Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Blog Entries

Default Re: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, that will work too. Some slight reformatting is needed to present it in the Xorg config file though. For example, I get the following reported...
    Code:
    bus-ID: 00:02.0
    This then gets reformatted for Xorg use with colon-separated values...
    Code:
    PCI:00:02:0
    I retested with my laptop (I happened to be looking at the /sys/bus/pci/devices directory when I ran the command, but that is not relevant to this):
    Code:
    linux:/sys/bus/pci/devices # inxi -Gxx | grep bus-ID
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0166
    Using that (and advise from your post) I then updated the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file to read:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
             Identifier "devname"
             Driver "fbdev"
             BusID  "PCI:00:02:0"
    EndSection
    I rebooted and the FBDEV driver appeared to load without error (as previous there was an error with a note the FBDEV was falling back to an old probe for FBDEV (or something like that).

There is still a lot more I need to learn here.

Hopefully this meandering of mine has been helpful and not disruptive to maeller71 .

Blog Entries

Default Re: HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7) won't run Linux after BIOS update 8/20/2018 - 15.19.0.0, F.19 Rev.A

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I retested with my laptop...
    That reads like progress Lee. Not something I've had to use/experiment with for a long time. Hopefully, the OP can get it working as well.

FWIW, the vesa driver should be able to be used in the same manner.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Thank you so much for your very helpful response. Now I am able for the first time in a long time to log in to my current Linux system in graphical mode.

Here is how it currently works for me:

(1) I modified 50-device.conf to have the following active code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "fbdev"
    EndSection

(2) At each new start of Linux I press "e" key at the Grub2 boot screen and add the following kernel boot parameter:

nomodeset

Note that without doing (2) - which basically disables KMS in latest Linux kernels as believe I learned recently - I still get the blank screen at boot and the system freezes.

So now I have at least a working system- thank you! The resolution, however, is only 800x600 while the display can support a full-HD (1920x1080) resolution. Is there any way to tell "fbdev" to use the full-HD resolution?

Coming back to the original problem. It looks like that this HP BIOS F.19 Rev.A update to fix something with the HP Envy x360 laptop screen has made my system (I'm using Kernel 4.18.5-1) having issues with built-in KMS. I'm guessing here since I'm not the expert.

The "fbdev" in 50-device.conf file is a work-around but I think we should address the original problem, too. Do you have any advice for me how to proceed next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maeller71 View Post
    Thank you so much for your very helpful response. Now I am able for the first time in a long time to log in to my current Linux system in graphical mode.

Here is how it currently works for me:

(1) I modified 50-device.conf to have the following active code:

Code:
    Section "Device"
      Driver "fbdev"
    EndSection
    That is good to know and I note that you did not need to include the BusID explicitly.

(2) At each new start of Linux I press "e" key at the Grub2 boot screen and add the following kernel boot parameter:

nomodeset

Note that without doing (2) - which basically disables KMS in latest Linux kernels as believe I learned recently - I still get the blank screen at boot and the system freezes.
    That can be automated by modifying the GRUB boot line permanently if desired.

So now I have at least a working system- thank you! The resolution, however, is only 800x600 while the display can support a full-HD (1920x1080) resolution. Is there any way to tell "fbdev" to use the full-HD resolution?
    No, the framebuffer is a basic driver with limited display resolution support. You may be able to get better display resolution using the vesa driver.

The "fbdev" in 50-device.conf file is a work-around but I think we should address the original problem, too. Do you have any advice for me how to proceed next?
    Yes, this is just a workaround to give you a basic working graphical environment. Hopefully, others can advise as to how to get the amdgpu driver working for you.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 18-Sep-2018 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That is good to know and I note that you did not need to include the BusID explicitly.

That can be automated by modifying the GRUB boot line permanently if desired.

No, the framebuffer is a basic driver with limited display resolution support. You may be able to get better display resolution using the vesa driver.

Yes, this is just a workaround to give you a basic working graphical environment. Hopefully, others can advise as to how to get the amdgpu driver working for you.
    Ok - how do I need to modify the 50-device.conf file (or any other file) to switch to vesa driver? Sorry for this simple question but I just want to make sure I get it right.

Section "Device"
    Driver "fbdev"
    EndSection

Change fbdev to vesa

I did that and the system didn't start in graphics mode but presented me with login prompt in text mode. After reverting back to "fbdev" I could start in graphics mode again ... but with 800x600 resolution only.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maeller71 View Post
    I did that and the system didn't start in graphics mode but presented me with login prompt in text mode. After reverting back to "fbdev" I could start in graphics mode again ... but with 800x600 resolution only.
    Do you have 'xf86-video-vesa' installed?

It may also not be compatible with your hardware perhaps. Analysis of the Xorg log would be needed.

Blog Entries

Can you supply your graphics hardware details please?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx

Yes - I do have "xf86-video-vesa" installed.

Here is the output of inxi -Gxx:
    Graphics:
    Card-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega
    Mobile Series]
    driver: N/A bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 1002:15dd
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: none
    unloaded: fbdev resolution: 800x600~75Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0 128 bits)
    v: 3.3 Mesa 18.1.7 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast