Thread: Not sure whether bug or by design: Orca seems no longer to read either YaST or the Search field

Lightbulb Not sure whether bug or by design: Orca seems no longer to read either YaST or the Search field

Hello all,
    I've searched all over the internet for this, and can't find anything useful or seemingly relevant. I just tossed the OpenSUSE derived Gecko Linux distribution onto one of my older computers (a Latitude D630 still alive and well), and for whatever reason, Orca behaves in two very peculiar ways with this: One, YaST is not properly read by Orca (Just sits there after reading "YaST Control Center"), nor does the search field that you can access with the super key read at all either; just get "Window". This is, I will admit, after having to install Orca manually and configure ESpeak (only the generic module works with this derivative, so wondering whether that has anything to do with it? Has anyone had different results using regular OpenSUSE? I used it and liked it about four years ago in college with version 13.2 and did not encounter these problems with Orca. I'm going to try the regular version and I'll report my findings back, but wanted to catch this and alert you guys in case it's a bug.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Not sure whether bug or by design: Orca seems no longer to read either YaST or the Search field

if by "installed manually" means you installed from some other source than an openSUSE repo,
    I'd recommend you install a package from this page

https://software.opensuse.org/package/orca

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Post Re: Not sure whether bug or by design: Orca seems no longer to read either YaST or the Search field

Ah. Thanks for the link. Will attempt to start YaST in terminal mode and see which repositories are there; my guess is that when my friend who gave me a hand installing Orca probably installed it via the Gnome packages over on the default Gnome repository. Not sure, to be honest.