Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Default HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

After the latest HP vendor BIOS update for my Envy x360 13m-ag0XXX I can't boot - not even run USB installation memory stick - of Linux system (using OpenSuse Tumbleweed). The boot process does start but after a certain point (I'm not sure yet which one) the screen goes blank and the system freezes. It seems that this BIOS update has disabled my HP Envy x360 laptop from running Linux.

Here is more detailed info about the BIOS update:

Type:
    BIOS

Version:
    F.19 Rev.A

Operating systems:
    Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:
    Aug 29, 2018

File name:
    sp91692.exe(19.9 MB)
    Fix and enhancements:
    - Fixes an issue which causes the touch screen to stop functioning properly.

It appears that this BIOS update may not be compatible with the latest Linux kernels - I also tried to boot from Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS USB stick. After a short moment the screen goes blank and the system hangs just like in Tumbleweed case.

Interestingly, I am able to boot Leap 15 which doesn't have the latest Kernel version.

Blog Entries

Default Re: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Do you get the grub boot screen?

If you obtain the grub boot screen, did you try booing to run level 3 ?

Default Re: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Yes - I got the Grub boot screen and I also tried runlevel=3. Still result is the same: after a short while the screen goes blank and the system freezes. I have the feeling that the most recent HP BIOS update to "fix a touchscreen issue" on the Envy x360 13m-ag0XXX w/ AMD APU somehow messed up the latest Linux Kernel functionality. I'm trying the HP forum as well - but didn't get a qualified response yet. Probably the issue is too new ... and this BIOS update hasn't been tested on Linux.

Boot without "quiet" and with "plymouth.enable=0" on kernel command line, provide photo of screen when it stops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maeller71 View Post
    Yes - I got the Grub boot screen and I also tried runlevel=3. Still result is the same: after a short while the screen goes blank and the system freezes. I have the feeling that the most recent HP BIOS update to "fix a touchscreen issue" on the Envy x360 13m-ag0XXX w/ AMD APU somehow messed up the latest Linux Kernel functionality.
    Further to to trying arvidjaar's suggestions, you could also try to boot with the "nomodeset" boot code. Edit: Please advise if you need help on how to enter that code.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 15-Sep-2018 at 23:45.

Blog Entries

Interestingly, I am able to boot Leap 15 which doesn't have the latest Kernel version.
    I note the HP thread you raised here.

In parallel, while trying to solve this, you could raise a Bug Report on openSUSE-Tumbleweed's kernel. There is guidance here for raising bug reports: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports You can use your openSUSE forum username and password when raising a bug report.

Its possible the answer will be the bug report should be raised upstream < not sure > but for certain you can also get better guidance there as to the best GNU/Linux area in which such a bug report should be followed up.

Blog Entries

There is an old bug report on the Touch Screen here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198715 but I think that is a separate problem from what you have experienced. I note there is one post there by a user (2018-09-03 03:31:59 UTC ) claiming after the BIOS update they can not get their Ubuntu to boot.

Blog Entries

There are many google posts on the HP Envy x360 and some problems, including with the latest BIOS. For example this thread: 19 / 18.x Live don't work on HP Envy x360 15m with default BIOS settings where the user in that thread described some problems they had, where booting in a 'legacy' mode helped address some of them.

Another GNU/Linux thread: AMD Ryzen: Problems and Fixes where the user in that thread seemed to be happy with a boot code "idle=nomwait" ... They also suggested disabling "C6 states" and I do not know if that would be similar on openSUSE.

Further, I do not know if these threads address the latest BIOS update that you are using.

Thanks for all the good advice. Using nomodeset actually helped to boot to text mode and getting a login prompt so I can access the system this way - but without graphics.

HP's comment about their latest BIOS update says it "Fixes an issue which causes the touch screen to stop functioning properly".

Hence could it be that the AMD graphics driver built into the latest Kernel versions is not compatible with this "BIOS fix" from HP? Is there any advice on how to best proceed from there? B.t.w. is there also a way to "circumvent" the AMD driver in the Kernel for the time being and boot into a non-accelerated standard graphics mode?

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the good advice. Using nomodeset actually helped to boot to text mode and getting a login prompt so I can access the system this way - but without graphics.
    Did you try 'nomodeset' by itself without commanding 'run level 3' (ie to text mode)?

My fuzzy understanding is when the PC boots with openSUSE, for graphics configuration, it first looks in the /etc/X11 for an xorg.conf file, which is not normally present. Then it looks in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory for a file such as 50-device.conf, 50-monitor.conf, 50-screen.conf, or other, which it can use to configure one's grapics. Normally the information in those files are commented out. So that normally is not used.

Then it looks for kernel drivers for the graphics via 'mode setting'. This is typically where the graphic driver comes from.

By specifying 'nomodeset' as a boot code, you tell the boot process not to use those kernel drivers, but rather have X windows manager configure the graphics. Assuming no proprietary graphic driver, then neither the proprietary graphic driver, nor the open source graphic driver will be used, but possibly instead X windows will have a very basic frame buffer graphic driver (FBDEV) used, which as I stated is very basic. This frame buffer graphic driver is incredibly compatible with massive amounts of graphic hardware.

When you specify 'run level 3' then there will be no attempt to use the frame buffer driver from 'nomodeset' to boot graphics.

I'm very shaky on the above, and it likely has many inaccuracies, but hopefully it gives a sense as to what takes place.

So based on the above, if you did not do so already, please try 'nomodeset' without 'run level 3'.

You could also try some of the boot codes in the https://forum.manjaro.org/t/amd-ryze...-fixes/55533/3 bug report and also some of the boot codes in the https://forum.manjaro.org/t/amd-ryze...-fixes/55533/3 bug report - but that is highly speculative on my part.

Also, did you follow arvidjaar's advice ? If so, what did it yield?
    Last edited by oldcpu; 16-Sep-2018 at 12:02.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast