Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

  1. #1

    Default Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    Hello

    I've bought a new notebook Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-C2YP.
    When I try to install Leap 15.0 using Network Image from USB stick (written with image writer), the computer immediately stalls at the Acer boot logo, showing something like a non blinking cursor at top-left. (Secure Boot disabled).
    Tried a different USB stick but no luck.
    I thought the notebook does not like linux at all.
    Then I downloaded Fedora Live, wrote it on the same USB stick using image writer again, and voila, starts like at charm, everything works WiFi, Touchpad, Sound..

    Since I prefer OpenSuse, I would like to know what the problem might be.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by theo222 View Post
    Hello

    I've bought a new notebook Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-C2YP.
    When I try to install Leap 15.0 using Network Image from USB stick (written with image writer), the computer immediately stalls at the Acer boot logo, showing something like a non blinking cursor at top-left. (Secure Boot disabled).
    Tried a different USB stick but no luck.
    I thought the notebook does not like linux at all.
    Then I downloaded Fedora Live, wrote it on the same USB stick using image writer again, and voila, starts like at charm, everything works WiFi, Touchpad, Sound..

    Since I prefer OpenSuse, I would like to know what the problem might be.

    Thank you.
    Perhaps you did not get all the steps correct when making the stick.

    Do this using Fedora:
    Plug a stick in, double(and triple)-check what device number it is assigned. (sda, sdb, sdc, or ???)
    When you know that, do:
    Code:
    cp actual-name-of-leap-installer-image /dev/sdX
    Replace the red portions with the correct information.

    NOTE that is to the device itself, /dev/sdX, and NOT to a partition on the device, so no number after it, no sdXN, just sdX
    Last edited by Fraser_Bell; 15-Sep-2018 at 15:10. Reason: Clarify
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    Thank you.

    I don't really understand. I copied both ISO images using the SUSE Studio ImageWriter tool.
    It works for Fedora, so why shouldn't it work for OpenSuse?

    Not sure if I misunderstand you.

    Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    OK, think I've taken the first hurdle.
    I have no idea why, but for OpenSuse, this BIOS setting has to be enabled on my machine:
    Code:
    Network Boot = Enabled
    This seems not necessary for Fedora Live and is disabled by default.
    I'm can see the install dialog and I try to install now.

    Thank you.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    i can confirm now, that Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-C2YP works great with Leap 15, dual booting Windows 10.
    After some fiddling in the BIOS, installation went very smooth.

    Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,662
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by theo222 View Post
    i can confirm now, that Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-C2YP works great with Leap 15, dual booting Windows 10.
    After some fiddling in the BIOS, installation went very smooth.

    Thank you.
    Nice little machine. Though 128GB for W10 and openSUSE is a bit tight IMHO. But hey, we have cloud
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7

    Default Re: Trying to install Leap 15.0 from USB Stick stalls immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Nice little machine. Though 128GB for W10 and openSUSE is a bit tight IMHO. But hey, we have cloud
    Thank you.
    it has a 256 GB SSD, which is enough for me and dual booting.
    It is a "budget" notebook, but has a good IPS display, keyboard backlight etc.
    Only 4 GB of RAM though, but I can live with that.
    It is this one
    Got it for 499 CHF (445 Euro)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •