Thread: Epson network scanner

Default Epson network scanner

Hello,

LEAP 15 does not work similarily than earlier versions of SUSE. I have a net scanner, XP-700 Epson. I managed to get it printing today with no problem at all. Scanner on the other hand does not work via net interface.

How to get it up and running?

I tried even installing epson drivers in a way I managed to get them running at 13.2 and Leap 4x.1... without success.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/iscan_e.html#sec7

This is guide, but due lack of xined (or inetd) I cannot proceed

Blog Entries

Default Re: Epson network scanner

Just to clarify a bit further - Are you trying to configure for a network-attached scanner? Or set up a SANE client to reach a SANE server (with attached scanner) across the network?
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

With all the distro's I have used so far I have never been able to get my scanner (Epson XP-530) working, till I found a program called Vuescan. (https://www.hamrick.com/)
    It's not free but for $79,95 you've got a lifetime updated program which just works. Mind the firewall ports which need to be opened to a) find the scanner and b) to scan. I just saw these are not mentioned on the website. I'm not at home till next week so I can't tell you which ports these are at the moment, but one e-mail to Ed Hamrick and he will help you.
    Have installed Tumbleweed and apart from some smaller issues I like it very much.
    CPU: 8-core AMD FX-8350, GPU: GTX-760, RAM: 16GB, Disks: SSD-128GB for / (including /home), 2 times 1TB (in RAID0) HDD for Data.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Just to clarify a bit further - Are you trying to configure for a network-attached scanner? Or set up a SANE client to reach a SANE server (with attached scanner) across the network?
    Network attached multipurpose scanner (printer), Epson XP-700, which IS working with 13.1 and Leap 42.1 (If i remember right)...

Quote Originally Posted by De_Mus View Post
    With all the distro's I have used so far I have never been able to get my scanner (Epson XP-530) working, till I found a program called Vuescan. (https://www.hamrick.com/)
    It's not free but for $79,95 you've got a lifetime updated program which just works. Mind the firewall ports which need to be opened to a) find the scanner and b) to scan. I just saw these are not mentioned on the website. I'm not at home till next week so I can't tell you which ports these are at the moment, but one e-mail to Ed Hamrick and he will help you.
    No, I will not pay for this one. I plan to change the Epson to another printer/scanner combo. I know that it is possible to get it running easily without paying almost USD 80 for it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KPaju View Post
    Network attached multipurpose scanner (printer), Epson XP-700, which IS working with 13.1 and Leap 42.1 (If i remember right)...
    Ok, so please confirm the following...

1) The 'epkowa' backend entry is uncommented (no # character) in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

2) In /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf, you need the IP address of your scanner configured eg for a scanner at 192.168.1.30....
    Code:
    net 192.168.1.30
    3) Check that the firewall is not causing problems if active.

Lightbulb Re: Epson network scanner ---- SOLVED

Ok, so please confirm the following...

1) The 'epkowa' backend entry is uncommented (no # character) in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

2) In /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf, you need the IP address of your scanner configured eg for a scanner at 192.168.1.30....
    Code:
    net 192.168.1.30
    3) Check that the firewall is not causing problems if active.
    Thanks.

Actually I did all of these already. And then I suspected that my WLAN Extender is causing problems. Finally I found reason and fixed scanning...
    Fault found between keyboard and back of my chair.
    I for some reason put
    Code:
     net 192.162.0.105
    ... clear brain farth....
    Now up and running. Easy task ...

By the way - Epson XP-700 is quite good combo machine but it really eats ink. I plan to change it to other model. to Which.... I do not know. When printing rarely, you really pay a lot from your prints.
    Last edited by hcvv; 29-Sep-2018 at 03:50. Reason: Removed offending language

Blog Entries

As I suspected - an IP configuration issue. Glad to read that it is working as expected now.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Epson network scanner ---- SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by KPaju View Post
    By the way - Epson XP-700 is quite good combo machine but it really eats ink. I plan to change it to other model. to Which.... I do not know. When printing rarely, you really pay a lot from your prints.
    I don't print a lot (at home at least) these days. I opted for a mono laser multi-function printer several years back and haven't regretted the move at all. Much more reliable and cheaper to run with respect to consumables.

As I suspected - an IP configuration issue. Glad to read that it is working as expected now.
    YES, SAME FOR ME !!!
    THANKS A LOT !!