/vboxconfig in order to rebuild the vboxdrv kernel module as vboxdrv.ko is not found for the running kernel, so I went into /usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src and ran `make && make install`. I found that didn't fix the issue so I decided to just reboot. Unfortunately since reboot I haven't seemed to be able to get NVIDIA to load properly. Not sure if it's due to the new kernel or my stupidity. I've tried removing /lib/modules/4.18.9-1-default, /usr/src/linux-4.18.9-1. /usr/src/kernel-modules/*, /boot/*4.18.9* and running:

Code:
    zypper in -f -y kernel-default kernel-source kernel-devel 
    zypper in -f -y x11-video-nvidia nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default virtualbox-host-kmp-default virtualbox-host-source
    (installed kernel files first so there'd be something to compile these kernel modules against; needless to say I have the official "NVIDIA" repository added). VirtualBox kernel modules install and load fine, but NVIDIA doesn't and X.Org crashes on start up. Rather here's what dmesg has to say: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/...b15mJwCRla88x/. /var/log/Xorg.0.log says: //paste.pound-python.org/show/FCwshBpN8PDowHTFvlmK/. The most notable line of the dmesg output is probably:

Code:
    [   65.685100] module: x86/modules: Skipping invalid relocation target, existing value is nonzero for type 1, loc 00000000a6cd4c23, val ffffffffc1e8a370
    running:

Code:
    modprobe -a nvidia
    returns:

Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Exec format error
    . Whereas modprobe -a nvidia-modeset returns:

Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Exec format error
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia_modeset': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Modprobing vboxdrv goes fine however, so I'm inclined to think this might be unrelated. I'm typing this from this Tumbleweed system as Nouveau loads fine at least. Is this NVIDIA issue a known, unrelated issue or is my stupidity costing me some more. If it's my stupidity please provide me a way to fix it, besides something as tedious and destructive as reinstalling Tumbleweed. If it helps my relevant lspci -k lines are:

Code:
    1f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 862a
            Kernel driver in use: nouveau
            Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
    (sharing in case my NVIDIA card specifics are relevant).

Thanks for your time,
    Brenton
    Brenton Horne: Linux enthusiast and writer of ​The Hornery.
    Seven favourite distros
    : Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, openSUSE Tumbleweed and Void.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

No btrfs ?
    Can you still boot the previous kernel ?
    Did you try reinstalling the nvidia packages ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

3. Default Re: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

I don't use Btrfs for Tumbleweed anymore because the snapshots make a nuisance of themselves as before long my system won't boot, even though to my understanding snapper is meant to delete unneeded ones automatically. I've also tried deleting them myself, trying to keep on top of it but as Btrfs' own tools don't report disk usage even reasonably well before long I ended with an unbootable system.Even when I had an almost 1 TB root partition, probably because I do a lot of packaging and upgrading.

As for reinstalling NVIDIA packages didn't you see me mention that in my post? I reinstalled the NVIDIA packages and the kernel packages, after deleting certain module/source directories that were relevant to this issue, along with the VirtualBox ones (partly as they were the ones that were involved in this stuff up of mine). I'll give the previous kernel a go, I do expect to be able to boot it.

I hope this reply doesn't come across as rude as I really do appreciate your efforts to help .
    Seven favourite distros

4. Default Re: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

The old kernel works perfectly w.r.t. VBox and NVIDIA. I would like a fix for the newest kernel but you don't always get what you want and if we find I just have to use the old one I'll cope.
    Seven favourite distros

5. Default Re: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

Oh goodie I can provide you some extra info, I reinstalled nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default and logged the output, although the output doesn't seem to indicate an error to me: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/...TZTsaK59e6Ljf/.
    Seven favourite distros

Default AW: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

Please post:
    Code:
    zypper se -si virtual kernel nvidia
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Code:
    uname -a
    So we can see, what is installed and what is running......

7. Default Re: Tried manually building VBox modules, now for 4.18.9 NVIDIA doesn't load

Sorry folks, I should have said I decided to reinstall Tumbleweed. This time with a Btrfs root file system, but a ext4 home partition. Btrfs had those issues when I had no separate home partition, so I'm wondering whether the snapshots accumulated due, in part, to the /home changes. The NVIDIA drivers are working fine now, funny thing is it took less time to get to the system to basically where I had my old system than I thought it would. Thanks for your time and efforts .
    Seven favourite distros